Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

The cap hit is no factor this year since we have room and very little factor next year considering he'd basically be replacing Salvador's $2.9 million.

He may be finished a la Kaberle, but for the right price it isn't prohibitive to find out. Especially since he adds a dimension we don't really have on the blueline.

And Foster isn't that good. He's playing because we want him on the PP and we have injuries, but Zidlicky can only be an improvement, and he's not taking anyone's roster spot, at least not this year.

The second year scares me, though. We don't have the money to buy him out, and if Urbom's ready or Merrill wants to turn pro, I hate to bury them in the AHL because we have to keep an aging, mediocre, expensive player in the lineup. Minnesota's willing to dump him for next to nothing at least partially because he's not worth the money and they have kids who need playing time. How does that make them different from us?

And Foster isn't that good. He's playing because we want him on the PP and we have injuries, but Zidlicky can only be an improvement, and he's not taking anyone's roster spot, at least not this year.

The second year scares me, though. We don't have the money to buy him out, and if Urbom's ready or Merrill wants to turn pro, I hate to bury them in the AHL because we have to keep an aging, mediocre, expensive player in the lineup. Minnesota's willing to dump him for next to nothing at least partially because he's not worth the money and they have kids who need playing time. How does that make them different from us?

Blocking a spot next year is my biggest reservation about the deal, but it's not the end of the world. You can buy out Zidlicky (which I'd assume we could do) or trade Greene if you have to. I would say Tallinder but I doubt he's got any value coming off of this season and I don't remember if he has a NTC or not, I know Greene doesn't..

Edited by NJDevs4978

Meh, not sure why everyone is getting so excited. He has a huge cap hit, he's 35, and he hasn't been very good since his injury. He says it's the coach, but it could just be the fact that he's aging and the injury slowed him down. I don't think he's that big of an improvement over what we've got, and for the additional cap hit plus giving up something in return, it's really not that worth it IMO.

Who cares about the cap hit, they have probably $20M prorated hit left. If they can get someone like that cheap, why not? The back-end of their D right now is not exactly murder's row. Wouldn't give up anything substantial, but if they're willing to give him away I wouldn't pass. Doesn't work out, buy him out and take dead cap hit for the next two seasons.

Who cares about the cap hit, they have probably $20M prorated hit left. If they can get someone like that cheap, why not? The back-end of their D right now is not exactly murder's row. Wouldn't give up anything substantial, but if they're willing to give him away I wouldn't pass. Doesn't work out, buy him out and take dead cap hit for the next two seasons.

This would be true if the Devils weren't facing the possibility of bankruptcy.

Who care's about cap hit? He makes almost as much as Rolston, and that was just a lovely thing to have on our books. Zidlicky is most likely in decline, he was injured, and he's not having a good year. More likely than not, he will not be good for us, and I'd much rather not waste $4M in cap space for such an experiment when he has another season on his contract. Also, aside from the Devils financial problems, buying out is a terrible option and we already have enough of those.

Who care's about cap hit? He makes almost as much as Rolston, and that was just a lovely thing to have on our books. Zidlicky is most likely in decline, he was injured, and he's not having a good year. More likely than not, he will not be good for us, and I'd much rather not waste $4M in cap space for such an experiment when he has another season on his contract. Also, aside from the Devils financial problems, buying out is a terrible option and we already have enough of those.

You're overthinking it. They may find themselves in a position, because of Kovy's deal, where they have to carry dead cap space anyway. It's not a big risk for roughly $1M this season + a pick and something middling. If it doesn't work, you buy him out for $2.6M, and at that point the other 29 owners might be paying that $2.6M.

If it costs anything more than that, you don't do it.

This would be true if the Devils weren't facing the possibility of bankruptcy.

Clearly not operating that way this year. Next year, if they are, this has buyout ploy written all over it, and it's not like Lou is personally going to have to pay that money.

A buyout doesn't help the Devils' finances at all, so I don't know what you're suggesting. Zidlicky wasn't a 35+ contract. Putting dead money on the cap is exactly that - even if the Devils have to get to the salary floor next year, which I seriously doubt, they are much better served doing it with a player than with nothing.

A buyout doesn't help the Devils' finances at all, so I don't know what you're suggesting. Zidlicky wasn't a 35+ contract. Putting dead money on the cap is exactly that - even if the Devils have to get to the salary floor next year, which I seriously doubt, they are much better served doing it with a player than with nothing.

I'm suggesting there's a significant chance they will be in stewardship next year and it doesn't matter. And they have so many young/cheap players that it becomes difficult to overcome the gap in Kovy's deal without dead space. If they went dollar for dollar, a $52M cap hit would cost them $56.3M cash.

They need to counterbalance that if they are not going to be a big spender.

I'm suggesting there's a significant chance they will be in stewardship next year and it doesn't matter.

This is a hilariously bad faith move.

And they have so many young/cheap players that it becomes difficult to overcome the gap in Kovy's deal without dead space. If they went dollar for dollar, a $52M cap hit would cost them $56.3M cash.

What are you talking about? The Devils are at 38 million for next season right now. They have Fayne's contract (~2M) in significant RFAs. But they have 0 goalies signed next year and even if Parise leaves, they are likely to sign a top-six forward. Call it $3M for goalies and $4M for a top six forward. Now we're at $47M. And there's still 6 more players to fill out the rest of the roster. And the Devils can stay under the floor until the league locks out and when the cap comes down they might be compliant. Acquiring dead space is the act of the desperate, not a move to make in February. The only way this makes sense is if Lou is punting next year, which I don't think he is.

Edited by Triumph

Zidlicky is a really good player in my opinion. Good skater, good shot, can move the puck well, has great hands, and has a scoring touch which this team desperately needs on defense. Hes automatically 2nd on our defense with 13 pts with only playing 39gms. I think our defense needs this with Tallinder Salvador Fayne and Volchenkov not doing much pt wise. We need a more offensive defense in case our forwards cannot get it done. Hes a huge upgrade over foster even though he still has a year left on this deal. I say do it without giving up much.

Edited by Zubie#8