Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Amerihealth Pavilion sign is done. And I guess that Celine has a pretty big stage for all of those trucks! She is performing at a fundraiser down at the arena for the Newark Rennaisance House tonight. Link Also, the Ironmen WILL be back next year in the Xtreme Soccer League. Ironmen Site

amerihealthpavsign.jpg

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=381712

"AmeriHealth New Jersey is a part of what has been a tremendous revitalization of Newark," Vanderbeek said. "You will not know this city in five years, and you will have been a part of it from the beginning."

Vanderbeek noted progress being made with demolition around Prudential Center and presented Roman with a No. 1 Devils jersey customized with "AmeriHealth."

Thought that I'd post this here too if that's ok with you Prucenterrules.

Edited by The Rock 07

The Liberty Plaza has announced its final plans for the first phase of its development. It will be across the street from Broad Street Station and Riverfront Stadium. The first phase will have a 22 story office tower. Look at post 518 for the article.

Link

Here's an article from Bloomberg about that Mayor Booker is trying to lure Wall Street businesses to Newark. Here's an interesting quote from the article

Also scheduled to break ground soon are two hotels and the Richardson Lofts development two blocks from the arena, the mayor said.
Two hotels?!? Alright!!! The Richardson Lofts is a refurbishment of an old industrial building down by Lincoln Park (less than a mile south of The Rock on Broad) that will turn it into 60 someodd condos. Article

Richardson Lofts

Here's an article from Bloomberg about that Mayor Booker is trying to lure Wall Street businesses to Newark. Here's an interesting quote from the article Two hotels?!? Alright!!! The Richardson Lofts is a refurbishment of an old industrial building down by Lincoln Park (less than a mile south of The Rock on Broad) that will turn it into 60 someodd condos. Article

Richardson Lofts

Sweet I cant wait to see that statue :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

DougieBrown posted this over in Heaven, but I thought I'd add it to this thread.

Corner Bar Cashes In as Newark Redevelops -- NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/business...amp;oref=slogin

FOUR years ago, John Brito and Antonio Rodrigues, natives of the Ironbound section of Newark, bought a rough-and-tumble corner bar downtown on Mulberry Street called the Caverna. They planned to turn the three-story building into an establishment that was part pub and part lounge, both uncommon then in Newark.

Nearly $1 million in renovations later

Y'know it'd be nice for members of this board to pick a bar around the arena area and start going there for away games to watch. I'd be game to go.

I was hoping to do that at Hell's Kitchen, until I realized that it's expensive enough buying game & train tickets to home games, and it's just cheaper to sit at home or a friends house with beer and watch the road games, than spend money on a train ticket to watch 'em.

That said, I'd be up for doing such a thing once or twice, especially come playoff time.

Y'know it'd be nice for members of this board to pick a bar around the arena area and start going there for away games to watch. I'd be game to go.

Seconded. I'd show up. There are no regular devils watching places around here in Paramus, although some fans show up to the Hooters sometimes.

Like thelastonealive said, I'd be down for a few games here and there. Brick is a little too far from Newark to be making 41 trips, especially when my roomate just got a sick new TV. :D

Maybe some road games vs. the Rags or Flyers?

We should definitely organize some meet-ups at a bar or somewhere to watch come games in advance. I live up in Poughkeepsie NY, but me and a couple of buddies would definitely be down to take the ride as long as we had some notice.

Let's make it happen.

Same here, I live across the river from Pough-town. With some notice, me and a couple people would head down.

Of course, like someone else said, not too often, since I got a new HD TV for this season... :boogie:

Same here, I live across the river from Pough-town. With some notice, me and a couple people would head down.

Of course, like someone else said, not too often, since I got a new HD TV for this season... :boogie:

Someone should assign a bunch of dates as meet up games. Makes it easy for everyone.

OK, lets try for the Saturday October 25th away game against the Flyers and seeing as how it started this whole idea lets do the Arena Bar. Schedule the meetup for 6:30pm as the puck drop is at 7.

I was thinking a home game that we all went to during a weekday where the bar isn't insanely packed. Unless that is you want to plan an invasion of Philly as a huge group of Devils fans. LOL

Not to sidetrack the current train of thought, but I was at the game tonight and Brick City Bar & Grill wasn't done yet and Arena Bar wasn't open. I saw the big LED screen in the Verizon tower and it's pretty freakin cool (I'll post photos later). Still no statue, but there are big Devils and Prudential logos painted on the sidewalk around the area where I presume the statue will go. They also still have the "Rock Your Red" stuff on those big blank spaces between upper level sections.

I think that's all.

Hey all!

Went to the game last night (and going tonight too) and I have pictures of what's new around The Rock.

Here's the Arena Bar. They are just serving drinks now and they will have all new food items in two weeks. They are going to open a sports bar in the back and then a sit down part too. The inside looks absolutely gorgeous! Its in a Roman Coliseum theme.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08001.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08002.jpg

Here's the new video screen in the Verizon Tower. It looks really great from the outside and on the inside it really dominates the concourse. It reflects on to the floor of the concourse and onto the glass of the tower.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08003.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08012.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08021.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08022.jpg

They switched from Coke to Pepsi.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08016.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08017.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08018.jpg

The skybridge entrance is open.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08019.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08020.jpg

What is this space behind section 225? It would make a great bar. Banners Bar?

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08014.jpg

View from there.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08015.jpg

The entry plaza is coming along. They tore down one of the three buildings that I pointed out in August. The statue is supposed to come in within the week.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08004.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08005.jpg

Last but CERTAINLY not least, I got a sneak peek of Brick City Bar and Grill. The door to it was open and the owner was standing in the doorway and he showed me the inside. It is going to open in two weeks. It is going to be really awesome! They have tons of brick all over the place. There are going to be three floors. The basement which is the kitchen and some seating, the main floor which has the bar and seating,and then a lounge on the second floor.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08006.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08007.jpg

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08009.jpg

The stairs to the lounge upstairs. And the entryway to the main restaurant on the left.

DevilsIslandersPreseason10-3-08011.jpg

Edited by The Rock 07