Kovy and Lokti - 2013 IIHF World Championship

Aznjsn

The NHL does not need more goals.  The number of goals scored is not what makes hockey exciting, it's scoring chances and rushes that make you sit on the edge of your seat.  Basketball has a ton of scoring and it's not exciting at all.  Lacrosse has a lot more scoring than hockey and it's not all that exciting either because of how much time is spent passing the ball around the outside so far away from the net that it is nearly impossible to beat the goalie from such a distance.

There's no need to make any drastic changes to make the game more exciting, if it wasn't already exciting we wouldn't be watching it.

This is for Fiesty I guess, since he has his finger on the pulse of the prospects/minor league guys: how is this kid Hrabarenka? I didn't realize he was only 20, I thought he was much older and was one of those career-AHL type dudes. Does he have any kind of future with the big club? Or is he a guy we could use as part of a package for a forward or something? I haven't really heard much about him at all. With how deep the organization is on D, this kid kind of got lost in the shuffle for me.

To be honest I didn't follow the Albany prospects as much as I would have liked to this year. If the AHL ever gets a quality online broadcast going, like the NBA D-League or Minor League Baseball, I'd invest in it. He has good size 6'3, 212 and is a right handed shot and will turn 21 in late August so he still has a lot of time to develop. Only played in 34 games in Albany this year but I know he had some sort of injury and of course the lockout didn't help the roster crunch. Judging by his numbers he doesn't seem to have much of an offensive game. I hate to cite +/- but he did manage to be a +1 on a bad team so perhaps he is decent defensively. Hopefully someone else here has seen him and can give better insight into him.

Not sure if he will ever make it up to the big club given the amount of depth they have in the organization. I'd say he's behind Urbom, Merrill, and Gelinas on the chart and in the pack with Burlon and Scarlett heading into next year. I suppose he could develop into a somewhat useful trade piece down the road but he probably has little value at the moment.

This is for Fiesty I guess, since he has his finger on the pulse of the prospects/minor league guys: how is this kid Hrabarenka? I didn't realize he was only 20, I thought he was much older and was one of those career-AHL type dudes. Does he have any kind of future with the big club? Or is he a guy we could use as part of a package for a forward or something? I haven't really heard much about him at all. With how deep the organization is on D, this kid kind of got lost in the shuffle for me.

To be honest I didn't follow the Albany prospects as much as I would have liked to this year. If the AHL ever gets a quality online broadcast going, like the NBA D-League or Minor League Baseball, I'd invest in it. He has good size 6'3, 212 and is a right handed shot and will turn 21 in late August so he still has a lot of time to develop. Only played in 34 games in Albany this year but I know he had some sort of injury and of course the lockout didn't help the roster crunch. Judging by his numbers he doesn't seem to have much of an offensive game. I hate to cite +/- but he did manage to be a +1 on a bad team so perhaps he is decent defensively. Hopefully someone else here has seen him and can give better insight into him.

Not sure if he will ever make it up to the big club given the amount of depth they have in the organization. I'd say he's behind Urbom, Merrill, and Gelinas on the chart and in the pack with Burlon and Scarlett heading into next year. I suppose he could develop into a somewhat useful trade piece down the road but he probably has little value at the moment.

Cool, thanks for the info brother. Good stuff.

Hraberenka played a lot during the lockout - the Devils only had one extra defenseman down there during that, and Eric Gelinas started off the season with a broken jaw.  So they were basically break-even on D men until Gelinas returned, which is when Hraberenka's ice time was really cut.  I'm not sure when he was hurt, but Hraberenka played 13 of the first 14 or 15 games.  After Gelinas returned, he only played 21 more games.

I watched a couple games - they were using him on the first unit PP over Larsson, which might explain why they had a terrible PP.  He had problems with speed, but that could've been adjustment to the AHL in general.  Reminded me of Sascha Goc in general style of play.  I don't think he's that big a prospect and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up elsewhere, whether that be Belarus or the KHL or the Swiss League or something - NJ hasn't signed him to an NHL contract, and I'm not sure they have the room to do so.  Then again, he did come over to the QMJHL so maybe he's trying to make it in North America.