KOVALCHUK OUT TONIGHT GAME 2

mikepeluso8

Yep... This was the inevitable. Unfortunately it seems Tim Sestito is his replacement. While I like his energy and grit, it's a real testament to the lack of depth we have on the wing.

While it hurts our depth for sure, it is still no reason to panic.

Hell Florida gave us fits the last round even when they, along with Ottawa, were supposed to be the thinnest teams in the Eastern playoffs.

Zharkov............

Are you having a laugh??

What has this guy ever done to deserve time in New Jersey.

Poor Sestito.

FTFY.

Honestly neither are impressive but I think Sestito brings more grit which is what they want against the Flyers.

I agree, that there's no reason to panic. We have a resilient group of guys. They held down the fort while Zach was out (at least for the second half of last season), they did it for Zajac too. I think they'll put their heart and soul into getting a win for the injured Kovalchuk too.

Hell Florida gave us fits the last round even when they, along with Ottawa, were supposed to be the thinnest teams in the Eastern playoffs.

FTFY.

Honestly neither are impressive but I think Sestito brings more grit which is what they want against the Flyers.

Of course thanks for that :rolleyes:

Zharkov can play a gritty game with speed, and he can play on the PK , also 3 short handed goals this season.

My guess is they will bump Bernier or Clarkson up a line and Sestito will play on the 4th line.

At least it will make the NBC guys realize that its not because he was lazy in Game 1, but because he was hurt.

Did anybody understand Pierres' post game interview with Briere? I couldn't understand it because Brieres D!ck was so far down Pierres throat.

Of course thanks for that :rolleyes:

Zharkov can play a gritty game with speed, and he can play on the PK , also 3 short handed goals this season.

My guess is they will bump Bernier or Clarkson up a line and Sestito will play on the 4th line.

Zharkov can play a pretty gritty game, but he also got knocked around a bit at the same time. Sestito held his ground a little better.

I can imagine Clarkson moves up to the 2nd line and Bernier moves up to the 3rd line and Sestito fits in the 4th line.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's out for a few more games as well. It's obvious he has a serious injury that to my look, has to be pretty painful as well.

The fact the Devils are calling up Sestito in his place, does speak volumes about the lack of depth in the organization and the future prospects the Devils have at forward. As Triumph pointed out in another thread, if Parise leaves, this team will have a lot of issues the next year or two at forward/wing (without getting into the this or that on whether the money or contract length makes sense).

Good thing about Sestito, like you've all said, is his grit and intensity. He doesn't take too many penalties but does play hard. And I think he'll DRAW some penalties out of the Flyers. He's like a Clarkson from 3-4 years ago, could be good, could be bad... We'll see.

Just trying to stay optimistic.

At least it will make the NBC guys realize that its not because he was lazy in Game 1, but because he was hurt.

Did anybody understand Pierres' post game interview with Briere? I couldn't understand it because Brieres D!ck was so far down Pierres throat.

I turned it off after Pierre's first question was 'What is it about you and the playoffs?' Is there really a dumber question?

Anyway, bringing up Tim Sestito is a complete joke, this guy should be sitting out AHL playoff games, and here he is in the NHL. Forward depth is something Lou will have to address, neither Stephen Gionta or Tim Sestito belong in the NHL.

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

Lou Lamoriello confirms that Ilya Kovalchuk won't play tonight.

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

Lamoriello said Kovalchuk has a lower body injury and remained in NJ

Good thing about Sestito, like you've all said, is his grit and intensity. He doesn't take too many penalties but does play hard. And I think he'll DRAW some penalties out of the Flyers. He's like a Clarkson from 3-4 years ago, could be good, could be bad... We'll see.

We should be all trying to do that since the game hasn't even been played yet. If the Devils win and Sestito has a part in it you can be this board will be filled with posts on what a genius move Lou made in calling him up.

Lets wait until the game is over before we bitch about this.

Rich Chere ‏ @Ledger_NJDevils

Lamoriello said Kovalchuk is day to day and team will not comment further

Tom Gulitti Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

Lamoriello said the injury has been bothering Kovalchuk since the middle of the Florida series.

Rich Chere ‏ @Ledger_NJDevils

Lamoriello said Kovalchuk is day to day and team will not comment further

Tom Gulitti Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

Lamoriello said the injury has been bothering Kovalchuk since the middle of the Florida series.

That sorta makes sense in terms of time frame. He seemed fine in game 1 and I think at least the first period of game 2. I really wonder what caused it and when exactly.

The guy has 0 goals in 64 NHL games. He's like Clarkson if you removed the goal-scoring talent and added more falling down. The 4th line will get annihilated tonight, it's just a question of whether Brodeur can make the stops.

• Like 1