Kenny Agostino

MadDog2020

You're spiteful. Just stop it already. 

You need to learn more about where you live and the economic impact of people who spend the Summers there. Problem is you're too spiteful, stubborn and ignorant to think any other way. The shore can not survive just on it's permanent residents alone, whether or not they are there 9 months more. Not everyone has the same level of disposable income and are willing to spend it all year there. There are affluent people there for three months and they spend money every night for three months. 

I've been a Summer shore resident (LBI) for 30 years or probably anywhere from 5-10 years before you were born. I've seen people sell out, people who were "proud" of where they lived until that check was handed to them. Shanties and small housing torn down and rebuilt into rentals. Properties with trailers and abandoned boats turned into million dollar homes. Restaurants that once drew local color turn into social hubs. I've seen the social and economic revival of the Shore and that's just where i was. 

And by the way, that last line? Thanks for putting words in my mouth, punk. I've donated more money and spent more money last Summer to help LBI and it's businesses then i care to admit. Just like 24 years worth of Devils tickets.....how about you? 

The Shore can't survive on its permanent residents alone because all the permanent residents are gone. What can't you understand about that? I can't tell you in any more a creative way that 365 days of economic activity is going to have a bigger impact than forty. It's simple.

For what reason do I have to be spiteful? I care about the interest of my home. That's where my interests lie. I have no reason to resent or have some ill feelings towards anything that is beneficial to the culture and economy of the place I've spent my entire life. The way the Shore has been exploited is not in the interest of the people or the wildlife of our region. Ask the baymen. Ask the pineys. Ask the decoy carvers and scallop fishermen. Ask the families who have been here for generations. Your interests lie elsewhere. It's attitudes like yours that has led the feeling of resentment to be focused not only on the unfortunate market conditions that have created this environment, but to the people like you.

Why would I be arbitrarily spiteful? I, and many others who grew up and reside on the shore have our reasons to resent the summer resident.

People spending 365 days a year in any location will have a greater economic impact than people spending forty. More people spending more time means more money being spent. You can't reasonably argue that less money being spent means a better economy. It's very simple. The economics of places just off the beaches with a high percentage of permanent residents do just fine. Great, in fact. Pretty bold of you to try to lecture me about the place I've lived my entire life, though. Boldness gets you places.

I Understand that the market created the conditions for such a unique form of gentrification. The real estate industry is the one sector that benefited from this.

You're attitude of "you're recovering from a major disaster, you should be thanking me for coming" makes you sound like a real piece of sh!t.

I can see both sides having been a part of a family with a home "down the shore" for over 20 years.  That being said, out of curiosity, where exactly do you live?  I am curious because there are varying levels of this argument...for instance, Red Bank is very different than Lavalette or Ortley Beach and Asbury Park vs. Harvey Cedars...where do you live? 

The Shore can't survive on its permanent residents alone because all the permanent residents are gone. What can't you understand about that? I can't tell you in any more a creative way that 365 days of economic activity is going to have a bigger impact than forty. It's simple.

For what reason do I have to be spiteful? I care about the interest of my home. That's where my interests lie. I have no reason to resent or have some ill feelings towards anything that is beneficial to the culture and economy of the place I've spent my entire life. The way the Shore has been exploited is not in the interest of the people or the wildlife of our region. Ask the baymen. Ask the pineys. Ask the decoy carvers and scallop fishermen. Ask the families who have been here for generations. Your interests lie elsewhere. It's attitudes like yours that has led the feeling of resentment to be focused not only on the unfortunate market conditions that have created this environment, but to the people like you.

You listed all your reasons. You're spiteful. This isn't about where your interests lie. If it were so, you wouldn't sound like you had a grudge or spite towards others. It's about finger pointing, laying blame and failure to understand where money comes from that sustains parts of the shore region. Instead, you should focus your spite/grudges on the people who sold out when the money came calling. The people laughing to the bank who certainly "cared about where their interests lay". 

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

You're spiteful and need to learn more about where you live and the economic impact of people who spend the Summers there. Problem is you're too spiteful and ignorant to think any other way. The shore can not survive just on it's permanent residents alone, whether or not they are there 9 months more. Not everyone who lives there can afford to or has the same level of disposable income and are willing to spend it all year there. There are affluent people there for three months and they spend money every night for three months. I personally know residents who have rented and spent $20-25K a summer. Even 10k a summer. Figure rental, boat storage/fees, gas, dinner every night, 3 kids, etc....and you'll see what i mean. Then try to sell me on your little economic theory some more. It's a hell of alot more then i spend!

I've been a Summer shore resident (LBI) for 30 years or probably anywhere from 5-10 years before you were born. I've seen people sell out, people who were "proud" of where they lived until that check was handed to them. Shanties and small housing torn down and rebuilt into rentals. Properties with trailers and abandoned boats turned into million dollar homes. Restaurants that once drew local color turn into social hubs. I've seen the social and economic revival of the Shore and that's just where i was. 

And by the way, that last line? Thanks for putting words in my mouth, punk. I've donated more money and spent more money last Summer to help LBI and it's businesses then i care to admit or could spare, but i did because i love the area. Again, just like 24 years worth of Devils tickets from a previous thread you attacked me in.....how about you?

And I will jump on board and make a broad-sweeping, presumably "ignorant" statement....2-3 years ago, my dad got wacked with a property tax increase of something like 2-3x what he was paying in the past for our home in Berkeley Township (I can't recall the exact figure but he, along with our neighbors and friends were besides themselves).  As the residents of this particular area of this township(the non-365 day a year types) began to fight back, the reply by the mayor and the "365 day a year" residents: "welp, you come down here from North Jersey with all of your money, this is your second home, you can clearly afford it..." so on and so forth.  So to attack people who come down and spend lots of time, dollars, etc. in your "home" is foolish and misinformed; not only are WE helping to support the local economy, we are ALSO footing the bill for a lot of property tax increases and other associated costs.  The best part of this story is that the "365 day a year" residents all had a slight increase in their property taxes and did not feel the pain that my dad and others did in our area.

For the record: my family is by no means "rich" or "wealthy"...simply afforded a comfortable lifestyle by a long line of extremely hard-working people who made a lot of out a little...specifically in real estate.

Edited by mikepeluso8

Dude, you and every other person who lives near a beach/ocean/body of water/Mother Earth on the planet.  You are of a very provincial mindset, clearly.  Ever been to Florida?  California? Costa Rica? Anywhere but NJ?  Wake up.  Your problems are far bigger than what's occurring at the Jersey Shore.  

Stupid Flanders lol

Just saw a clip they played on MSG when he played for Delbarton. I recognize the team they were playing in the two-tone blue - my alma mater West Morris Central

yeah, native Jerseans these days being raised Ranger fans (or even Flyer fans for that matter) is an epidemic. There's a jersey team now, get on the bandwagon.

My high school was split between Rangers/ Devils with 1 Flyers fan (dunno why) out of those who played/followed hockey. Most of the Ranger fans were just Ranger fans because their parents were, or they read too much into that team of '94

Edited by Legion15

Dude, you and every other person who lives near a beach/ocean/body of water/Mother Earth on the planet.  You are of a very provincial mindset, clearly.  Ever been to Florida?  California? Costa Rica? Anywhere but NJ?  Wake up.  Your problems are far bigger than what's occurring at the Jersey Shore.  

I totally agree. 1000%. I was just addressing the issue at-hand.

Edited by thecoffeecake

And I will jump on board and make a broad-sweeping, presumably "ignorant" statement....2-3 years ago, my dad got wacked with a property tax increase of something like 2-3x what he was paying in the past for our home in Berkeley Township (I can't recall the exact figure but he, along with our neighbors and friends were besides themselves).  As the residents of this particular area of this township(the non-365 day a year types) began to fight back, the reply by the mayor and the "365 day a year" residents: "welp, you come down here from North Jersey with all of your money, this is your second home, you can clearly afford it..." so on and so forth.  So to attack people who come down and spend lots of time, dollars, etc. in your "home" is foolish and misinformed; not only are WE helping to support the local economy, we are ALSO footing the bill for a lot of property tax increases and other associated costs.  The best part of this story is that the "365 day a year" residents all had a slight increase in their property taxes and did not feel the pain that my dad and others did in our area.

For the record: my family is by no means "rich" or "wealthy"...simply afforded a comfortable lifestyle by a long line of extremely hard-working people who made a lot of out a little...specifically in real estate.

Paying higher property tax still doesn't account for the dollars lost. Especially in Berkeley Township. I would 100% agree with levying significantly property taxes on vacation properties. That way, either the money lost to part time residents is made up at least in tax revenue, or they move out and full time residents move back in. Again, 365>40. You are hurting our economy.

You listed all your reasons. You're spiteful. This isn't about where your interests lie. If it were so, you wouldn't sound like you had a grudge or spite towards others. It's about finger pointing, laying blame and failure to understand where money comes from that sustains parts of the shore region. Instead, you should focus your spite/grudges on the people who sold out when the money came calling. The people laughing to the bank who certainly "cared about where their interests lay". 

What am I spiteful about? What "grudge" do I hold? This is not just me acting out, this is how the population of the area generally feels. And you think you know better than we do about our region. You just want to defend how you vacation.

Paying higher property tax still doesn't account for the dollars lost. Especially in Berkeley Township. I would 100% agree with levying significantly property taxes on vacation properties. That way, either the money lost to part time residents is made up at least in tax revenue, or they move out and full time residents move back in. Again, 365>40. You are hurting our economy.

What am I spiteful about? What "grudge" do I hold? This is not just me acting out, this is how the population of the area generally feels. And you think you know better than we do about our region. You just want to defend how you vacation.

After 30 years, i don't have to defend how i vacation. 

Ever wonder who those douche kids in Rags gear are when the Devils were playing the Panthers in mid november at CAA? Kenny Agostino was one of 'em.

Yeah, he seems to have been one of those kids, if you want to take it on face value. I mean there's no way of knowing if he wore Rangers anything, but it wouldn't be a surprise.

Although he grew up as a Rangers’ fan – Mark Messier was his favorite player and he still has posters of Messier, Brian Leetch and Mike Richter on the walls in his room at his parents’ house – Agostino says he came to a lot of Devils games at The Rock.

“All my buddies growing up were Devils’ fans,” he said. “I came to a lot more Devil games than I did Ranger games growing up, so it’s going to be a cool feeling to play on this ice tonight.”

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/former_delbarton_star_kenny_agostino_looking_forward_to_facing_devils_in_rock_return_with_flames/#sthash.WyWT7AuK.dpuf

If you ever wonder why people down here are rude to you, just know it's because of your utter lack of respect, and for your sense of entitlement.

No one is rude to me, i just let them live with their spite. LBI gets my hard earned money each Summer and i supported the community post-Sandy. I just know that with all the great people there you also have to deal with provincials like yourself.

But, keep on putting words in my mouth and stereotyping, you smart mouthed kid. I've been coming there since before you were born and i'll be coming there again and again. I love the area and the people because, unlike you, i understand that the shore is for all of us to enjoy.

Edited by TheRedStorm

No one is rude to me, i just let them live with their spite. LBI gets my hard earned money each Summer and i supported the community post-Sandy. I just know that with all the great people there you also have to deal with provincials like yourself.

But, keep on putting words in my mouth and stereotyping, you smart mouthed kid. I've been coming there since before you were born and i'll be coming there again and again. I love the area and the people because, unlike you, i understand that the shore is for all of us to enjoy.

You've ignored what I said. I don't have a problem with people vacationing. That would just be irrational. I said a few hotels would be great at any Shore location. The transformation of entire towns into exclusively vacation towns, it's bad for our economy, culture, and ecosystems. You're either arguing that point because you like to argue, or because your reading comprehension skills haven't developed to an adequate level.

Edited by thecoffeecake

You've ignored what I said. I don't have a problem with people vacationing. That would just be irrational. I said a few hotels would be great at any Shore location. The transformation of entire towns into exclusively vacation towns, it's bad for our economy, culture, and ecosystems. You're either arguing that point because you like to argue, or because your reading comprehension skills haven't developed to an adequate level.

I haven't ignored anything, you've just pretty much dismissed anything i said except when you were trying to point fingers, stereotype and put words in my mouth. You tend to do this (along with point fingers) when you're about done or can't counterpoint in a constructive manner.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I haven't ignored anything, you've just pretty much dismissed anything i said except when you were trying to point fingers, stereotype and put words in my mouth. You tend to do this (along with point fingers) when you're about done or can't counterpoint in a constructive manner.

Don't get me wrong, a few hotels would be great, I'm not saying people shouldn't vacation, but the scale on which our Towns have been bought out by part time residents is a travesty.

So, there's the point you've been ignoring. As for not being able to counterpoint in a constructive manner, sounds a whole lot like what you just did. I wouldn't expect you to understand on a humanistic level, because you're not from here, but the basic economics I'm talking about should not be going so far over your head.

So, there's the point you've been ignoring. As for not being able to counterpoint in a constructive manner, sounds a whole lot like what you just did. I wouldn't expect you to understand on a humanistic level, because you're not from here, but the basic economics I'm talking about should not be going so far over your head.

LOL, Jesus....you're impossible. I'm not even going to take the time to explain it to you. You're like a wise ass version of MB. 

One more time, as a pleasant reminder: The goods and services consumed by a permanent resident over the course of a year has a much larger impact than tourists going to a restaurant forty times a year.

And the point you seem to miss is that when those residents for 4 months spend more money then the full time residents that theory is wrong. This is something you obviously do not believe happens. You're assuming the people there have the income and means to spend money all year. I already told you i had neighbors that would spend 20K even 10K. Without tourist money the Shore is in trouble. This is fact. It's fact every year when the vendors and owners get on News 12 and start preaching "We need tourism, we need nice weather for tourism....we need tourist money or we'll die".

I have no idea why this is something you can't comprehend other then being stubborn or an inability to admit that "Bennies" pump capital into the Shore that permanent residents can't over a years time.

Again....get this through your head. Without tourist money, the shore dies. 

As i said, you completely ignored this and came back with finger pointing and insults. 

Edited by TheRedStorm