What will Zach Parise's Next Contract be?

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

What will be the details of Parise's next contract?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Team?

• Carolina
    • Colorado
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Minnesota
    • New Jersey Devils
    • New York Islanders
    • New York Rangers
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Other
    • Parise will retire in order to walk the earth
  2. 2. Length?

3. 3. Cap Hit?

• Less than $4 Million
    • $4.5 Mill
    • $5.0 Mill
    • $5.5 Mill
    • $6.0 Mill
    • $6.5 Mill
    • $7.0 Mill
    • $7.5 Mill
    • $8.0 Mill
    • $8.5 Mill
    • $9.0 Mill
    • $9.5 Mill
    • More than $10.0 Mill
  4. 4. Total Value of Contract?

• $10 Mill
    • $20 Mill
    • $30 Mill
    • $40 Mill
    • $50 Mill
    • $60 Mill
    • $70 Mill
    • $80 Mill
    • $90 Mill
    • $100 Mill
    • $110 Mill or more
  5. 5. Clauses?

6. 6. Variables at Play?

• Parise will sign before hitting UFA
    • Parise will sign where Suter signs
    • It will be reported that Parise took less money to sign at final destination
    • Parise's actual salary will be at least 1.5x his cap hit at some point in the contract
    • NJDevs will be grateful for the good times Parise gave them instead of bitter and angry
    • It will be apparent Parise's father's input was an important part of his decision making

8 years would be ideal bringing him to 35 i think but im pretty sure Zach would want something a little longer for security.

for a more friendly cap hit i'd assume something like... 10 years 70m

I think its a slim chance we get him for 7 per. Id be shocked basically. The rumor is Minnesota is gonna throw 9 at him. I dont see a 2 million per discount if thats true.

I think its a slim chance we get him for 7 per. Id be shocked basically. The rumor is Minnesota is gonna throw 9 at him. I dont see a 2 million per discount if thats true.

9m is crazy... its great money but do they take in account the HUGE pressure they'll have to live with if they can't produce enough? like i would imagine that a player like Zach would be fair about his value thinking "There's no way that i'm gonna be able to produce effectively to justify a 9m cap hit, not this next season and obviously not in 10 years THEN if i don't produce i'm gonna have the medias,the fans and the pressure on my ass and it's only gonna make it worst"

Well i know that money speaks but i wonder if that's something that agents are talking about with their clients or if they just try to get as much as they can, but i'm pretty sure that there's days where Gomez wish he'd never have signed that huge contract, i really do.

Ovechkin can't even handle a 9.5m cap hit now.

Holy mother of God I feel like I'm taking a standardized test with all these choices.

I think Parise will retire to walk the earth for the next 16 years, making close to $100 million in the process.

Edit: Where's the 'NJdevs will implode, and Manta will resurface to claim that we lost Parise because of Kovalchuk" option under variables? I mean, if you're going to do this you might as well be thorough :whistling:

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm surprised at how many people expect Zach to re-sign, but I suppose the Devils are the front runners today.

I think it will be longer and for more money than the board consensus. The UFA crop is thin, and today (before the CBA fight) only two teams have less than 10 million dollars in cap space. Also there are now three great destinations (DET, PIT, NJ) with the cap space and desire to go after Parise and one organization that will break the bank (MIN). I can't see anyway this contract isn't on par with the Kovalchuk contract in terms of money/years.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I'm surprised at how many people expect Zach to resign, but I suppose the Devils are the front runners today.

I think it will be longer and for more money than the board consensus. The UFA crop is thin, and today (before the CBA fight) only two teams have less than 10 million dollars in cap space. Also there are now three great destinations (DET, PIT, NJ) with the cap space and desire to go after Parise and one organization that will break the bank (MIN). I can't see anyway this contract isn't on par with the Kovalchuk contract in terms of money/years.

I hope you're wrong, but I have a sickening feeling you may be right....

9 years $70 mil. Leaves him at 34 years old and outside of any potential 35+ situation. the $7.77 million cap hit is very justifiable for a player of his caliber. I could see it creeping up to $75-80 mil if teams get into a bidding war.

9 years would take him to age 36. He turns 28 in a month. The only way to avoid a 35+ contract on his next one would be to only sign for 7 years at most. I think it'll be around 8/$52-60M, but he might take a 7/$49-52.5M so that he can sign the next contract before he hits the 35+ snag and teams are more wary of giving up big bucks for him again.

9 years would take him to age 36. He turns 28 in a month. The only way to avoid a 35+ contract on his next one would be to only sign for 7 years at most. I think it'll be around 8/$52-60M, but he might take a 7/$49-52.5M so that he can sign the next contract before he hits the 35+ snag and teams are more wary of giving up big bucks for him again.

Good point. My math was wrong :)

Usually I'm the local english/grammar nazi, but I occasionally moonlight as a math monger as well, lol.

Speaking of english nerdism (of which I am very prone), we should probably make one thing clear on this board before free agent frenzy strikes:

***If a player signs with the team he was playing with at the end of last season, he is RE-SIGNING with that team. He is not RESIGNING. These are two VERY different actions.***

Yearly English Nerd PSA = Complete. :lol: