GDT 6: Devils @ Jets

NJDEVS1730

Maybe now certain people will realize there's a problem here since we couldn't have POSSIBLY won CORSI or Fenwick tonight.

Well, not EXACTLY the same game. They didn't blow a multi-goal lead tonight. But you have to score in order to do that.

Well it's certainly one of two games...either blowing a huge lead or making some s***ty backup look good.  In Edmonton we managed to do both at the same time.

Once Tri pops in to tell us all that what we're all seeing isn't really happening, the thread will be complete.

I do remain hopeful, but man it's getting to be difficult.

Maybe now certain people will realize there's a problem here since we couldn't have POSSIBLY won CORSI or Fenwick tonight.

Well it's certainly one of two games...either blowing a huge lead or making some s***ty backup look good.  In Edmonton we managed to do both at the same time.

That was a common theme last year, but I don`t think this year. The Devils were dominating play last season and getting terrible goaltending. That isn`t the case so far this season. 

1st post. This is only six games. 7% of the season - calm down and keep the faith, not necessarily because Deboer is a great coach or our roster is stanley cup caliber, but because the one person in this organization who I have learned to never doubt is Lou. He will not accept a pitiful season and will do something before its too late (He's learned from MacLean).

We have a score by comittee roster and its frustrating when none of the committee produces, but unlike last season they have shown they can put it in the net. Once everything starts to fire (couch powerplay cough) at the same time, this team will start running off wins.

tl;dr: Lou will not accept losing, the Metro division sucks, and Schneider is good enough to steal games.

Welcome to the boards.

Been shutout twice already.  I'd be lying if I said Zajac and Henrique didn't concern me.  They do. 

Welcome to the boards.

Been shutout twice already.  I'd be lying if I said Zajac and Henrique didn't concern me.  They do. 

I didn`t like either contract that was given out. Both plays heavily benefited from their linemates, and both contracts were given after it was known that neither of those linemates would be there anymore to play with them. I question if either are 50 point players with anyone on this roster.

Not sure if Henrique got a bigger contract for some big goals he scored in the 2012 playoffs, but if that is the case, it`s silly. 

GMs are going to miss in free agency, It happens all the time, but you will destroy a team if you can`t properly evaluate players internally. I think Lou has really struggled with both these players. 

Welcome to the boards.

Whether we get shutout or lose a game 5-4 (Edmonton) doesn't matter to me. I still have more confidence in this offense than I did late last year. If Pete (or a replacement) can slap some sense in the team when they're in their own zone we will see wins.

The frustrating thing is we made such a big deal about shot differential last season but so far thats been missing this year.

I didn`t like either contract that was given out. Both plays heavily benefited from their linemates, and both contracts were given after it was known that neither of those linemates would be there anymore to play with them. I question if either are 50 point players with anyone on this roster.

Not sure if Henrique got a bigger contract for some big goals he scored in the 2012 playoffs, but if that is the case, it`s silly. 

GMs are going to miss in free agency, It happens all the time, but you will destroy a team if you can`t properly evaluate players internally. I think Lou has really struggled with both these players. 

The Henrique one was the one that surprised me.  Zajac I kind of understood at the time (Lou trying to be proactive), but it still felt very risky to me. 

Schneider prooved us he is solid, he should e the goalie of the future no sweat. It's just a matter of how we pull the rest of the way off.

Assuming he resigns here. He's an impending UFA, not RFA, after this contract correct?

Negative post, I know. But it's valid to note that we all shouldn't simply assume he's absolutely going to stick around.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Schneider prooved us he is solid, he should e the goalie of the future no sweat. It's just a matter of how we pull the rest of the way off.

Schneider is the least of our worries...for right now, anyway. 

Plenty of other guys to worry about. 

I don't know what's more disconcerting, the quality of play tonight or the difference in tone between Schneider's postgame interview and Salvador's postgame interview. Sal's clearly not the right leader for the team. And after a game like tonight, where guys like Schneider and Jagr are the only ones who show up, I don't even know who is anymore....

I am usually the most optimistic one here but this is bad...so bad. I mean watching Volchenkov and Harrold out there while Fayne is in the box is absolutely ridiculous. Watching Stephen Gionta acting like he is an NHL regular is pathetic while guys like Josefson are sitting. The defensive system is broken ever since Larry left, the offense has no creativity whatsoever, and Zajac and Henrique are not the answers to this team. We need some sort of shake up and it needs to happen now. Gelinas has to be in the lineup, make some sort of trade, get these players to start fighting for their jobs. No more playing favorites, play the best possible lineup night in and night out but seeing Deboer picking favorites is the sketchiest thing I saw a coach do since the Maclean year. This is bad, but I can only hope eveything starts to click and they magically start rolling.

I mean it is a HUGE problem that Jagr is showing more heart and detemrination than our core players.

Edited by Zubie#8

I am usually the most optimistic one here but this is bad...so bad. I mean watching Volchenkov and Harrold out there while Fayne is in the box is absolutely ridiculous. Watching Stephen Gionta acting like he is an NHL regular is pathethic while guys like Josefson are sitting. The defensive system is broken ever since Larry left, the offense has no creativity whatsoever, and Zajac and Henrique are not the answers to this team. We need some sort of shake up and it needs to happen now. Gelinas has to be in the lineup, make some sort of trade, get these players to start fighting for their jobs. No more playing favorites, play the best possible lineup night in and night out but seeing Deboer picking favorites is the sketchiest thing I saw a coach do since the Maclean year. This is bad, but I can only hope eveyhing starts to click and they magically start rolling.

I agree 100%. First off, sit Harrold and bring in Fayne. Second, send Gionta down and use the spot to bring up a Merrill or Gelinas. Sit Volchenkov one night and put in Merrill; or sit Zidlicky one night and put in Gelinas, etc.

These veterans are so fvcking comfortable with their jobs, there's no compete level, there's no accountability. They know they're getting paid and DeBoer's not going to say sh!t. It'll do a lot for the kids (like Josefson, Henrique, Tedenby, Larsson) on the team for their confidence if they see the coach enacting the same standard on the whole group. I don't think guys like Elias, Jagr, etc. will mind that some veterans got benched, and their jobs aren't in jeopardy anyway.

fvck, if it doesn't work, at least you tried, and you're still no worse off than this stretch of 6 games without a win.

Edited by DJ Eco

I am usually the most optimistic one here but this is bad...so bad. I mean watching Volchenkov and Harrold out there while Fayne is in the box is absolutely ridiculous. Watching Stephen Gionta acting like he is an NHL regular is pathetic while guys like Josefson are sitting. The defensive system is broken ever since Larry left, the offense has no creativity whatsoever, and Zajac and Henrique are not the answers to this team. We need some sort of shake up and it needs to happen now. Gelinas has to be in the lineup, make some sort of trade, get these players to start fighting for their jobs. No more playing favorites, play the best possible lineup night in and night out but seeing Deboer picking favorites is the sketchiest thing I saw a coach do since the Maclean year. This is bad, but I can only hope eveything starts to click and they magically start rolling.

I mean it is a HUGE problem that Jagr is showing more heart and detemrination than our core players.

Our core players have always had a problem with inconsistent "heart". Kovalchuk and Parise were big plusses in that department

I cant believe I'm a fan of the worst team in the league.

This team was built around Kovalchuk, obviously which is why they haven't won a game since he left with an injury vs. Florida last year.

Kovalchuk leaving caught the team off guard so it seems as if its going to take at least a year to find a new identity.

Right now this team has no identity. 

I swear there are college teams more organized on the ice than this team.

They are an absolute embarrassment.

If you turn on any other hockey game you won't see a team so slow and sloppy.

It's almost surprising that they aren't losing the way the Rangers are, that might have a lot to do with Schnieder.

I think we keep playing Schneider. He gives us our best chance to get 2 points in a game for once. 

I hope he can at least give this team a chance to rebuild. 

A side note: I feel like Jagr wont take much more of this. He'll probably fake an injury soon if it continues like this the rest of the year. He doesnt want to go out looking like a complete loser. 

Edited by BigZ

I haven't posted in a while. Here is my take on the situation: 

The Devils have always been the team that isn't supposed to go far. They are always projected to be in the bottom of the standings cause they have washed up players, or they're getting old, or Marty isn't the same or blah blah blah. Look at it this way, we took that to heart.  Looking at this team we are starting realizing we have old, slow, awful defenseman (sal, volch) and a penalty machine in Zid combined with the always "ok" harrold and the constant mystery of Adam Larsson, not to mention the old, average, non-playmaking forwards we have combined with the young, under-performing small forwards we have that never seem to show up. Now, back to the fact that we are always projected to be sh!t. We are. It always happens and we always overperform.  But the writing has been on the wall the past 3 years. Yes, we made it to the finals 2 years ago, i know, but it was a great run and it is starting to feel like its holding this team's future back. We are clinging on to our past too long. We cling on to the fact that "we will be ok because we are the Devils and no matter what anyone projects us or says about us, we will make the playoffs." But we haven't. We didn't last season and maybe it was the short season, but we weren't concerned very much. Now this season starts and we are all pumped up even though we just lost two key guys in clarkie and kovy and replaced them with a bunch of guys who have good track records, but it obviously isn't meshing right now and it isn't pretty. OUR DEFENSE IS HORRID. We need to use this season as a learning curve. Realize we aren't invincible. Try out our young guys and bring in some excitement. Have a fire sale with these old guys like volch and sal. Bring in new coaches, especially get stevens out. He obviously isn't working out.  We can do so much to have some good things happen this season. Play Josefson, Olesz, Fayne and Gelinas. The kids are faster, younger, and hungrier. They get mad and play with heart. I know josefson does. I love him for that. We don't have that right now. Deboer has jokes at practice and his job is too safe. It's unbearable to watch these sh!t games and wonder what the fuvk is going on. I might be overreacting here, but i'm just fed up. I'm fine if we tank this season because I believe in the philosophy that you have to hit rock bottom to make it all the way to the top. The reason why the Devils have been good for so long is that we had legends for a bunch of years. Our teams were stacked cause we've been excellent at drafting and just retool the 3rd and 4th lines each year to get back to being good. But this year we have 2 2nd lines and 2 4th lines. We cannot win like this. It's a patchwork team that has no future, not to mention we won't be able to get a good pick this year cause of Kovalchuk. Im done for a while. I watched the first period of tonights game and just switched to the cowboys game. The game was still tied at the end of the 1st, but i saw nothing in their play that told me they were gonna win this game. Alas, I watch the highlights after and i was right. Our powerplay is sad. Schneider bails us out on every fuvkin breakaway and we are just slow as f. I see nothing that gives me excitement about this team this season. They don't give me the feeling that other Devils teams have given me. This sucks and I can't take it anymore. 

When they start trying to play hockey again and play with some passion, mine will come back.