2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

He did cost them points.  That's what you're not getting.  It wasn't like NJ was winning 2-1 and losing 8-1 when Brodeur was in net, so that the additional goals didn't matter.  Given the number of goals Brodeur got as goal support, the Devils should have more wins.  They don't because of Brodeur.

And yet he still played well enough to average more points than Cory, who we both know has been the better goalie for a long time. What statistically SHOULD have happened is not what actually occurred. 

You're taking an entire team's ineptitude, and laying it at the feet of a goalie who played just over half the games and won more than he lost. The Devils would also have more wins if they scored on more than one of the twenty-something shootout attempts they made. The fact of the matter is, if the Devils miss the playoffs it won't be the fault of one guy. 

And yet he still played well enough to average more points than Cory, who we both know has been the better goalie for a long time. What statistically SHOULD have happened is not what actually occurred. 

You're taking an entire team's ineptitude, and laying it at the feet of a goalie who played just over half the games and won more than he lost. The Devils would also have more wins if they scored on more than one of the twenty-something shootout attempts they made. The fact of the matter is, if the Devils miss the playoffs it won't be the fault of one guy. 

No, I'm not.  You're not understanding.  Throw out the team with Schneider.  Now look at the team with just Brodeur.  The team that scores 3 goals a game.  The team that still doesn't win considerably more than 50% because of the goaltender.  Meanwhile Schneider wins more than he should because he is excellent despite the offensive ineptitude.  Brodeur has nothing to do with the team scoring lots of goals and yet you seem to think he does because you keep bringing up wins.  It doesn't matter how many games they won or lost.  It matters how many goals each guy gives up and Brodeur gives up more per game and more per shot on goal against.  He's a worse goalie.  He'd be a worse goalie if the Devils won all of their games with him in net or none.  He was a worse goalie to begin the year and he's a worse goalie now.

No, I'm not.  You're not understanding.  Throw out the team with Schneider.  Now look at the team with just Brodeur.  The team that scores 3 goals a game.  The team that still doesn't win considerably more than 50% because of the goaltender.  Meanwhile Schneider wins more than he should because he is excellent despite the offensive ineptitude.  Brodeur has nothing to do with the team scoring lots of goals and yet you seem to think he does because you keep bringing up wins.  It doesn't matter how many games they won or lost.  It matters how many goals each guy gives up and Brodeur gives up more per game and more per shot on goal against.  He's a worse goalie.  He'd be a worse goalie if the Devils won all of their games with him in net or none.  He was a worse goalie to begin the year and he's a worse goalie now.

Thats a very, very good argument about Brodeur being a worse goalie. I mean, I never said Marty was better or anything, but still. YOU said he cost the Devils points, and I pointed out, once again, that they got more points in his games then Schneider's. I never said he was better and I don't know why you keep claiming I did. I just said they happened to get more with him and that the argument that he would be the sole reason the Devils miss the playoffs wasn't very accurate. It's just scapegoating a lot of problems onto one guy. And then you turned into some whole other argument. 

Thats a very, very good argument about Brodeur being a worse goalie. I mean, I never said Marty was better or anything, but still. YOU said he cost the Devils points, and I pointed out, once again, that they got more points in his games then Schneider's. I never said he was better and I don't know why you keep claiming I did. I just said they happened to get more with him and that the argument that he would be the sole reason the Devils miss the playoffs wasn't very accurate. It's just scapegoating a lot of problems onto one guy. And then you turned into some whole other argument. 

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall that has the ability to write, somehow.  HE COST THE DEVILS POINTS.  IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT THEY GOT MORE POINTS WITH HIM, HE COST THEM POINTS BECAUSE THE TEAM SCORES WAY WAY MORE WHEN HE IS NET, WHICH IS LUCK AND NOT BECAUSE OF ANYTHING THAT HE IS DOING.  THE POINTS HE COST THE TEAM ARE BECAUSE HE STILL PLAYS WORSE THAN SCHNEIDER

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall that has the ability to write, somehow.  HE COST THE DEVILS POINTS.  IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT THEY GOT MORE POINTS WITH HIM, HE COST THEM POINTS BECAUSE THE TEAM SCORES WAY WAY MORE WHEN HE IS NET, WHICH IS LUCK AND NOT BECAUSE OF ANYTHING THAT HE IS DOING.  THE POINTS HE COST THE TEAM ARE BECAUSE HE STILL PLAYS WORSE THAN SCHNEIDER

This is the prospect thread, so I'm going to let it go. But I will point out again, if you're done with your little hissy fit, that I always said Cory was better, and that the team was still gaining points in spite of Marty's play. That's it. The whole 'who is better' or 'why they are scoring for one guy' thing is all from you. Sometimes people will disagree with you. There's really no reason to flip out over it. 

• Like 1

Every marty apologist is that dense, it is like talking to a brick wall.

Friday 1/24
OHL
Windsor defeated Sault Ste. Marie 5-2
Ben Johnson LW: Goal, E* 1st Star

-- 1st goal after a 6 game drought.

WHL
Swift Current lost to Prince Albert 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Goal, Assist, +2, Stopped in SO

Kelowna defeated Medicine Hat 6-2
Damon Severson D: Assist, +3
Myles Bell RW: Goal, Assist, +1

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Ohio State 5-3
Joe Faust D: Goal, +2, 2 PIM (Slashing), 1 Shot
Curtis Gedig D: DNP (Injured)

North Dakota defeated Denver 4-2
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 2 PIM (Slashing), 2 Shots

Miami lost to Colorado College 4-1
Blake Coleman C: DNP (Collarbone Injury)

Michigan Tech defeated Ferris State 3-2
Blake Pietila LW: 3 Assists (1 PP), +1, 4 PIM (Slashing, Hooking), 2 Shots, 14/17 Faceoffs

Harvard lost to Union 4-3
Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, -1, 1 Shot, 4/4 Faceoffs

Saturday 1/25
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Atlant Moscow Oblast 7-1
Artur Gavrus F: DNP (Fever)

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Blainville-Boisbriand 3-2 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
North Bay vs. Barrie - Postponed (Weather)
Ben Thomson LW: DNP

WHL
Swift Current lost to Saskatoon 3-2 (OT)
Graham Black C: Assist, E

-- 2 goals, 4 assists in last 4 games.

Kelowna defeated Lethbridge 5-0
Damon Severson D: +2
Myles Bell RW: Goal, Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Holding)* 3rd Star

-- Bell has 2 goals, 2 assists in his last 2 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin lost to Ohio State 3-1
Joe Faust D: -2, 2 Blocks

North Dakota lost to Denver 3-0
Derek Rodwell RW: -1, 2 PIM (Roughing), 2 Shots

Miami defeated Colorado College 6-1
Blake Coleman C: DNP (Collarbone Injury)

Michigan Tech lost to Ferris State 3-0
Blake Pietila F: E, 2 PIM (Elbowing), 3 Shots, 16/24 Faceoffs

Boston College defeated Penn State 3-2
Steve Santini D: +1, 6 Blocks

Sunday 1/26
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Shawinigan 4-3
Season: 23 GP 10-11-0, 3.06 GAA, .885 SV%, 1 SO

OHL
Windsor defeated Sarnia 8-7 (SO)
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Assists, +1
Season: 39 GP 18-13-31, +14, 18 PIM

North Bay defeated Peterborough 3-1
Ben Thomson LW: +1
Season: 35 GP 15-11-26, +6, 66 PIM

Kingston defeated Belleville 6-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Injured)
Season: 35 GP 16-13-29, E, 27 PIM

-- Kujawinski didn't practice after taking a tumble into the boards in his last game. I feel like this is at least the 4th or 5th blowout Kingston has had without him in the line up.

WHL
Kelowna lost to Seattle 4-1
Damon Severson D: -1
Season: 42 GP 11-27-38, +29, 30 PIM

Myles Bell RW: E
Season: 47 GP 29-23-52, +21, 38 PIM

Monday 1/27
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to SKA St. Petersburg 3-2
Artur Gavrus F: DNP (Sick?)

Wednesday 1/29
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 3-1
Artur Gavrus: DNP (Sick?)
Season: 28 GP 1-2-3, -9, 8 PIM, 2.9 SH%, 1.2 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 11:38 ATOI

-- Due to the Olympic break, Dinamo Minsk doesn't play again until 2/26. I guess Gavrus will play for Dinamo-Shinnik in the MHL during that time or stay with Minsk for training and exhibitions.

QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Acadie-Bathurst 6-2
Season: 23 GP 10-11-0, 3.06 GAA, .885 SV%, 1 SO

WHL
Kelowna lost to Spokane 6-5 (SO)
Damon Severson D: Goal, 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, Stopped in SO* 2nd Star
Season: 43 GP 12-29-41, +30, 30 PIM

Myles Bell RW: E, Stopped in SO
Season: 48 GP 29-23-52, +21, 38 PIM

Thursday 1/30
OHL
Windsor defeated Kingston 4-0
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Assists, +2, 2 PIM (Holding the Stick)
Season: 40 GP 18-15-33, +16, 20 PIM

-- Johnson has a goal and 4 assists in his last 3 games.

Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Wrist)
Season: 35 GP 16-13-29, E, 27 PIM

North Bay lost to London 9-4
Ben Thomson LW: 2 Goals, -1* 3rd Star
Season: 36 GP 17-11-28, +5, 66 PIM

Gavrus Update: During the KHL Olympic break, Gavrus will be playing for Belarus in the Euro Ice Hockey Challenge in Poland. Training camp opens February 1st. (Credit to In Lou We Trust for finding this)

Program Note: Wisconsin (Faust) vs. Michigan tomorrow night at 6:30 on Big Ten Network.

Friday 1/31
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Drummondville 6-5 (SO)

OHL
North Bay defeated Oshawa 5-1
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (PP), Assist, +1* 1st Star

-- Thomson has a 7 game point streak: 8 goals, 3 assists. For January he has 10 goals, 5 assists in 12 games.

Kingston defeated Plymouth 3-2

WHL
Swift Current defeated Medicine Hat 4-3
Graham Black C: 3 Goals, +3* 1st Star

-- Black has a 5 game point streak: 5 goals, 4 assists. Finishes January with 9 goals, 8 assists in 12 games.

Kelowna defeated Kamloops 4-2
Damon Severson D: E
Myles Bell RW: 2 Goals (1 PP), Assist (PP), E

-- Bell has 31 goals in 49 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin lost to Michigan 3-1
Joe Faust D: -2, 2 Shots, 2 Blocks

-- Got worked over by Hyman (Michigan) on top of the crease for Michigan's 3rd goal. With the defensive depth in the organization, I can't see Faust getting a contract of any sort with the Devils organization. Hasn't progressed in 4 years at school.

Ohio State defeated Penn State 5-1

Michigan Tech defeated Bowling Green 5-2
Blake Pietila F: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Roughing), 2 Shots, 8/14 Faceoffs

Boston College defeated Providence 2-0
Steve Santini D: Assist, +1, 1 Block

Harvard defeated Princeton 3-2
Alex Kerfoot F: Goal, +1, 5 Shots, 2/2 Faceoffs* 2nd Star

-- Kerfoot has 2 goals and an assist in his last 3 games. 6 goals and 5 assists in 17 games this season.

Program Note: Wisconsin (Faust) vs. Michigan Saturday night at 6:30 on NBCSN.

Saturday 2/1
OHL
Windsor defeated Guelph 3-1
Ben Johnson LW: Goal, +1* 2nd Star

-- Johnson has 2 goals, 4 assists in his last 4 games.

Kingston lost to Saginaw 4-2

WHL
Swift Current lost to Prince George 6-2
Graham Black C: -2

Kelowna defeated Kamloops 7-3
Damon Severson D: Assist, E
Myles Bell RW: 4 Goals (1 PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), +3* 1st Star

-- Bell has 35 goals in 50 games this season after having 38 goals in 69 games last season. Bell has 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 2 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin tied Michigan 2-2
Joe Faust D: Assist, +1, 1 Block

Ohio State defeated Penn State 5-2

Michigan Tech defeated Bowling Green 5-4 (OT)
Blake Pietila F: Goal (PP, GWG), Assist (PP), E, 4 Shots, 9/17 Faceoffs* 3rd Star

-- Pietila has a goal, 5 assists in his last 4 games.

Sunday 2/2

OHL

North Bay defeated Sault Ste. Marie 2-1

Ben Thomson LW: E, 2 PIM (Hooking)

Season: 38 GP 18-13-31, +6, 68 PIM

Ever wonder if this guy becomes a dark horse. not sure what line (role) he plays on this team.  His numbers suggest he's more than just a goon? He's a big boy. 

Ever wonder if this guy becomes a dark horse. not sure what line (role) he plays on this team.  His numbers suggest he's more than just a goon? He's a big boy. 

I don't know what type of role he had in Kitchener vs. North Bay but if I had to guess, it appears he went from being a 3rd liner in Kitchener to a top 6 guy in North Bay that gets PP time and plays with better players. I am happy to see him scoring now though since he's an overager.

North Bay: 26 GP 15-10-25, +11, 34 PIM - NB is 3rd in the Eastern Conference.

Kitchener: 12 GP 3-3-6, -5, 34 PIM - KIT is 9th in the Western Conference.

He stuck around late into Albany Devils camp so I get the impression the Devils like him. 6'4, 220 so he's a big body that should be able to help them next year.

Monday 2/3
NCAA - 62nd Beanpot Semifinals
Boston College defeated Boston University 3-1
Steve Santini D: +1, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks
Season: 22 GP 2-6-8, +21, 36 PIM, 10.0 SH%, 0.91 SH/GP

Harvard lost to Northeastern 6-0
Alex Kerfoot F: E, 4 PIM (Hooking, Hodling), 1 Shot, 3/7 Faceoffs
Season: 18 GP 6-5-11, +3, 6 PIM, 16.66 SH%, 1.66 SH/GP

-- Northeastern junior G Clay Witt is 14-6-2 with a 1.94 GAA, .945 SV%, and 4 SO. He's 6'2, 200 lbs, 22 years old out of Brandon, Florida. He only played 1 game for Northeastern last year and just 7 and 8 games respectively in his first 2 years. Could be an interesting late bloomer from a non-traditional hockey market as a UDFA.

Doesn't the bean pot kinda signal the end of the season for college hockey for the most part?  Wonders if devs are eyeballing any "pearls" in a bushel of oysters? Do you remember the likely timeframe the give college guys a PTO?

Doesn't the bean pot kinda signal the end of the season for college hockey for the most part?  Wonders if devs are eyeballing any "pearls" in a bushel of oysters? Do you remember the likely timeframe the give college guys a PTO?

We're quickly approaching the end of the regular season. Conference tournaments start in mid-March and the NCAA tournament goes from late March to to mid-April. Of course a fair amount of guys will have their seasons end next month and start to get pro offers.

NCAA FA Skaters Leaderboard (excluding Freshman)

NCAA FA G Leaderboard (excluding Freshman)

I don't know if this has ever been brought up, but I read somewhere that the youngest Zajac is as good as Travis, if not better (but he's a defenseman). He also apparently hasn't been drafted. Was the talk of him being the best of the four just bullsh!t? Anyone have any idea?

I don't know if this has ever been brought up, but I read somewhere that the youngest Zajac is as good as Travis, if not better (but he's a defenseman). He also apparently hasn't been drafted. Was the talk of him being the best of the four just bullsh!t? Anyone have any idea?

If the youngest was as good or better than a mid first rounder, don't you believe he would have been drafted? Of course Nolan is nowhere near Travis. He is worth a pro contract however.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac