Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Thanks for trying to clear that up. It sounds pretty impressive. The only thing I'm unsure about is this whole "Yawkey Way of Newark" thing. That works for the Red Sox because their season is in the summer and people will be more willing to hang out in the street. Winters in Jersey can be cold and nasty ... not eactly street vendor weather. Unless this whole thing is indoors?

Well, it would be refreshing to have warm gingerbread and a hot apple cider on a snowy night before a hockey game.

Yeah, that's right. I think what they should do is have them on wheels and have them move together when there isn't an event or at night when you can't see anything, and during playoff games too when we get Triangle Park.

mulberrymarqueeproposal.jpg

Thats a great idea. Probably won't happen due to cost.

So is this definitely happening?

The entry plaza and Triangle Park, as far as we know, yes. The Broad Street Entrance, haven't heard any updates.

Thats a great idea. Probably won't happen due to cost.

Nice house Sammy!

A friend of mine was down in Newark and he said that there was a lot of land being cleared around the arena. I hope that means that Triangle Park has been started because I can't wait to see progress on that. I might just have to go down there one of these days and check this out for my self. B )

Borok's (department?) store is going to close down on Broad Street. They said that it will be turned into a parking lot or retail. It was bought by the Newark Housing Authority who is in charge of revitalization around the arena.

A Key Parcel

Yeah, it's really a shame. That place has been there since 1936, and now with the blink of an eye it's another parking lot.

Yeah, I hope that they build a new building there because an empty space or a garage along Broad wouldnt look right. I remember an article a while back saying how the Newark residents were upset that the arena faced Manhattan and not Broad Street because they thought that they were getting jipped that the new arena wouldn't face Downtown Newark and that all they got was a garage and a flat brick wall along there.

Edited by The Rock 07

gotta feel bad for the locals in a way. same reason i am not in favor of gentrification that department store is probably a community staple and is now being knocked down for a parking lot.

I also kinda feel bad that these restaurants are inside the arena, and not one new establishment has opened on the streets of Newark. With all the eatery options inside, will there be enough business left over to go around to stores on the streets?

I also kinda feel bad that these restaurants are inside the arena, and not one new establishment has opened on the streets of Newark. With all the eatery options inside, will there be enough business left over to go around to stores on the streets?

There's 4 or 5 in the blocks surrounding the arena, don't know what you're talking about.

As for Broad Street, it needs to be bombed. If this is a start, it's a good start. Revitalizing it makes sense. Leaving it looking like Havana doesn't.

There's 4 or 5 in the blocks surrounding the arena, don't know what you're talking about.

As for Broad Street, it needs to be bombed. If this is a start, it's a good start. Revitalizing it makes sense. Leaving it looking like Havana doesn't.

None have opened.

None have opened.

I must have just imagined people being in them, then. Arena, Hells Kitchen, the one next to Catholic Charities lot, have definately opened because of the Rock. The one across the street is opening before next season, and there's probably more if I wandered around enough.

I must have just imagined people being in them, then. Arena, Hells Kitchen, the one next to Catholic Charities lot, have definately opened because of the Rock. The one across the street is opening before next season, and there's probably more if I wandered around enough.

Suppoudly, the Arena Bar is opening an Arena Cafe in the area. Brick City Bar and Grill on Edison Place is opening in August as well. To add to the list, Scully's Publik House and Bojangles have opened due to the arena. Stores wise, a New York and Company opened on Broad a few months ago.

Edited by The Rock 07

Under the Lincoln-Mercury VIP Garage, (along Lafayette) there is a space for retail so I wonder what will go in there.

Also, there is a townhouse/condo complex on Broad that is going to be built soon.

Wired NY 'Newark Thread'

Go down to post 341. There are also plans in there for a condo tower next to NJPAC (35 stories?) and then a 'transit village' around Broad Street Station with condo towers and such. Looks nice, I just hope that development can come down to the area around The Rock.

If they cleared the banners and junk off of the Broad Street Buildings and powerwashed them, it would look really nice because those used to be good looking buildings. At the end of the season, Broad Street appeared to be marked off for repavement. I would put new sidewalks and curbs (which I think is happening), pave the street and clean off the buildings. Then people wouldn't get a bad impression and non-junky businesses would return to Broad Street.