Report: Sutter Stepping Down

thefiestygoat

I'm glad he is gone. Let's get a coach that wants to be here. And while we are at it, let's stop bringing in people from Western Canada as they all just want to go home.....

Bingo! Can't say I'm gonna miss Big`Brent all that much either. We would've been heading into his 3rd year as our Head Coach, and all he proved throughout his tenure here, was that he couldn't get out of the 1st Round.. and how homesick he was to boot! What a shame... we won't be having to hear about how splendid Red Deer is this season. (rolls-eyes) And for all the fans preaching how he coached the Devils to a franchise best, 51 victories this season... but that's a consolation asterisk imo. Had the shootout been around in '98, Jacques would be the coach with that honor. We had a dozen ties that season folks! I think we could've pinched out 3 wins. :giggle:

Take care Sutter! Enjoy coaching for your brother! (wow, neja'vu) ---- "Take care Sutter! Nied's, enjoy coaching for playing with your brother!" :blink:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can't honestly expect Brent to stay put next year. I fully expect him to gather a lot of interest from teams looking for coaching changes, especially the ones in the West. And we can bet on him coaching the Flames next year.

I kinda expect him to spend at least one year back with his old duties with the Rebels.

I said it elsewhere, but if Sutter doesn't want to coach New Jersey then he doesn't want to coach in the NHL. Being away from Red Deer weighed on him heavily, and only Calgary or Edmonton would allow him to be anywhere near home. Edmonton already hired a coach with a built-in backup plan, so they're out. And Calgary ... writers love the rumor but who really would wanna work under his brother? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Its a good thing he stepped down. We need someone who wants to be our coach with no hesitation or regrets.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Can someone explain to me why he stepped down? IMO he was a great coach and he really did do a pretty good job with the team. I mean come on who wants to leave a team while the last thing they did was embarrassing and shocking (blow a game in the final 1:30) I thought he would've wanted to redeem himself. Instead he leaves as a choker. Thanks for all the good things though Brent.

A coach for this team has to be big enough to stand up against the egos and motivate some multiple-cup-winning vets.

The options available don't look too good given these factors. A rookie AHL coach isn't going to be able to do it.

(and the Bylsma argument is not a comparison as most of those guys are young and hungry)

1.) Too much control from Lou

2.) Too much control from MB

Just a theory.....any thoughts?

I dunno, Babcock was a rookie when he came to Anaheim and look what he did. I know that was a much different dynamic, and I know Babcock's exceptional, but I'd rather look around the minors for someone who is actually exceptional than take a retread from the NHL. Nolan may be the best choice, but he lost the job in New York for fighting with his boss. Think he can deal with Lou? I'd rather risk crashing and burning than deal with another Julien type hire, and the names we're discussing aren't much better than Julien, who actually did some things right, and did a great job in Boston.

Whoever comes in does need to stand up to Lou and MB30. He almost has to not give a sh!t if he gets fired. Lou is smart enough to stay out of the way if it works, and hopefully MB30 sucks it up. He did his best work for tough coaches (Lemaire and Burns).

In a perfect world, Burns would still be coaching. Obviously, that's not happening. Times like this you appreciate how special he was behind the bench. Best of luck to him as he continues battling.

I won't really miss Sutter. He did some things right (getting the forecheck going), but his teams choked in the playoffs both years. I know this year was a war against a good team, but blowing the 3-2 lead with home ice is bad, and dogging games is worse. Also, he could be a pr!ck to the wrong guys. Langs is a much better captain, but he handled the Elias thing horribly. Making it worse, he couldnt fight MB30 when he needed to. Whether that's Lou's fault or not is a different story, but Burns would never have let MB30 tell the whole d to change what had been working for them all season. Not to say that Sutter was terrible, but he was far from spectacular. We can replace him.