Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Kovy how could you? This is unbelievable. You came to NJ as a lazy forward who wouldn't backcheck and you left being the most feared pk'er in the league. Devils fans argued for your sake non stop. Last year Parise leaving was anger inducing, knowing him and Suter were texting about it in the finals (preoccupied much?), but this? This is just absolutely heartbreaking... I wouldn't wish this upon any team. It's been a pleasure watching Kovy and one day to look back on it but right now this is the only song that fits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

How can you take the song that was used for Dr. McMullen's tribute video and associate it with Kovygate?

Do you make a habit of quizzing locals about sports? How are you able to judge the knowledge level of the city? I can't tell you the starting point guard for the Knicks or Nets, if you ask me the name of their center, the last I remember is Patrick Ewing. Same for my wife and several of my friends. If you used us a barometer than you would think NY is the worst basketball town in the World. We spend our spare time posting on sports message boards, so obviously we are passionate about our teams and follow them very closely. Majority of sports fans in the country are not like us.

Because I've lived here my whole life and talk to different types of sports fans in the area. This is a miserable market for hockey. Therefore it's not that great a sports town.

Boston has FOUR TEAMS. Chicago has FIVE. Boston and Chicago have each been in the Finals twice in the past 5 years and have 3 cups between them.

Whatever the reason may be, my point still stands

Not sure how you can bash NY as a hockey town. You have 1 team that has been selling out forever, even through a stretch of 7 years without play-offs and then you have 2 more teams in the market, Now, think about what it would be like if we had one team, like they do in Chicago. You can't tell me that the Isles and Devils fans wouldn't be Rangers fans. If the Isles and Devils never existed, they wouldn't have fans who would hate the Rangers. I just don't see how you can judge a town based on the media.

You can't be suggesting that ny is a hockey town.not many other cities bury hockey news like its ESPN. Again, you have one of the premier players in the market retire in stunning fashion, not cover it, and call yourself a great sports town. Edited by devlman

I totally agree with Chicago being a great supporter of their hockey team. Everywhere you go there is blackhawk pride. I wish we had something like that here.

I can tell you this much...I became a Devils fan when they came here from Colorado and wear the Devils logo proudly, on the back window of my truck (vinyl white sticker), flag outside on the porch, my home office is all Devils. I will always bleed Red and Black....I will NEVER watch the Rags, Fish Sticks or Falyers!

For me it's the Devils or nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Because I've lived here my whole life and talk to different types of sports fans in the area. This is a miserable market for hockey. Therefore it's not that great a sports town.

Whatever the reason may be, my point still stands

You can't be suggesting that ny is a hockey town.not many other cities bury hockey news like its ESPN. Again, you have one of the premier players in the market retire in stunning fashion, not cover it, and call yourself a great sports town.

Is it a hockey town?  Not by your definition.  A hockey town is Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc.  By your standard, I don't think there is any city in this country that would call themselves a hockey town.  Just because hockey doesn't get the attention of the other 3 doesn't make it a bad market for hockey or a lousy hockey/sports town.  If it was a miserable hockey market, there wouldn't be 3 teams.  Secondly, I do not read newspapers or even follow local news.  I watch NFL/NHL Network, read TSN.  Only thing I get locally is WFAN in the car.  Was stuck home all day yesterday afternoon waiting for a delivery, so wasn't listening.  When I was finally able to go out, it was mentioned on the 20/20 update 3 times while I was driving around.  What do you want them to do?  Yankees had an afternoon game and Jeter was making his return.  That is going to trump anything.  But again, not sure why you use the media to judge the market.  I judge based on the passion of the fans.  Like I said, we don't have the numbers in this town that the other 3 do, but I will put the passion of the hockey fans up against the other 3 any day of the week and twice on sunday.  The media is selling a product.  Their newspapers, news programs, websites.  They are going to try to appeal to the masses, and therefore cover the other 3 harder.  Even Francesa, who has no interest in hockey until the play-offs has said many times that two most passionate fan bases in this town are the Giants and Rangers.  And, has often credited the passion of the hockey fans (of all 3 teams) in this market.  

I totally agree with Chicago being a great supporter of their hockey team. Everywhere you go there is blackhawk pride. I wish we had something like that here.

I was in Chicago in April of 2008, and you wouldn't have even known Chicago had a team.  When I was there in February of 2012, it was a different story.  Of course, they were a season and a half removed from a Cup.

Edited by Matteau#32

I can tell you this much...I became a Devils fan when they came here from Colorado and wear the Devils logo proudly, on the back window of my truck (vinyl white sticker), flag outside on the porch, my home office is all Devils. I will always bleed Red and Black....I will NEVER watch the Rags, Fish Sticks or Falyers!

For me it's the Devils or nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

It's weird, in Northern/Central NJ, I see a bunch of cars w/ Devils stickers on them or flags or people wearing devils stuff, not as much as Yankees stuff, but comparable with football and waaaay more than basketball, yet there's hardly any coverage outside TG/Chere in the entire area. I think it's a better hockey town than the media gives it credit for. It's not like you can't accuse the media of not being aware 

Not sure how you can judge the knowledge level of a fan base unless you have spent a significant amount of time living in that market.   I have been to many arenas, and have met idiots in every one of them.  Also met people who know their stuff.  And yes, most Rangers fans are idiots and I wouldn't let most into my house.  I think the worst of all 3 fan bases tend to come out during Rangers-Devs or Rangers-Isles games at the Rock or Nassau.  This year, went to Rangers-Isles at the Coliseum in April.  Rangers won 1-0 in OT.  As I am leaving, Rangers fans are screaming, celebrating, like you expect.  Saw two fights walking to my car.  The best was an Isles fan walking in front of me.  He was just saying to every Rangers fan who walked by, "Let me know when you win 4 in a row."  My wife and I just looked at each other shook our heads and laughed.  

I disagree about the passion.  Hockey may not have the quantity of fans as baseball, but I definitely think the hockey fan base (across the 3 teams as a whole) is a lot more passionate than the baseball fan base.  Think baseball has A LOT more casual fans than die-hards.  Seems like you are frustrated that hockey doesn't have the numbers of the other 3 or the media attention, and you are letting your frustration jade your view of the market.

My definition of passion is across the market. I don't deny that the real hockey fans are die hards -- you have to be to like hockey in an area in which it is ignored. But you could go to an NY sports bar and be the only hockey fan in the room, which wouldn't happen in a hockey town.

Admittedly, I was just in Toronto, and the difference between the fan on the street there and here was huge. The thing is, I love finding hockey fans here more -- the conversations you have are great, because you appreciate each other as part of the same, smallish group, to some degree regardless of the team you support (aside from the bandwagon Rags fans who like the Rags but don't like hockey. Again, not talking about you). That said, when you're evaluating a place as a town for a certain sport, to a great degree you're evaluating the fan on the street. 

To go back to devlman's argument, that because NY is a bad hockey town, it's a bad sports town, I just don't buy it. If you can find me a town (with the possible exception of Chicago) that supports 4 sports with passion and knowledge, you can sh!t on NY as a sports town. I believe that NY is average at worst for football, and above average for baseball and basketball support. I'm not going to go into the 9 team factor -- we do have a huge population, but if there are cities in which the average sports fan follows all 4 teams closely, I'll be impressed. Based on my experience going to different cities for games, and wearing my jersey on the street, Philly doesn't, neither do Boston, DC, or the Bay Area, and if Matteau is right, Chicago only started to care about the Blackhawks when they started winning cups. 

Edited by mouse

Out of all this, I'm glad he's going to a completely different league and there wasn't some convoluted way he got out of playing for us and got a load of money to play against us. At least there's no fear of that...

all else aside, this sucks royally...

• Like 1

Matthau, Mouse,

Is it a hockey town? Not by your definition. A hockey town is Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc. By your standard, I don't think there is any city in this country that would call themselves a hockey town. Just because hockey doesn't get the attention of the other 3 doesn't make it a bad market for hockey or a lousy hockey/sports town. If it was a miserable hockey market, there wouldn't be 3 teams. Secondly, I do not read newspapers or even follow local news. I watch NFL/NHL Network, read TSN. Only thing I get locally is WFAN in the car. Was stuck home all day yesterday afternoon waiting for a delivery, so wasn't listening. When I was finally able to go out, it was mentioned on the 20/20 update 3 times while I was driving around. What do you want them to do? Yankees had an afternoon game and Jeter was making his return. That is going to trump anything. But again, not sure why you use the media to judge the market. I judge based on the passion of the fans. Like I said, we don't have the numbers in this town that the other 3 do, but I will put the passion of the hockey fans up against the other 3 any day of the week and twice on sunday. The media is selling a product. Their newspapers, news programs, websites. They are going to try to appeal to the masses, and therefore cover the other 3 harder. Even Francesa, who has no interest in hockey until the play-offs has said many times that two most passionate fan bases in this town are the Giants and Rangers. And, has often credited the passion of the hockey fans (of all 3 teams) in this market.

I was in Chicago in April of 2008, and you wouldn't have even known Chicago had a team. When I was there in February of 2012, it was a different story. Of course, they were a season and a half removed from a Cup.

Bro, I understand your point. There are numerous passionate hockey fans in this market. You and I are two of them. However, we are a small percentage, and that's my point. If we lived in Boston, we'd fit in more as hockey is actually covered and discussed amongst the average man. Edited by devlman

Matthau, Mouse,

Bro, I understand your point. There are numerous passionate hockey fans in this's rite. You and I are two of them. However, we are a small percentage, and that's my point. If we lived in Boston, we'd fit in more as hockey is actually covered and discussed amongst the average man.

I agree with you about that, but if we were football fans in Boston, we'd be surrounded by bandwagoners who don't know sh!t and started watching around '01.

Philly basketball is actually pretty big. They had an article on it. When philly was in the playoffs they ratings were better for the league. N baseball. Philly big. Nationally. Even so.

They've improved, but they had some empty arenas with decent teams, and, having seen a baseball game there, the fans are almost all bandwagoners who jumped on when they won the World Series. There are a lot of people in the Philly area, but when you're talking about passionate, knowledgeable fans, they leave something to be desired. Whether we like them or not (I hate them), they are serious hockey and football fans. Baseball/basketball? Less so.

They've improved, but they had some empty arenas with decent teams, and, having seen a baseball game there, the fans are almost all bandwagoners who jumped on when they won the World Series. There are a lot of people in the Philly area, but when you're talking about passionate, knowledgeable fans, they leave something to be desired. Whether we like them or not (I hate them), they are serious hockey and football fans. Baseball/basketball? Less so.

yeah true. I watch their games on tv and opposing stadiums are like half philly. Like penguins there one the easier teams to like.

Still in disbelief and still have no opinion on the matter. Crazy just crazy.

i can guarantee he opened a can of worm there. Now all teams will feel the need to make sure their russians is happy or they could just jet out. Not saying every single russians will go back to the KHL but with the difference in money and the fame and all there. some will certainly consider it

i can guarantee he opened a can of worm there. Now all teams will feel the need to make sure their russians is happy or they could just jet out. Not saying every single russians will go back to the KHL but with the difference in money and the fame and all there. some will certainly consider it

peace out ovechkin

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/624108

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

I never want to see him in the NHL again and I'd hope there would be a group of GMa that would block him from ever returning

+1

What I really don't get is he was so close to a cup. He could taste it. Why the hell wouldn't he want to see that through. Now he will never get that chance. What does the khl even play for?

Edited by jonnyd91

+1 What I really don't get is he was so close to a cup. He could taste it. Why the hell wouldn't he want to see that through. Now he will never get that chance. What does the khl even play for?

Rubles and vodka?

Edited by TheMazz

+1 What I really don't get is he was so close to a cup. He could taste it. Why the hell wouldn't he want to see that through. Now he will never get that chance. What does the khl even play for?

Money, lots of money, well, if you're the right guy on the right team.

Two years@ 50 million in the KHL and sit out a year then return to the NHL as a second liner getting paid for a brand name price. Sounds like a plan.

Although according to TG the Devils would still own his rights so he'd at least be an asset to trade if not a possible player in front of unforgiving fans.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/624108

apparently that article is saying that Kovalchuk's siter Arina said he'd return to the NHL in 3 years? not sure how legit is that but thats not the point that im posting it.

Let's say he'd want to come back... how would you take it if he does? how would you treat him? treat him as a crowd?

Same paper has Kypreos saying the same thing basically:  http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/623822