Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

No, of course you don't think about a garbage can overflowing, that is just the consequence of everyone taking their garbage with them.

It is NOT pure laziness. It is no different than leaving your dishes on the table at a restaurant. There are some situations where you throw out your own trash and some you don't. This particular case it's optional and there is someone paid to pick them up if you choose not to. It is part of their job and does not take away from their other duties because if it did there would either be more people doing it or there would be garbage cans near the seats instead of just the concourse so that individuals can throw things out. In the end this guy will clock out with all his duties of the day completed.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, of course you don't think about a garbage can overflowing, that is just the consequence of everyone taking their garbage with them.

It is NOT pure laziness. It is no different than leaving your dishes on the table at a restaurant. There are some situations where you throw out your own trash and some you don't. This particular case it's optional and there is someone paid to pick them up if you choose not to. It is part of their job and does not take away from their other duties because if it did there would either be more people doing it or there would be garbage cans near the seats instead of just the concourse so that individuals can throw things out. In the end this guy will clock out with all his duties of the day completed.

Restraunts don't offer you the choice of emptying your own garbage, there usually isnt anywhere to empty the food. There are garbage cans EVERYWHERE in arenas. I just don't see this comparison at all.

In food establishments that provide garbage cans (e.g. McDonalds) almost everyone makes the huge sacrifice of throwing out your fry carton.

Nobody is arguing whether or not it is part of the job, we're just saying it's a nice thing to do for you take it out with you. If more people did this maybe he would get to leave and go back to his family a little earlier. That is why it is a nice thing to do, not because we think it's not his job, everyone knows that's their job.

Keyword: Choice

Anyway, the point was, with the restaurant analogy, that there is someone hired to do it just as there is in an arena.

Yea you have a choice at the arena (take your trash with you or be lazy and leave it there), you don't have a choice in a restaurant. If they had places on the way out where you can drop off your dishes, then that comparison would make sense. Part of working at a fast food place is to clean the tables but that doesn't mean they expect you to leave your trash on it when you are walking by a garbage can as you leave.

I hate when say it's intermission, and you leave your beer cup under your seat because maybe some of us keep them because of the cool (MTS CENTRE/Manitoba Moose logo) and because they make great beer cup for when you're having a few..anyway, you come back and they are gone! bah!

I hate that I always have to pee 4 minutes before the period is done..but never go...even though i should to avoid the line

Sorry.....where can I return the cups to for you..... :whistling:

Edited by brodeurrocks

Sorry.....where can I return the cups to for you..... :whistling:

Haha..you ba$tard! Thanks to you I only accumulated about 40....You can drop them off tonight..146.5 Higgins..:P Look for me, I'll be the one that looks like a tranny hooker!

Nobody is arguing whether or not it is part of the job, we're just saying it's a nice thing to do for you take it out with you. If more people did this maybe he would get to leave and go back to his family a little earlier. That is why it is a nice thing to do, not because we think it's not his job, everyone knows that's their job.

Yea you have a choice at the arena (take your trash with you or be lazy and leave it there), you don't have a choice in a restaurant. If they had places on the way out where you can drop off your dishes, then that comparison would make sense. Part of working at a fast food place is to clean the tables but that doesn't mean they expect you to leave your trash on it when you are walking by a garbage can as you leave.

You can't be serious. You really think they're just gonna let the guy go home early because he's done with his regular duties for the day? They'll find him something to mop until his shift is over. I don't know what kind of jobs you've had but that's not a regular practice. What if this guy gets done early every day because people throw out their own trash? Now management will be thinking, hmm, maybe we don't need as many of these guys, instead of one person for every four sections (someone mentioned that ratio earlier) they could get by with one person for every five or six sections. No suddenly this guy has a ton of family time that he didn't really want.

If you leave your trash on the table at a McDonald's they're not going to say anything but they also don't have someone to regularly clear off the tables so they provide plenty of trash cans near the tables for customers to do so. Yes, I've worked in a fast food establishment.

You keep bringing up laziness, it's not laziness. It's not that I don't feel like picking up the trash, I just know I don't have to because it's someone's job to do so.

I don't know, I just don't see a reason to make someone do more work than he has to. If everyone was throwing garbage out and the guy's job was in jeopardy, then maybe that would be different, but I doubt that is the case.

The difference here is just between the two schools of thought--the one that thinks that the garbage cleaning is the work he has to, and those who, like yourself, think that it is more than he has to do. And this argument is clearly not going to be solved.

So...popcorn.gif

I don't know, I just don't see a reason to make someone do more work than he has to. If everyone was throwing garbage out and the guy's job was in jeopardy, then maybe that would be different, but I doubt that is the case.

Say what? You said:

Nobody is arguing whether or not it is part of the job

So you already agree that it IS part of his job. So how can you say he's doing more work than he has to?

If all 18 guys (based on 1 per 4 sections) were getting done early then obviously management is going to think there is not enough work for them and either find more work for them or adjust the workforce. So either this guy is going to have to do more work or he's gonna get laid off. Which do you think will happen? I'd say the latter.

This kinda reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George gives the security guard a chair to be a nice guy and the guard falls asleep as the store gets robbed.

If all 18 guys (based on 1 per 4 sections) were getting done early then obviously management is going to think there is not enough work for them and either find more work for them or adjust the workforce. So either this guy is going to have to do more work or he's gonna get laid off. Which do you think will happen? I'd say the latter.

And there Sammy goes again, acting like his unwillingness to clean up after himself is actually saving some poor schmuck's job. Un-friggin'-believable. Again, it's a crying shame that some people are so defensive about living like pigs that they make up these convoluted excuses as to why their laziness and tolerance of filth is somehow a good thing.

Whatever Rowdy, you're way off base. It's not a matter of laziness, I clean up after myself quite well thank you.

I just don't see why I should do SOMEONE ELSES JOB. What is so hard to understand about that?

---

You know, I'm gonna bring that restaurant analogy back but a little different. When you enter a restaurant, do you pick up the menus and silverware as you go in or do you let the hostess/waitress do it? When you are done ordering, do you put the menus back near the entrance instead of letting the waitress do it? If the soda fountain is outside the kitchen, do you get your own drinks? When you leave, do you wipe off the table or do you let the busboy do it? How about the bill? These are all things you can do which are not in restricted areas, but do you do them? If not, why not?

It's settled..next game im going to im gonna leave garbage..just because

Sammy, I think the restaurant scenario is a bad analogy.

Yes we all leave our plates and cups and cutlery on the table, but there are two ways to do it.

My wife and I stack our plates and put the cutlery on the top plate in a tidy pile. If there are more of us and there are leftovers, we scrape the leftovers off all the plates onto one, then put the other plates in a stack with the cutlery on top, and we put the cups all together near the plates.

I've seen people leave with food and crap on the floor and the table, knives and forks on the table and on the floor with cups and napkins on the floor and the table.

I think that is slobby and trashy.

Out of the above examples, who do you think the busboy will like better ? of course it's the first one.

All I do is a little consideration for others, I'm still leaving my plates on the table, but they are neat and tidy.

As far as taking your trash with you to the garbage can in an arena, that's a good thing, because it's not like the cleaners will have nothing to do, because they'll still have to empty the trash cans :doh1:

and I'm pretty sure the cleaners would sooner have all the trash piled up around the trash cans as opposed to strewn all over the arena.

I do agree with you that leaving your tray and cups neatly under your seat after the game is nice, as opposed to some slobs who leave spilled cups and popcorn etc all over the floor where it'll get walked in the carpet.

Haha..you ba$tard! Thanks to you I only accumulated about 40....You can drop them off tonight..146.5 Higgins..:P Look for me, I'll be the one that looks like a tranny hooker!

Hmmm...I think maybe we have met before..... :lol:

Sammy, I think the restaurant scenario is a bad analogy.

Yes we all leave our plates and cups and cutlery on the table, but there are two ways to do it.

My wife and I stack our plates and put the cutlery on the top plate in a tidy pile. If there are more of us and there are leftovers, we scrape the leftovers off all the plates onto one, then put the other plates in a stack with the cutlery on top, and we put the cups all together near the plates.

I've seen people leave with food and crap on the floor and the table, knives and forks on the table and on the floor with cups and napkins on the floor and the table.

I think that is slobby and trashy.

Out of the above examples, who do you think the busboy will like better ? of course it's the first one.

All I do is a little consideration for others, I'm still leaving my plates on the table, but they are neat and tidy.

As far as taking your trash with you to the garbage can in an arena, that's a good thing, because it's not like the cleaners will have nothing to do, because they'll still have to empty the trash cans :doh1:

and I'm pretty sure the cleaners would sooner have all the trash piled up around the trash cans as opposed to strewn all over the arena.

I do agree with you that leaving your tray and cups neatly under your seat after the game is nice, as opposed to some slobs who leave spilled cups and popcorn etc all over the floor where it'll get walked in the carpet.

NZT, I did change my analogy about taking the plates in since they may be in restricted area. To be honest, I do do what you described, consolidate the plates or hand them to the waitress when I'm done so she doesn't have to pick them up. I am, however, a generous tipper, so not like I leave a mess and a small tip. I make it worth their while.

The thing is, the guy picking up the garbage in the arena is going to make his way row by row anyway looking for anything, even lost and found items as one said. The guy will be armed with a trash bag so it's not like he has to go out of his way to pick up that trash. Is tossing it out yourself a good gesture? Sure, but that guy will still has to travel that path, it doesn't give him a longer coffee break or lets him go home early.

Leaving your tray behind has NOTHING to do with laziness or "tolerance of filth" as some call it. In the end, the man is just doing his job. You want to do his job for him? Go right ahead, never said anything is wrong with that, but if I want to let him do his job then don't call me lazy, it has nothing to do with it.

Hmmm...I think maybe we have met before..... :lol:

Yeah weren't you the one in the jetta?!!!! :koolaid:

I'm glad there are at least a few other people here who agree that it'd be nice if Devils fans were more vocal. Perhaps there should be a few sections marked "quiet study area" for patrons who dislike noise.

I actually hate being scolded that I should be wearing red at home games....

1. all my cooler jerseys are WHITE ones

2. I picked all the players I like more on white ones because WHITE SHOULD BE WORN BY THE HOME TEAM

3. I am protesting the "make it easier to wear third jersey dogma the league shoves down our throat

4. I saw them win a Stanley Cup in 2003 wearing that damn Madden white jersey (I might have worn it at home in 2000 also... but I drank so much that night damned if I remember :P) if it was good enough then it is CERTAINLY good enough NOW!!!

Yes I hate being told how I should support a team I pour BUCKETS of money into!! :rant:

So in other words ya want to Wear your White instead of Rock your Red, and wish the Devils would do the same? I do agree that the home team should be in white.

I'm glad there are at least a few other people here who agree that it'd be nice if Devils fans were more vocal. Perhaps there should be a few sections marked "quiet study area" for patrons who dislike noise.

I think some of the disagreement on the subject could be alleviated by the Flyers-esque "Family Sections" proposed in DevilinLA's letter to team management. Parents who don't want their kids hearing certain "sucks" and "swallows" chants can seperate the ears of their children from the voices of the drunkards. It can also provide a quiet haven for those who wish to sit on their hands and not offend the chilluns around them.

This way the loud fans won't have so many of the chant-killing quiet people around them, and maybe some consistent noise can be made at the arena. Meanwhile the quiet fans are in an environment where they aren't sitting next to someone rattling their eardrums. Everybody wins.

NZT, I did change my analogy about taking the plates in since they may be in restricted area. To be honest, I do do what you described, consolidate the plates or hand them to the waitress when I'm done so she doesn't have to pick them up. I am, however, a generous tipper, so not like I leave a mess and a small tip. I make it worth their while.

The thing is, the guy picking up the garbage in the arena is going to make his way row by row anyway looking for anything, even lost and found items as one said. The guy will be armed with a trash bag so it's not like he has to go out of his way to pick up that trash. Is tossing it out yourself a good gesture? Sure, but that guy will still has to travel that path, it doesn't give him a longer coffee break or lets him go home early.

Leaving your tray behind has NOTHING to do with laziness or "tolerance of filth" as some call it. In the end, the man is just doing his job. You want to do his job for him? Go right ahead, never said anything is wrong with that, but if I want to let him do his job then don't call me lazy, it has nothing to do with it.

All is good :D:koolaid:

there isn't even this much talk about garbage at coward meetings. (so I've heard :whistling: )

Fixed.