Adam Oates fired.

Bartholomew Hunt

On a related note, what are the chances Ovechkin goes back to Russia in the next 3 years? I think it happens. There's obviously a precedent now, and he could make even more money over there. I know there is a lot of political unrest in that area of the world right now, but I don't think I'm going out on any big limb here.

and GMGM too. I heard somewhere (I don't remember where) that a lot of people thought he'd come to NJ to work in the front office until he got a new gig somewhere since he's BFFs with Lou 

It's been mentioned but I think he might get the Calgary gig, or Vancouver if Gillis goes (which is likely).

McPhee won't go to Vancouver.  Not with Tortorella entrenched and with Linden in a VP capacity already.  Calgary is a possibility since I think McPhee has some rapport with Burke, but Burke isn't the easiest guy to get along with and I think Burke wants to remain in a President capacity there.

McPhee will be careful about his next spot.  He is a guy who will want stability and some potential for oversight.

McPhee in some kind of Asst GM transition to next GM role here is a possibility.  McPhee is a big believer in building through the draft and how important it is in maintaining that pipeline.  Doesn't have the best reputation on free agency situations or relationships with players or agents, but he'd be a strong candidate if ownership is interested in having another Lou type with some subtle changes over the short term that need to be implemented.

Personally I think their roster is trash and I don't really think yet another coaching change will fix it (unless they get some good two way players in the off season). Too many of their guys are one dimensional and a lot of them play big minutes; ovechkin, johanssen, green, etc. I thought losing Ribeiro in the offseason was a big blow to them, and if Grabovski leaves this summer that would really hurt their roster as well.

Personally I think their roster is trash and I don't really think yet another coaching change will fix it (unless they get some good two way players in the off season). Too many of their guys are one dimensional and a lot of them play big minutes; ovechkin, johanssen, green, etc. I thought losing Ribeiro in the offseason was a big blow to them, and if Grabovski leaves this summer that would really hurt their roster as well.

Our roster is worse.

It's been mentioned but I think he might get the Calgary gig, or Vancouver if Gillis goes (which is likely).

Vancouver seems like a good bet. I don't know if there actually is a Calgary gig since Burke will probably just subsume it and keep them terrible 

Our roster is worse.

Maybe the Caps have a more talented roster, but I'd take this Devils roster over the Caps' any day.  We have a great coach, a great system, and a winning mentality here.  The caps have NONE of that, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Maybe the Caps have a more talented roster, but I'd take this Devils roster over the Caps any day. We have a great coach, a great system, and a winning mentality here. The caps have NONE of that, as far as I can tell.

Hahaha. You are a funny guy with that second sentence. Caps have more playoff appearances over the last seven years than we do. We have missed three out of the last four. Your statements are hyperbole. We don't have a winning mentality any more than every other team in the NHL. Results are what matters, the rest is just Pierre McGuire gibberish. Coaches and systems come and go and can't be quantified or qualified except for results and Deboer is living off of one fluky run to the Finals.

Hahaha. You are a funny guy with that second sentence. Caps have more playoff appearances over the last seven years than we do. We have missed three out of the last four. Your statements are hyperbole. We don't have a winning mentality any more than every other team in the NHL. Results are what matters, the rest is just Pierre McGuire gibberish. Coaches and systems come and go and can't be quantified or qualified except for results and Deboer is living off of one fluky run to the Finals.

He's living with a horrible goalie, and that will end this year.  The Caps were clearly on the decline and none of it is goaltending related.

Don't love this firing. The Capitals are a pretty average team. They fired Boudreau who is a pretty good NHL coach. Now after one full season with one training camp, the owner dumps Oates. A bit too early. Maybe Oates and Ovie didn't see eye to eye, and this is Leonsis sucking up to his superstar. That I could understand.

McPhee...that was a given.

He's living with a horrible goalie, and that will end this year.  The Caps were clearly on the decline and none of it is goaltending related.

you forgot to include hes also living with a ton of dead weight 3rd line players on his roster... we barely have one or two first liners if we even have any first line players at all...

I like Oates as a coach, he got the most out of this caps roster that he could, the team just isn't very good and unfortunately for him they finally moved to a competitive division. But I'm assuming there will be no spot for him on our bench and Barr will return.

McPhee in some kind of Asst GM transition to next GM role here is a possibility. McPhee is a big believer in building through the draft and how important it is in maintaining that pipeline. Doesn't have the best reputation on free agency situations or relationships with players or agents, but he'd be a strong candidate if ownership is interested in having another Lou type with some subtle changes over the short term that need to be implemented.

I really hope you're not actually advocating for McPhee here, he's been one of the worst gms in the league over the past decade and the only thing that's helped him has been the no-brainer draft of ovechkin, you say he's built through the draft- well yeah it's easy to say that when he takes ovechkin backstrom and alzner with top 5 picks in 3 consecutive years.

Also I have no idea how you view Lou lamiorellio as a "subtle change" type of guy. Have we been watching the same gm work over the past 2 decades? Nothing can be further from the truth...