NFL Week 2

CRASHER

The one thing that ALWAYS rings true in the NFL is that we learn a TON about the league and how things are going to go in the NFL after one week of play (more so this year since we only had one month of warm-ups to it)....and we did....and boy we got some gimmicks and some new members to the beloved anti-football club (hi Indy, I'm looking at you here....I'd say Dallas too but they don't deserve the HONOR of )....And for the first time in forever, the offenses came out of the pre-season WAY ahead of the defenses (well unless you're in Minnesota), and it seems like you wasn't no one unless you threw for 350 last week and you needed to break 400 to be cool....or have your team run a bunch of kicks back for TDs (so much for the kickoff rule screwing the returns eh?) anyway, time to have some fun getting ready to go for the 2nd Football Sunday of the year!

Sunday Sept 18:

1 pm:

Oakland at Buffalo:

*sigh*....it's games like this that make me wish the NFL was Pro Wrestling....why you ask?? This game would totally have a gimmick stipulation to it....something like in honor of the anti-football HALL OF FAME QB Trent Edwards on a pole match...or worse....whoever loses this game, they gotta re-sign him....damn that would be rough!!!

Anyway, both teams won last week....both teams also beat AFC West teams that no one should really be proud of....the Chiefs were overrated frauds coming into this season and already are piling up injuries and are gonna be brutal this year....and when your fanbase is clamoring and begging for Tim Teebow (more on this in the Bronco preview)....you deserve the 2-14 garbage around you (poor Kyle Orton, it's all blown up around him hasn't it?).... anyway, I was more impressed with the Bills and the balanced offense they have, tough run defense (if you can shut down Charles, you can shut down D-Mac).....and Fitzpatrick vs Jason Campbell....REALLY??? Do you expect any less??? LET'S.... GO..... BUFFALO!!!!! (the football man-crush continues!!)

Winner: Bills

Game Quality: *** (the Bills will be fun to watch!)

Packers at Panthers:

Alright football media it's time to get off your knees and stop sucking off Cam Newton (amazing how these same people in the media, who by the way all seem to be BLACK...just saying, are all goofy over Newton, said NOTHING about McNabb's pathetic effort on Sunday, and when Newton sucks this week he'll be "just a rookie" or McNabb will "be back" when he looks like a sorta-average NFL QB.... all I ask is God FORBID a black member of the NFL Media ONCE just say a black QB sucks when HE DOES....it's not me being racist...if I was I'd use a HARSHER word to describe the fella...it just pisses me off)....anyway..... sCam Newton had a stupid game last week....and if you ask me...it's more a sign of how BAD the Arizona defense is....and we'll find this out this week....the Packers are unstoppable on offense and once they shut down Steve Smith, this will be over FAST!!!

Winner: Packers

Game Quality: * (this is a jobbers match of WWF Superstars fame...)

Chiefs at Lions:

It's gonna be a LONG year in Kansas City ain't it??? Buzzsaw'ed first by the Bills....and now they're gonna get pounded by the Lions in their home opener....injuries piling up....and still relying on Matt Cassel (yeeccchh) as their QB....the Chiefs can still run the ball...but good luck on that front four of Detroit's....some games make themselves wide open for witty comments and joyous moments....this ain't one of them.... if only Chiefs Guy would show up at the damn bar for a little conflict ....

Winner: Lions

Game Quality: * 1/2 (the Chiefs are falling from the sky at Owen Hart-speeds)

Browns at Colts:

ANTI-FOOTBALL IN INDIANAPOLIS!!!! Been a long time comin too!! Calling the Colts brutal last week is an understatement....but still....Kerry Collins has had what two weeks to learn the most complex offense in football??

(and to be fair I think the only guy who REALLY knows that offense is Peyton Manning), but if only you could put

Colt McCoy on the Colts team....would be quite awesome....or maybe a guy who could catch the ball on the Browns?? Oh to dream....this game might be a bit too funny and entertaining to turn a blind eye too, I do expect the Colts to be better, and I still don't like this Browns offense enough to pick them for ANYTHING, this has FUN TIMES in that Keystone Kops Football Follies sorta way doesn't it??

Winner: Colts

Game Quality: *** (anti-football NATION welcomes the Colts to our home

Tampa Bay at Minnesota:

39 yards passing??? I can WALK that far in my freaking apartment!!! But yet that was all the offense Donovan McFAIL could throw for last week....and that's with AP in the backfield to make you keep 7-8 guys in the box....oh yeah he's still a "quality QB"...but hey he's a black QB so he gets a free pass ....hell take away that Percy Harvin kick return and I don't think the entire Viking offense would fit in this apartment....heh....yeah Tampa lost too, but they at least know how the forward pass works in the NFL and should actually get a couple hundred yards passing this week ....Tampa should win this handily....and I don't know why, but I do get a chuckle out of seeing McNabb fail on an epic level!!!

Winner: Tampa

Game Quality: ** (Maybe McNabb can throw for 3 figures this week?)

Bears at Saints:

This was going to be an interesting game, and I think it's the first time this group of Saints get the Bears in their building for once....and if you add in the Brian Urlacher story (he lost his mom during the week)....and we get to see if he can pull a Brett Favre (as much as I hate the guy, NO ONE re-focused and went nuts like Favre did after a family tragedy)....and will the Bears rally behind that?? Oh wait, time for a reality fix too....even to the soft Falcons D, Jay Cutler got dropped FIVE times....somethings will never change....and the Saint D isn't awesome but they do make opportunity and cash in on it....sacks and turnovers indeed, add in home field and the Saints have the better team and you can take your emotional lift and nice story with Urlacher and stuff em

Winner: Saints

Game Quality: *** 1/2

Jaguars at Jets:

We watch the Jags-Titans game....ALL OF IT....my God that was the worst display of offensive football ever seen by human eyes without it being eight year olds who were too small for their pads....Jesus that was gross...I think Jones-Drew out gained not only his team but the whole Titan team too....that's not gonna happen this week, the Jags are gonna have to throw the ball (and Dallas did show as long as your QB has a brain on his head, you can throw on the Jets)....sitting here making a case for this putrid team (no the Jaguars...calm down Jet fans) it's just not worth my time....and neither is watching this game

Winner: Jets

Game Quality: DUD (Jacksonville is AWFUL)

Seattle at Steelers:

OK Pittsburgh so you got your face bashed in by the Ravens, you turned the ball over 7 times...what do you do....oh what do you do?? You look at your next opponent and see Seattle....you smile....you exhale....you go out there and abuse the piss out of this awful team and count the turnovers that Tavares Jackson will give you, you re-establish dominance and feel better with this blood letting.....you get me lots of fantasy points with Mendenhall and life is much more better! As for Seattle....sorry bout yo damn luck!!!

Winner: Steelers

Game Quality: DUD (This is the "feel better week in Pittsburgh)

Ravens at Titans:

I was watching NFL Playbook yesterday (see...research people!!!), and they asked Brian Billick (who still looks like Herman Munster to me)....about Chris Johnson and will he get a hundred yards in this game and he gave a GEM back "Hell Johnson couldn't get a hundred yards in two games....COMBINED on the Ravens)....I'm apt to agree with him....yeah the Ravens might be a bit of a letdown this week after pounding the Steelers, but gah, as bad as I think Seattle and Jacksonville are....these guys could be WORSE, there's no way on God's Green Earth the Titans win this puppy.....if I hadn't picked the Lions, this would REEK of survivor pick.....

Winner: Ravens

Game Quality: DUD (man the stinkers are FLOWING)

Arizona at Redskins:

The Cardinal "defense" gave up 400 yards to sCam Newton...imagine a REAL QB...oh wait...it's still Rex Grossman....though a beat up Giants defense is just as horrid as Arizona at full-strength....still 400 yards for sCam Newton....*shakes his head*....I do have to say the Redskins were pretty impressive last week....especially on defense, they frustrated the hell out of the Giants....and with them and the Cowboys looking on the down, the Redskins, Lord help us all, could make some noise in the NFC....yes....really, and this will be a nice little test for Kevin Kolb and can he move the ball (and find Fitzgerald for Christ's sake!) on the Redskins D...he won't Donovan McNabb this, but he won't light them up either....and I can't believe I'm picking this team for 2-0...oh wait, one of these teams GOTTA be....

Winner: Redskins

Game Quality: ** (this could be funny!)

4pm:

Dallas at 49ers:

There are rules, and there are things you can put up with as a fan of a team...losing seasons, failed ends to a season, bad signings....all of this comes with the territory (more so when you root in a hostile environment)...but there is ONE crime that a team can commit that there is almost no excuse for...no accounting for...no apologies or "aw shucks we'll get them next week" crap can fix....it's a brutal crime and its like I said....inexcusable...no matter how good or bad your team is....there MUST be HOPE for you the fan regardless of whatever team it is you are a fan of....when that team MAKES YOU GIVE UP HOPE....it's over.....and that 4th quarter last week did it...and I'll leave it like that.....now time for stirring analysis....yay!! (and this goes more then Dumbo's idiot brain farts....Cowboy play call idiocy....and once again the "elite pass rusher in the NFL was INVISIBLE in the second half...I don't want to hear adjustments and schemes and injured corners....you wanna be a star player there 94...CAUSE SOME HAVOC IN THE 4TH QUARTER WHEN IT COUNTS.....GET THROUGH...MAKE A PLAY AND TURN THE DAMN TIDE.....Dumbo deserves all the sh!t he gets for this game, but it gets WAY too many players in Silver and White off the hook and this guy's one of them)

And to think I had a sick inside thought of GOING to this game....Jesus, good thing I'd have had other reasons to be there....this is a heaping pile of dogsh!t...the 49ers maybe 1-0 that's only because Seattle is worse....Alex Smith?? Alex Smith?? *cringe*....least unlike #9, he may stink but he plays with guts and knows how to SLIDE and throw the ball out of bounds.... *sigh*....anyway....for the Cowboy fan with hope, this is your "feel better" game since the 49ers are brutal....though only imagine the Niners winning this game....ah for the old days when this was the unofficial NFC Title game right??

Winner: Cowboys

Game Quality: * 3/4 (I refuse to honor the Cowboys with an anti-football ranking)

Bengals at Broncos:

Oh anti-football.....one team that wants to wipe the mention of their QB (Carson Palmer) off the map Chris Benoit-style....and another team that can't get their idiot fans to shut up about Tim Teebow...and really, besides being idiots and overpaying for this guy in the draft what has he done in the NFL to justify a John Cena wins level riot on poor Kyle Orton (if it was Randy Orton I'd see it...I'm sick of him too...GO MARK HENRY...anyway), this whole Denver team kinda feels like a round peg and square hole as John Fox starts to take over, and with Dalton injured, the Bengals have a very GOOD, but underrated QB in Gradkowski (go back and look at his Raider numbers last year, he was a big reason for that 8-8)....but all this aside this game will be decidedly AWFUL and worth listening to just for the fan riot as the Broncos lose two in a row at home :D

Winner: Bengals

Game Quality: **

Houston at Miami:

Boy the Texicans must be loving life right? No Manning to deal with....the rest of the division sucks and they just humiliated the Colts back to Divsion 3 football....life is good....right??? Don't be fooled, this is still that same, soft, gutless team they've been since Gary Kubiak took them over and this game not only reeks of CLASSIC letdown, but with the rest of the AFC East looking (and probably) going for 2-0, this is damn near a MUST game for Miami, and this is a big show n tell game for Chad Henne, it looks like the offense is finally designed for him and not that damn wildcat anymore, he can spread the ball, he made plays...only turned the ball over once (which at this point is a Dumbo Wet Dream....well aside the ones of Super Models :P).....and Reggie Bush seems to be a good addition to this offense...he's a safety valve, can run some draws and keep the D guessing....this offense will challenge the Houston defense too....and I really gotta give the edge to Miami here....desperation vs letdown, home field and the "same old Texans" commentary.....I also think Miami might be better then people think....

Winner: Miami

Game Quality: ***

Chargers at Patriots:

Some people say the numbers don't lie (some people base their entire hockey lives on such silly things)....but here's a case where the numbers DO lie....Tom Brady's QB rating is LOWEST against San Diego over his career AND no QB has a higher rating on Belichek's defenses then Phillip Rivers does....but what's the W-L numbers....Rivers is 2-5 vs the Patriots....go figure?? Stick that in your Fenwick and Corsi ratings ....this should be one of those fun 42-35 type games too (hell if Chad Henne can go for 400, right?), and every team looks like a special teams GOD on the Chargers....add in a cross-country trip (no California Croissants for this one!), and this will be a fun game and a man-gasm for said fantasy football owners!

Winner: Patriots

Game Quality: *****

8pm:

Eagles at Falcons:

And team puppy power goes back to it's old kennel!! This is a big game for both....the Vick homecoming and don't forget the Falcons lost two games ALL SEASON last year....and could be staring down 0-2 here (least for the Falcons' sake no one in the NFC South has come out of the gated flying), it's gonna be interesting to see how blindly loyal the Atlanta fans (ha I know what a contradiction THAT is) are to Vick...after hearing all of Denver chant blindly for a QB who can't complete a five yard pass, why not let the Falcon "fan" do the same? Right?? All drama and storylines aside (oh wait....I post this on NJ Devs....MUST HAVE MOAR DRAMASSSSS OMMMGGGG!!!), I don't like the match-ups for Atlanta, with the exception of th fact the Falcons should be able to run on the Eagles....I think this is gonna be a shooting match....and we all know Mister Vick knows a thing or two about leading the dogs in for the kill right?? :)

Winner: Eagles

Game Quality: *** (big plays will be on the menu!)

Monday Sept. 19:

Rams at NY Giants:

And the two most injured teams in the NFL go at it on Monday Night, kinda funny to see St Louis screw St Louis for once, down a receiver, Steven Jackson probably not playing (OMG HURRY AND BE AN UNFAIR FANTASY FOOTBALL OWNER AND VULTURE HIM ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON WHEN JACKSON COMES UP LIMPING!!!!), at least for the Rams, the training staff dug up Michael Jackson's magic glove and he's using that to help that big finger get more better so he can play Monday (and he's used to having a crappy WR core, he did last year after all), the Giants are getting a bit healthier on D, and they'd better....hell they made Rex Grossman look like....ummm, well.....Cam Newton?? HA!! It's always tough to gauge a game with so many injuries, but the Giants seem healthier and at home, and only in the NFC West can you be 0-2 and still a contender (hell 0-5 doesn't take you out of the NFC Worst picture)...not exactly a "marquis, Prime Time game" on Monday Night......

Winner: Giants

Game Quality: ** (if the injured list was playing this would be awesome)

NFL Power Rankings:

AFC:

1. New England....ranked #1 last week, though I worry about the D, 517 yards of passing hides a LOT of holes

2. Baltimore....still giving Manta-gasms from last week

3. San Diego.... offense showed up, defense was EPIC....special teams more like special Ed

4. NY Jets....I'd be worried about that pass D though....

5. Houston....I hate putting them here, and I'm still not convinced....

NFC:

1. Green Bay....offense is AWESOME defense did what it had to and got forgotten because the game was on Thursday....

2. Eagles....big plays all over, but can they run the 10 play 80 yard drive when it matters?

3. Detroit...big win and young talent is on the rise.....

4. Washington...yes really....the defense looked GOOD, air Rex??

5. New Orleans....they're good, just not Green Bay good.....

Edited by CRASHER

Wait, are you being serious on Gradkowski? Or was that some joke I missed? He was awful with Oakland last season; 1-3 record (Campbell was 7-5, btw), 5 TD, 7 INT, 52.9 completion%, 66.3 passer rating. Ick. Maybe a meh Oakland team is partially to blame for those numbers, but that passer rating IS in line with his career rating (66.5) and Campbell did wayyy better with that same group. I'd have a hard time buying that hes "underrated". :blink: If anything, he was more passable (no pun intended) in 2009 with Oakland opposed to last year. Oakland was solid last season because of their ground attack and didn't get give up many yards against the pass. But I'm going to assume that was just a joke.... I hope.

But I do agree on Denver: shut up about Tebow already. That team is a bigger fish to fry (uh, stopping the run .. stopping the pass .. getting Moreno, Lloyd, Dumervil, Bailey healthy..) than Kyle Orton, who has been a pretty average, if not slightly better, QB since coming to Denver.

Edited by nmigliore

Wait, are you being serious on Gradkowski? Or was that some joke I missed? He was awful with Oakland last season; 5 TD, 7 INT, 52.9 completion%, 66.3 passer rating. Ick. Maybe a bad Oakland team is partially to blame for those numbers, but that passer rating IS in line with his career rating (66.5). I'd have a hard time buying that hes "underrated". :blink:

If anything, he was more passable (no pun intended) in 2009 with Oakland opposed to last year.

But I do agree on Denver: shut up about Tebow already. That team is a bigger fish to fry (uh, stopping the run .. stopping the pass .. getting Moreno, Lloyd, Dumervil, Bailey healthy..) than Kyle Orton, who has been a pretty average, if not slightly better, QB since coming to Denver.

I was referring more to:

1. their 8-8 record

2. being better then Jason Campbell (which is like saying you're better then T-Jax or Alex Smith I know)

3. Who lead the Bengals down the field to the winning drive last week? 'twas Bruce....Almighty (:lol:)...well not so much I guess....I thought he was more a factor then he was last year....Jesus :blink: ....I still think he's a pretty damn reliable backup and he still DID beat the Browns last week...so NYAH :P

I was referring more to:

1. their 8-8 record

2. being better then Jason Campbell (which is like saying you're better then T-Jax or Alex Smith I know)

3. Who lead the Bengals down the field to the winning drive last week? 'twas Bruce....Almighty (:lol:)...well not so much I guess....I thought he was more a factor then he was last year....Jesus :blink: ....I still think he's a pretty damn reliable backup and he still DID beat the Browns last week...so NYAH :P

1. You realize he was 1-3 compared to Campbell's 7-5 record, right? If anything, he held them back. You didn't catch my edit so I'll throw it in here again: Oakland was solid last season because of their ground attack (2nd most rushing yards in the league) and the fact they didn't give up many yards against the pass (2nd best in passing yards against). Whatever Gradkowski contributed, it sure as hell wasn't much, if anything at all.

2. Come on, really? Campbell is far from anything special, but his passer rating was above 80 last year; Grad's was in the mid-60's. It's at least like deciding to eat dog crap plain (Grad) or dog crap with ice cream on it (Campbell). I'll take the latter!! :P

If anything, Campbell is the underrated QB here. His passer rating has been pretty much identical (mid-80's) for 3 straight seasons entering this year, and hes done that with some poor 'Skins/Raiders teams.

3. One game!! Ryan Fitzpatrick leads all QB's in passer rating... RYAN FITZPATRICK.. let that settle in. :P

Edited by nmigliore

1. You realize he was 1-3 compared to Campbell's 7-5 record, right? If anything, he held them back. You didn't catch my edit so I'll throw it in here again: Oakland was solid last season because of their ground attack (2nd most rushing yards in the league) and the fact they didn't give up many yards against the pass (2nd best in passing yards against). Whatever Gradkowski contributed, it sure as hell wasn't much, if anything at all.

2. Come on, really? Campbell is far from anything special, but his passer rating was above 80 last year; Grad's was in the mid-60's. It's at least like deciding to eat dog crap plain (Grad) or dog crap with ice cream on it (Campbell). I'll take the latter!! :P

I'd still take Gradkowski over Campbell, but this is like picking the guy in the wheelchair over the dude on crutches for a kickball game :P

3. One game!! Ryan Fitzpatrick leads all QB's in passer rating... RYAN FITZPATRICK.. let that settle in. :P

:wub: :wub: :wub: ......I BILL-IEVE IN FITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(you picked a bad choice to prove your point, I was sold on Fitz from last year :P )

But the QB Rating system is totally fraked that Brady isn't first after HIS game on Monday :blink:

Nice to have an obscure football battle in here for once....I need this....thank you!

Okay, I'll give you that on Fitz :P... there may be something there. He was pretty average last season; that's not saying much, but it's still wayyy better than hes been in the past, and again, consider the team he was on.

Edited by nmigliore

Okay, I'll give you that on Fitz :P... there may be something there. He was pretty average last season; that's not saying much, but it's still wayyy better than hes been in the past, and again, consider the team he was on.

I watch a lot of Buffalo games (gives me Clown Bait :P , and I think they are a fun team)...they're fun to watch and lots of young talent all over the place....this team is slowly going somewhere....just watch!! B )

The Chargers shot themselves in the foot at times, but man, watching that game, Brady was unstoppable again... 31/40, 400+ yards, 3 TD, 0 INT. Wow... and he looked as very good as those numbers say.

What the hell happened to Baltimore? They shut down Chris Johnson but let Matt freakin' Hasselbeck blow them up for 350+ yards?!

The Jets did what they had to do. Good defense -- McCown looked about as awful as you can look -- while offense was more meh; Keller was great and Sanchez completed 17/24 with 2 TD... but he also threw 2 INT and the running game was ineffective again. Losing Nick Mangold stings a lot too.

Another thing: I feel awful for Kansas City. First Eric Berry... now Jamaal Charles... they just lost their (arguably) 2 most valuable players on each side of the ball. And Cassel has looked crappy. Eesh.

Edited by nmigliore

The Chargers shot themselves in the foot at times, but man, watching that game, Brady was unstoppable again... 31/40, 400+ yards, 3 TD, 0 INT. Wow... and he looked as very good as those numbers say.

If you were to make an argument in this being the; *best offense the Brady lead Patriots have ever had* ..you'd seriously have a great debate to contend over. Both on paper and on the field.. New England's offense is the best the league has to offer. (simply put) I have never seen a team move the ball with such ease as the Patriots do, week in and week out.

The TE's, the WR's, the QB, the o'line, the schemes, the plays, the lack of penalties.. there isn't a flaw you can find when it comes to trying to critique the Patriots offense. To say it is the best offense in football, would be an understatement. There's nobody even remotely close.

YET.. offense don't win championships. Defense wins championships. And their defense aint' scaring anyone. :whistling:

In spite of Ihedigbo, Ellis, Carter, Haynesworth, and any/all whom they signed in the offseason (not to mention changing from a 3-4 to 4-3) that defense is the same as it was before. You could even make the argument that they've gone back a step.

You can move on NE, you can run on NE, you can throw on NE. You can pretty much do whatever you want on NE, as the last 2 games have shown. (960 yrds?! :unsure: ) --But, like you pointed out.. neither Miami or the Chargers were able to capitalize on any of their plays. Moreover.. they were sabotaging themselves by being reckless with the ball.

The thing that the Patriots have going for them is depth. Ochocinco, Branch, Welker, Woodhead, Green`Ellis, Gronkowski, you can go on and on. If everyone on offense can stay healthy, they'll continue to win 30-28 type games.

What the hell happened to Baltimore? They shut down Chris Johnson but let Matt freakin' Hasselbeck blow them up for 350+ yards?!

I love it! Shuffles the pecking order a bit in the Conference. :D

Looking @ Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Diego, Denver, Tennessee, etc.. all having a 1-1 record NOW in Week 2, is meaningless. However, come December when your fighting for a Wild Card spot.. that's when you look back on these games as possibly being the difference.

The Jets did what they had to do. Good defense -- McCown looked about as awful as you can look -- while offense was more meh; Keller was great and Sanchez completed 17/24 with 2 TD... but he also threw 2 INT and the running game was ineffective again. Losing Nick Mangold stings a lot too.

Shaun O'Hara is still available as an option, should Mangold miss any considerable time. But, yeah.. I'm trying to temper myself for the time being.

Remember.. we started with a 3-0 record two years ago, before having it become a 4-7 record come Thanksgiving. If the Jets can do this through Week(s) 4-7.. when they play the Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, and Miami.. that's when I'll start buying my playoff tickets. Until then, I'm sticking with my 8-8 prediction.

-----------

EDIT: With-that-said.. :::FIST-PUMP::: :cheers:

For all the premature jabber throughout preseason that "the Jets can't put numbers", (and I know it's only Dallas & Jacksonville, but) --60 points in 2 games.

TD's from the defense, offense, special teams, FG's, safeties, whatever. Doesn't really matter. If this team can continue to put up 30 points a game, they'll keep teams honest.

Meanwhile the defense has shown turnover ability. 7 sacks, 5 interceptions, 8 takeaways, in 2 weeks!

But again.. the true test will be from next week on. It's not very easy to go into the black hole and win games.

Edited by Beezer34

The Mangold thing really worried me when it happened, but Rex in his presser said it's just a sprain and X-Rays are negative. I bet they would've let him back in to play...but the game was pretty much in hand even at 16-3. Jags couldn't do a damn thing offensively other than the occasional burst by Maurice Jones Drew

Passer Rating (leaders after Week 2):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

These numbers are beyond insane. I remember when it was a big deal to finish a season with an 100+ passer rating, or to finish a game with 300 passing yards. Who knows if this will continue...but this is still a crazy, crazy start to this season. No wonder Peyton will do just about anything to get back right now...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I watch a lot of Buffalo games (gives me Clown Bait :P , and I think they are a fun team)...they're fun to watch and lots of young talent all over the place....this team is slowly going somewhere....just watch!! B )

OH CMON CLOWN BAIT!!!!

Back from the Jerz now after a 4 day trip and finally have some time to digest that game (I only saw the end, thanks for CRASHER for keeping me updated via texts!)

This is the wild thing about the Bills offense:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick: 7th round pick for the Rams, signed in 2009 as an afterthought

2. #1 RB Fred Jackson: Signed to the practice squad in 2006, played with the immortal Sioux City Bandits.

3. #1 WR Steve Johnson: 7th round pick by the Bills in 2008

4. #2 WR David Nelson: Undrafted FA, 14 receptions so far 6'5 big target WR

5. #1 TE Scott Chandler: Claimed off waivers by Buffalo in 2010, 4th round pick by SD.

Amazing enough, the highest pick on their offense CJ Spiller (9th overall) has been the most disappointing.

A bunch of misfits indeed, but darn fun to watch.

Can't wait for Sunday, even if Brady carves us up

OH CMON CLOWN BAIT!!!!

Back from the Jerz now after a 4 day trip and finally have some time to digest that game (I only saw the end, thanks for CRASHER for keeping me updated via texts!)

This is the wild thing about the Bills offense:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick: 7th round pick for the Rams, signed in 2009 as an afterthought

2. #1 RB Fred Jackson: Signed to the practice squad in 2006, played with the immortal Sioux City Bandits.

3. #1 WR Steve Johnson: 7th round pick by the Bills in 2008

4. #2 WR David Nelson: Undrafted FA, 14 receptions so far 6'5 big target WR

5. #1 TE Scott Chandler: Claimed off waivers by Buffalo in 2010, 4th round pick by SD.

Amazing enough, the highest pick on their offense CJ Spiller (9th overall) has been the most disappointing.

A bunch of misfits indeed, but darn fun to watch.

Can't wait for Sunday, even if Brady carves us up

Lots o' carving going on on both sides of the ball these days in Patriot-land...about 2,000 yards of offense through two games for the Pats and their opponents combined...

Pats always seem to find a way to keep the yards being piled up against them from turning into loads of points, but there are players on D that are not playing as well as they did last season...McCourty comes to mind first.

But as some here will happily point out, the problem has been on both sides of the ball for the Pats come playoff time. Only 14, 14, and 21 points scored in their last three (and let's face it, the last TD the Pats put up against the Jets was more cosmetic than anything else...it made both Brady's stats and the Patriot production look better than it was). In Brady's last 4 playoff games, he's thrown 7 TDs and 7 INTs, and at times has looked flustered.

I never take making the playoffs for granted (bad idea in today's NFL), but even if the Patriots go anywhere from 12-4 to 16-0 and nab another #1 seed and become the clear favorites, no one is going to care...there's questions that will persist about them until they get it done in the playoffs (even if, as Brady's and BB's 3 rings will attest, they already have).

Crasher, still no Cam Newton love? :P Sure, 3 interceptions is bad... but 400+ yards/60+ completion percentage for the 2nd straight game. That's excellent for a rookie. He's also has averaged over 10 yards per passing attempt, 2nd to only Tom Brady so far. Heck, he's even scrambled for 71 yards and a couple of touchdowns... It's obviously only 2 games, but it's hard to ignore some signs of something special there.

Edited by nmigliore

Crasher, still no Cam Newton love? :P Sure, 3 interceptions is bad... but 400+ yards/60+ completion percentage for the 2nd straight game. That's excellent for a rookie. He's also has averaged over 10 yards per passing attempt, 2nd to only Tom Brady so far. Heck, he's even scrambled for 71 yards and a couple of touchdowns... It's obviously only 2 games, but it's hard to ignore some signs of something special there.

None, look around the league....the offenses are MILES ahead of the defenses this year, it's almost painful to watch, you step on the field now and damn near throw for 300 yards in the NFL...it's like that season in the NHL where it was illegal to play defense in the slot and Gionta and Cheechoo became 45 goal scorers :P

Not to mention sCam turned it over 4 times, is 0-2 and when he had to make a play on the AWFUL Arizona defense in Week 1....he DIDN'T!

Cam Newton has done what no rookie has ever done.. I dont know who, in their right mind, wouldn't give him a little respect. The guy hasnt played in an NFL game and stepped right up and led his team. The only problem is that he's 0-2- which is a flaw sure, but the guy is young and you have to at least see something with a rookie throwing as many yards as he has in his first two games

3 TDs, 4 INTs and 8 sacks....passing the ball up and down between the 20s is lovely but when the money's on the line, they've found a way to stop him (not to mention he's also doing this on 7-8 man fronts, as teams are working on taking away the RBs, only 3 teams are worse then their 72 yards/game), there's some smoke and mirrors behind the OMG HE'S ON A DAN MARINO PACE ALREADY!!!!!

None, look around the league....the offenses are MILES ahead of the defenses this year, it's almost painful to watch, you step on the field now and damn near throw for 300 yards in the NFL...it's like that season in the NHL where it was illegal to play defense in the slot and Gionta and Cheechoo became 45 goal scorers :P

Not to mention sCam turned it over 4 times, is 0-2 and when he had to make a play on the AWFUL Arizona defense in Week 1....he DIDN'T!

Funny, that same comparison (2011 NFL/2005 NHL) popped into my mind. Numbers are bloated right now, no question. Will they come back down once defenses settle in?

When you look at passer ratings and overall numbers from the 70s, they almost seem like a joke compared to the numbers put up now. Of course, the big rule change of 1978 was the first big one to help out QB numbers. For those who aren't familiar with it: prior to 78, CBs could check receivers all the way down the field, rather than the first 5 yards. There must have been some ugly football back then...hell, it was extremely common for good QBs to retire with more INTs and TDs, and completion %s not much better than 50. This is why I don't like cross-era comparisons...Brady may be the best of his generation, but I wouldn't know how to compare him to guys like Johnny Unitas, who pretty much played an entirely different game.

Even though the QB numbers immediately improved with that rule change, what's going on now is off-the-charts.

CR, I don't see a way FOR the defenses to catch up this year....yeah they will have practices and ways to work on timing and film but the biggest thing is in the new CBA, they all but removed PRACTICING IN PADS, and you can't play football in pads without PRACTICING football in pads, and that's a big reason I think this offensive orgy is gonna go on all year long and a lot of records are gonna be smashed by this......

CR, I don't see a way FOR the defenses to catch up this year....yeah they will have practices and ways to work on timing and film but the biggest thing is in the new CBA, they all but removed PRACTICING IN PADS, and you can't play football in pads without PRACTICING football in pads, and that's a big reason I think this offensive orgy is gonna go on all year long and a lot of records are gonna be smashed by this......

I can't say I like that. I don't want to overreact to two weeks of football, but if the number-bloating continues, it will be sad for those who didn't get to see guys like Joe Montana look at his stats and say, "Was he really that good?"

Cam Newton has done what no rookie has ever done.. I dont know who, in their right mind, wouldn't give him a little respect. The guy hasnt played in an NFL game and stepped right up and led his team. The only problem is that he's 0-2- which is a flaw sure, but the guy is young and you have to at least see something with a rookie throwing as many yards as he has in his first two games

This. I'm not fully on the Newton hypewagon, but he's been impressive thus far. I mean, yes he is 0-2, but he's playing on a team that was the WORST in the league last year and not many additions were made. The defense has been giving up a ton of points so the fault him for not leading them to even more points is unfair. No rookie has ever passed for that many yards and now he's done it twice. Only 7 guys have ever had back-to-back 400+ yard passing games and Cam Newton is one of them. He may fall off (likely), but he still deserves credit for what he has done so far. I think the most impressive part of it has been that he's doing all this after an offseason where he didn't really get to workout and play with the team until way late. Look how many rookies have the whole offseason to learn the offense and whatnot and DON'T do this and now he's come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. I have a lot of respect for what he's done and I think it'll be interesting what the Panthers can do in a few years once they start building the team around him.