NJDevs '13-14 FHL (Fantasy Hockey) is ready to go!

NJDevs4978

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 trade offers out for Karlsson, no response in 4 days, I'm going to start keeping a list of dead teams so we can keep these teams out nnext year, if you donot like my offer reject, but please donot ignore them!!!

I was gonna wait till after the year to say this for sure but next year I think we're scaling back to 14 teams MAX.  There's just been too many dead teams the last two-three years and that doesn't really help gameplay.  And if that doesn't work down it should go down to 12 the year after.

It just makes it too predictable as well cause the best teams are generally going to stay the best teams in a 20-team format (ayl, me, you).  With fewer teams it might be a bit more unpredictable with more talent spread out.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was gonna wait till after the year to say this for sure but next year I think we're scaling back to 14 teams MAX.  There's just been too many dead teams the last two-three years and that doesn't really help gameplay.  And if that doesn't work down it should go down to 12 the year after.

It just makes it too predictable as well cause the best teams are generally going to stay the best teams in a 20-team format (ayl, me, you).  With fewer teams it might be a bit more unpredictable with more talent spread out.

Agreed.  although one of my favorite things about our league is having to draft and play marginal fantasy players.     Scaling back six teams, raises the bar 108 players which is quite significant (but we've been near that before recently though).   Perhaps a compromise; keep a running list of who isn't active and not invite them back?

I mean in 2011 we had 17 teams, 2012 we had 19; so it's not like we push for twenty or don't have a league.     At the same time, I think roto doesn't require daily maintenance; or has the time commitment a H2H league has.  You can check your team every week and a half and adjust for injuries and do really well.    You can't do well if you have players on IR for a fair amount of time, but rostered in a starting spot.  -- which is frankly how I would determine if they are inactive.   Some people sit on trade proposals quite a while and I think that's fine.  If it's too long for my liking, I cancel.  Sometimes I hear back that they were still mulling it over; sometimes I hear nothing.

Edited by aylbert

Don't get me wrong I like the challenge of the 20-team format too, in theory at least.  But it becomes far less of a challenge with the inactivity of a majority of teams, perfect example being when Grabovski was cut a few weeks ago and I was tenth in the waiver claim and somehow got him.

Sorry Red, I was debating it then forgot to answer.  (I was leaning no anyway!)

I really was not even talking about you, you are usually really good at getting back...

there are 3 other offers out that have not.

if you need something to sweeten the deal let me know....

Agreed.  although one of my favorite things about our league is having to draft and play marginal fantasy players.     Scaling back six teams, raises the bar 108 players which is quite significant (but we've been near that before recently though).   Perhaps a compromise; keep a running list of who isn't active and not invite them back?

I mean in 2011 we had 17 teams, 2012 we had 19; so it's not like we push for twenty or don't have a league.     At the same time, I think roto doesn't require daily maintenance; or has the time commitment a H2H league has.  You can check your team every week and a half and adjust for injuries and do really well.    You can't do well if you have players on IR for a fair amount of time, but rostered in a starting spot.  -- which is frankly how I would determine if they are inactive.   Some people sit on trade proposals quite a while and I think that's fine.  If it's too long for my liking, I cancel.  Sometimes I hear back that they were still mulling it over; sometimes I hear nothing.

I agree, and i have no problem if someone is thinking about it, just let me know, but I think I have had 5 or 6 trade proposals that were never answered and disappeared becuase the time limit came.

My bigger issue w/ dead teams is the IR players in the starting line up, if these guys were active they would put another player in who might get them some stats and keep other from gaining important pts! 

I think the bottom 4 all have players in their line up that are either on the IR or NA.  at least 1 team has mulitple players like that.

Also i think w. 14 teams would make the waiver wire a bit more interesting, like someone said that another 90 to 100 players that are avaialble is injuries do occur.... 

Don't get me wrong I like the challenge of the 20-team format too, in theory at least.  But it becomes far less of a challenge with the inactivity of a majority of teams, perfect example being when Grabovski was cut a few weeks ago and I was tenth in the waiver claim and somehow got him.

I miss the waivers all the time...  sometimes I see guys as a free agent and wonder how they got there.

It's not usually the same teams that participate year-to-year anyway aside from the few regulars like us/red that are left.  Losing Manta/halfshark and a few others (that were regulars year-to-year) kinda hurt too.  It just seems like every year we have to put this thread in the main forum and drag people into participating to even fill out to those levels.  Before the first lockout when we had this people were jumping to partake, so much so there was two leagues one year.  Interest has kinda crept down every year it seems, where even half the ones that sign up don't usually stay active for long.

We could always expand the rosters/starting lineup too to compensate for fewer teams, thus still keeping the challenge of playing marginal/role players.  Just thinking aloud but maybe with fewer teams turn around and make it like a real NHL team with four C, four LW, four RW and six D starting and a couple bench players. Rosters would have to balloon to 24-25 or something like that but there's not much difference in 24x14 (players/teams) = 336 as opposed to the current 18x20 = 360  

Goalies would still be a challenge in a 14-16 team league although at least every team could reasonably hope to have two starters there at least.  With a 20-team league, half the teams have to have a backup (preferably their starter's backup) as their #2.  Still wouldn't be much available on the wire in-season depending on roster size though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah well I lucked out with Trouba getitng those two SH goals, he was pretty much in my doghouse after his -3 last week.  At least Stepan's picked it up but my LW production has suffered now that Franzen suffered yet another setback.  Of course it doesn't help I sat Raymond last night for Palat who did nothing, then sat Palat today after he's gone scoreless in like 5-6 games in a row and he's already got two points up.

Agreed. although one of my favorite things about our league is having to draft and play marginal fantasy players. Scaling back six teams, raises the bar 108 players which is quite significant (but we've been near that before recently though). Perhaps a compromise; keep a running list of who isn't active and not invite them back?

I mean in 2011 we had 17 teams, 2012 we had 19; so it's not like we push for twenty or don't have a league. At the same time, I think roto doesn't require daily maintenance; or has the time commitment a H2H league has. You can check your team every week and a half and adjust for injuries and do really well. You can't do well if you have players on IR for a fair amount of time, but rostered in a starting spot. -- which is frankly how I would determine if they are inactive. Some people sit on trade proposals quite a while and I think that's fine. If it's too long for my liking, I cancel. Sometimes I hear back that they were still mulling it over; sometimes I hear nothing.

if we scale the amount of teams back just add the amount of players each team has to draft. That way we can still go just as deep

if we scale the amount of teams back just add the amount of players each team has to draft. That way we can still go just as deep

I mentioned that earlier in the thread...it's a real possibility for next year.  It has gotten a bit stale with the same parameters/roster composition pretty much every year too, so it's a plus from that end to tweak the league size/roster size in one fell swoop.

Only thing I'm not sure about at this point is how big the final roster should be.  Right now I'm thinking 24 players.  Having 23 players would really make it like an NHL roster but it probably isn't realistic in fantasy to have only four bench spots, plus it would be an unbalanced draft.  Even five bench spots might be pushing it though at least in theory you could have one of each position (C, LW, RW, D, G) as a backup with nineteen starters. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

What worries me about you is you definitely have room to move up offensively, and while you're pretty much tapped out with your goaltending numbers you're not going to go down that much with Rask either.

I've been on a tear all around since then; and I'm already nearing tapping out offensively.    Goaltending has been hot/cold these past few weeks but still ok.   But it's been a while since I saw a net point depreciation...    It has to be coming because the easy spots to pickup points are disappearing.   Scoring might still have some meat on the bone, but that's saying I think I'll win the categories outright now - barring injuries.

I suck year in and year out on hits/blocks.

Goals: 3rd, trailing by 9 and 16

Assists: 3rd, trailing by 6 and 9

+/-: 2nd, trailing by 5

PPP: 5th, Trailing by 2, 7, 13, 17

SHP: 4th, trailing by 1, 2 and 2 

GWG: 1st, Leading by 2

FW: 6th, trailing by 23, 83, 161, 249, Red....   ha, 606

Hits: 15th... ok, I'm not very physical.

Blocks: 10th...  meh

Wins: 5th, tailing by 3, 4, 5, 6

GAA: 4th, trailing by .05, .12, .23

SV%: 2nd, trailing by .004

SHO: Tied, leading by 1.