OOT Thread

Daniel

Watching Yotes Sharks and they are talking to Gomez. He was talking about a game where he and I didn't hear who else were healthy scratches for a deal to San Jose for Selanne

Gomez + Oleg Tverdovsky. Here's actually an old article from the Post about it: http://www.njdevs.co...?showtopic=3331

Then Burns tightened the screws, sitting out Gomez and Tverdovsky after the deadline passed, making them look like the principals of a trade that fell through, probably when Teemu Selanne refused to come to New Jersey.

Indications were that Lamoriello tried seriously yesterday to acquire first Selanne, then Vincent Damphousse, Mike Ricci, Scott Thornton and Marco Sturm from San Jose, Jarome Iginla and Chris Drury from Calgary, Miroslav Satan from Buffalo and Martin Straka from Pittsburgh.

He came up empty on every front. The deal that made the most sense for the Devils, bringing in Selanne, apparently fell apart because the Finnish winger refused to waive his no-trade clause to come to New Jersey. One source said Selanne exercised that veto on several teams.

Gomez and Tverdovksy may have been ingredients in a deal for Selanne and/or Damphousse, who was also said to refuse a trade. Gomez was demoted to the fourth line after a glaring giveaway in Saturday's victory at Nassau.

I remember being disappointed that year when the Devils biggest acquistion was Marshall....worked out pretty damn well though!

Edited by thefiestygoat

Gomez + Oleg Tverdovsky. Here's actually an old article from the Post about it: http://www.njdevs.co...?showtopic=3331

I remember being disappointed that year when the Devils biggest acquistion was Marshall....worked out pretty damn well though!

Wow, what a blast from the past! Crazy to think of all the big moves Lou tried to make right before they ended up winning the Cup.

Wow, what a blast from the past! Crazy to think of all the big moves Lou tried to make right before they ended up winning the Cup.

. Reading that thread was fun- blast from the past is right! I was actually at that Devils-Atlanta game and remember the buzz about Gomez being a healthy scratch. There was a big feeling of disappointment in the building that night after we found out no deal got done for a scorer. Then they lost to the Thrashers, compounding the disappointment. I remember thinking 'this team just won't be able to score enough in the playoffs' and being very annoyed that our biggest acquisition was Grant Marshall. Boy, how happy was I to be wrong lol. Edited by MadDog2020

. Reading that thread was fun- blast from the past is right! I was actually at that Devils-Atlanta game and remember the buzz about Gomez being a healthy scratch. There was a big feeling of disappointment in the building that night after we found out no deal got done for a scorer. Then they lost to the Thrashers, compounding the disappointment. I remember thinking 'this team just won't be able to score enough in the playoffs' and being very annoyed that our biggest acquisition was Grant Marshall. Boy, how happy was I to be wrong lol.

If you want real lolz go to the Hall of Fame folder and read the Trade Deadline thread and the NJ/Atlanta game thread from that night. Classic woe-is-meism at its finest.

If you want real lolz go to the Hall of Fame folder and read the Trade Deadline thread and the NJ/Atlanta game thread from that night. Classic woe-is-meism at its finest.

Yeah I'll have to go take a look at that, I'm sure it's gold looking back on it. Had I been a member of the board back then, I probably would've been contributing to the woe-is-meism, I was really pissed that night lol.

Yeah I'll have to go take a look at that, I'm sure it's gold looking back on it. Had I been a member of the board back then, I probably would've been contributing to the woe-is-meism, I was really pissed that night lol.

I had an odd amount of faith in that team, maybe it was all the tough wins they were getting, or the fact they didn't lose more than two games in a row for a long time. Not that I thought they would win it all but I didn't think they'd go in the playoffs to die a quick death.

I looked in the HOF folder, the trade deadline thread isn't there (I could have sworn it was there, but I suppose it still exists somewhere 'here'), but the Atl-NJ game thread is, on the second page. There's more than enough stuff there anyway.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3311

Edited by NJDevs4978

I had an odd amount of faith in that team, maybe it was all the tough wins they were getting, or the fact they didn't lose more than two games in a row for a long time. Not that I thought they would win it all but I didn't think they'd go in the playoffs to die a quick death.

I looked in the HOF folder, the trade deadline thread isn't there (I could have sworn it was there, but I suppose it still exists somewhere 'here'), but the Atl-NJ game thread is, on the second page. There's more than enough stuff there anyway.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3311

. As good as they were in the regular season that year, I worried that the 03 team didn't have enough firepower up front to match up with Ottawa- and I REALLY wanted a Cup that year because we all knew the window with Stevens, Dano, and Nieds was getting smaller and smaller, and I thought that team would probably be our best shot at getting one more. I thought a Selanne or a Palffy would get us in position to run with the Sens better- and that was my main concern because everyone KNEW that year the East went through Ottawa. They were a VERY talented team in 03, ran away with the Presidents Trophy. Not to mention the Devils' power play was dead last in the league that year. That scared me headed into the playoffs too. So when we didn't land anyone at the deadline, I thought Lou dropped the ball. I've never been happier to have been wrong about anything in my life lol.

Haha here's a classic post from that Devils-Atlanta game thread: "Just watch, the Devils win the cup. While were all at the arena getting totally wasted celebrating, Lou puts up his old wrinkly middle finger so high to see. ESPN, Laffs, Flyers, Rags, and all other doubters see the big F-YOU from our buddy Lou. I still trust him, he must know something that we don't, or is that he didn't want to disturb the chemestry?"

Turned out to be incredibly prophetic lol.