My thoughts On Trading Marty

cgb6397

In fifteen years such myopic issues will not matter. Brodeur's career will be looked at in the big picture, and all those little moments will be forgotten by all but those few who lived it (such as those on this board). Football fans, new and old, do not remember Joe Montana as anything but a legendary Niner, (his stint with the Chiefs is nearly irrelevant). Not wanting Brodeur to leave is more of human obsessiveness and sentimentality in play. I myself am guilty of that insofar as I don't want to see Marty in another jersey - an issue that only has affect in the short term, or 'the now'. That kind of personal emotion is not enough to outweigh my logical mind, that says that Brodeur is better off leaving; as we will forget about this in a few years and Marty (who's life this involves) will be able to forever know that he played until they didn't let him. 

Sure if Marty went to the Rangers that would be different. But that's the whole point, Marty wouldn't go to the Rangers. Never. He'll always be a Devil no matter what. He has already played more games as a Devil than any other goalie has played in their whole career. He can spare a few extra games in Minnesota. In the end, me and all of you will only be slightly bothered if Marty leaves (i.e. we will still go to school, work, laugh, smile, cry, etc...). For Marty, this is his life and this decision affects only him. I'm okay with whatever he chooses.

Edited by Neb00rs

My feelings are this:

- He has been  a part of a very special group that took the Devils to magical places and helped lift the franchise to a winning history. He will never be forgotten nor will his accomplishments, the joy, and the memories. He will always hold a special place in Devils' organisation and fans' hearts.

- My issue is this: So close to the end of the season (and subsequently contract), it would be much easier to ride out of the sunset, be humble, and retire at the end of the season or sign somewhere else.

However, the organisation put the team first, acquired a new, younger, better goalie, as it does not take a genius to see Brodeur is fast approaching the end of the career, and without a great goalie, the team would be seriously diminished. We have been witness to the team putting Brodeur first on many occasions due to his stature and accomplishments, and I believe that by being put on the bench, Brodeur has taken it personally, and thus requested a trade, and leading up to this point, all the passive aggressive comments to media.

Selfish is the word that comes to mind. People seem to hate on Parise especially, because he acted on his freedom of UFA and signed somewhere else. Clarkson signed somewhere else during UFA too. This I don't have issue with nor hate the players.

I have issues with people like Kovalchuk who upped and left only a couple of years in to a long contract. Now Brodeur can not put the team first and is requesting a trade. To me, Brodeur is acting like a spoilt little child who is throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting their own way. It screams egotistical to me. It's a shame because of what he has meant to the organisation all these years. That's desertion and to me, I can't appreciate that at all.

It's not just how you come in, it's also how you leave, because that's the most recent memory of you that a person will remember. It's quite possible that Brodeur could leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.

I wouldn't have guessed Richter was #2 in the whole most games only played with one team.  And freaking Lundqvist is #4 lol...Ryan Miller was #5 but that's done with now.

I didn't realize Kolzig played anywhere else till I clicked his link...eight forgettable games with Tampa toward the end.  That's what Marty's end may look like too.

Tony Esposito played 873 games with the Blackhawks, after playing 13 games with the Canadiens when he first came up...even though he didn't play all of his games with one team, the 873 games ranks second in goalie games-played for a franchise.  Esposito is also second in goalie wins for a franchise (418).  Still illustrates nicely how amazing an accomplishment 1249 games with one team truly is...especially in this era, where we saw Hasek, Roy, and Belfour all play for multiple teams.  Cujo was one of those guys who managed to be pretty good for a long time (a compiler), but he never screamed "greatness" to me. 

With the length of his current contract and his numbers to date, Lundqvist is probably the only guy right now who has a shot at 500 wins and 1000 GP with one team...and as we all know, that can change very quickly. 

My feelings are this:

- He has been  a part of a very special group that took the Devils to magical places and helped lift the franchise to a winning history. He will never be forgotten nor will his accomplishments, the joy, and the memories. He will always hold a special place in Devils' organisation and fans' hearts.

- My issue is this: So close to the end of the season (and subsequently contract), it would be much easier to ride out of the sunset, be humble, and retire at the end of the season or sign somewhere else.

However, the organisation put the team first, acquired a new, younger, better goalie, as it does not take a genius to see Brodeur is fast approaching the end of the career, and without a great goalie, the team would be seriously diminished. We have been witness to the team putting Brodeur first on many occasions due to his stature and accomplishments, and I believe that by being put on the bench, Brodeur has taken it personally, and thus requested a trade, and leading up to this point, all the passive aggressive comments to media.

Selfish is the word that comes to mind. People seem to hate on Parise especially, because he acted on his freedom of UFA and signed somewhere else. Clarkson signed somewhere else during UFA too. This I don't have issue with nor hate the players.

I have issues with people like Kovalchuk who upped and left only a couple of years in to a long contract. Now Brodeur can not put the team first and is requesting a trade. To me, Brodeur is acting like a spoilt little child who is throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting their own way. It screams egotistical to me. It's a shame because of what he has meant to the organisation all these years. That's desertion and to me, I can't appreciate that at all.

It's not just how you come in, it's also how you leave, because that's the most recent memory of you that a person will remember. It's quite possible that Brodeur could leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.

You said it in your own post though, the Devils did what was best for them by acquiring Cory.  Marty's now doing what's best for him by asking for a trade, so I can't blame him for that any more than I can blame Lou for trading for Cory, though I do wish Marty'd kept quiet a bit more publicly.  Granted, I don't know what he'll really gain by switching backup roles but if he wants to play next year (which he obviously does) I suppose he wants every game he can get.

If he wasn't planning on playing next year I don't think there'd be this big to-do back and forth about him needing more playing time and having to be traded.

You said it in your own post though, the Devils did what was best for them by acquiring Cory.  Marty's now doing what's best for him by asking for a trade, so I can't blame him for that any more than I can blame Lou for trading for Cory, though I do wish Marty'd kept quiet a bit more publicly.  Granted, I don't know what he'll really gain by switching backup roles but if he wants to play next year (which he obviously does) I suppose he wants every game he can get.

If he wasn't planning on playing next year I don't think there'd be this big to-do back and forth about him needing more playing time and having to be traded.

I think he knows he has no spot here next year and would like to go into the off season with a team that may re-sign him than go into free agency without knowing anything. 

At least it will be over quickly with the pain of seeing him in another uniform.  We won't have to wait until the end of April or anything like that.

I don't want it to ever happen, even if he gets traded.  I suppose it will at some point if he's set on playing next year, but I'd rather put it off till then.  Especially since I can't get out of going to the Minnesota game later this month...I'd rather not be at the game or even watch it where he shows up in another uniform.

In fairness, he's only ever really commented on his status when he's been asked.  For the most part, he's kept pretty quiet about it.  I think he's handled it as well as can be expected for a guy who clearly doesn't think of himself as a backup and still thinks he can be a consistently effective #1 (even if he's wrong about the last part). 

the guy has a fvcking 100 foot painting of himself on the concourse. i'm pretty sure he'll be remembered as nothing but a devil regardless of where he might finish this season and if he plays somewhere else next year

This, pretty much. I have zero problem with him playing the rest of the season (or the next one) in a different jersey. 

Nobody remembers Willie Mays played for the Mets....

I love Marty as much as anybody.  He wants to go.  It's the right thing to do.

It's not, because he's washed up, or close to it. People don't remember Willie Mays as a Met; they remember him as a Giant. Plenty of people do remember Willie being bad for the Mets. If Marty was as good as Joe Montana was, I would support his leaving. He's not. Marty shouldn't play next year, for us or anyone. He has the right to do what he wants, and I'll feel no bitterness toward him for leaving, but for his own sake, he should play out the stretch with the Devils and retire at the end of the season.

It's not, because he's washed up, or close to it. People don't remember Willie Mays as a Met; they remember him as a Giant. Plenty of people do remember Willie being bad for the Mets. If Marty was as good as Joe Montana was, I would support his leaving. He's not. Marty shouldn't play next year, for us or anyone. He has the right to do what he wants, and I'll feel no bitterness toward him for leaving, but for his own sake, he should play out the stretch with the Devils and retire at the end of the season.

Marty doesn't believe that he is washed up.  There is no reason to let all the good times get ugly by slapping him around and telling him how much he sucks now.  Just give the guy what he wants...  It'll save the Devils money and save their relationship with him.  Let him go to Minnesota where he can hang out with his kids and finish up the season. He'll be back in a leadership position soon enough.

Marty doesn't believe that he is washed up.  There is no reason to let all the good times get ugly by slapping him around and telling him how much he sucks now.  Just give the guy what he wants...  It'll save the Devils money and save their relationship with him.  Let him go to Minnesota where he can hang out with his kids and finish up the season. He'll be back in a leadership position soon enough.

I'm not saying the Devils shouldn't trade him, if that's what he wants. I'm just hoping no trade materializes, especially since no good can come out of him playing another season. I think if he doesn't get traded, no one signs him, and he eventually comes to terms with the fact that he's finished. Giving him another year won't change the inevitability of that. 

Edited by mouse

I'm not saying the Devils shouldn't trade him, if that's what he wants. I'm just hoping no trade materializes, especially since no good can come out of him playing another season. I think if he doesn't get traded, no one signs him, and he eventually comes to terms with the fact that he's finished. Giving him another year won't change the inevitability of that. 

I think he has his eye on 700 wins and that is the big driving force behind this.  I definitely thinking he's playing next year.  Someone will sign him for sure.

I blame it all on Jagr.  Coming here and playing so well that #30 says "why can't I do the same?"  

I guess Brodeur wants to play this year so he can get signed for next season. Ok, I get it 

I just wish he would finish the contract he signed, and had told the press the same.  

Then any deal still would've happened, or if not,  then he can still sign anywhere once he's done here on April 14.

It's obvious he'll play next year, as someone will promise him something that sounds close enough to what he wants to hear.

Whether or not that promise actually pans out will have to be seen.

I see nothing that points to Brodeur going out gracefully with the Devils at the end of this season, nor over the summer.

All of the celebrating for fans will have to come at some future Marty Brodeur Night  a few years down the road.

I also hope the LL sees Marty as the best athlete for the Devs needs in a backup needed 4-5 times more this season.

The team knows MB, and MB knows the team and its system

Sure a new keeper will get some practice in, but with the compressed schedule I think there is less practicing

So I hope there is no goalie-goalie trade, as I think that keeping MB is the best for the Devs.