84 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I hadn't thought about the Jets, which would be a good idea for both sides.

Smith also has above-average mobility, which you can't say about Sanchez.

Sanchez scored six TD's running last year, he has enough mobility, which is another reason why the Tebow red zone offense was ill-conceived.

Thing is the Jets always got scared to death about him taking hits out of the pocket (I think they even had Joe Girardi or one of the Yankees teaching him how to slide his rookie year lol) and have pretty much chained him there as a pocket passer other than the occasional designed bootleg.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I hadn't thought about the Jets, which would be a good idea for both sides.

Smith also has above-average mobility, which you can't say about Sanchez.

Sanchez is mobile...I mean he's no Steve Young. His issue is having no pocket presence...if he had more of an idea what was going on around him he could use his legs to buy more time.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#63 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Sanchez is mobile...I mean he's no Steve Young. His issue is having no pocket presence...if he had more of an idea what was going on around him he could use his legs to buy more time.

Sanchez can't bust out a twenty to thirty yard run like Smith can.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#64 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'd take Alex Smith on the Jets in a heartbeat. If we re-establish that running game/D style team we had in 09/10 then Alex Smith will be the perfect mistake free caretaker Qb that we need.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, that Smith could be a good fit for the Jets. I didn't mention it because I think the Jets are going to give Tebow the first crack as the starting QB if they bail on Sanchez, no matter what. They'd be wrong to do it, and if Smith becomes available, they should really re-think their stupid fascination with Tebow. At any rate, I have a feeling Smith would get a shot to start for another team before Sanchez would...at the very least, I think a team looking for a starting QB would take Smith over Sanchez.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#65 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Smith is guaranteed eight million next year and Kapernick is still on his entry deal....this won't happen this season or next regardless of results.....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Smith is guaranteed eight million next year and Kapernick is still on his entry deal....this won't happen this season or next regardless of results.....

This season: definitely not, though it seems like everyone in SF wants Kap to take the job and run with it, which may mean Smith may never get his job back (raw deal for him, but it happens...just ask Drew Bledsoe).

Next season, if Kap already has the job...I don't see how/why they hang onto Smith...he's not a David Carr, failed starter-type hoping to catch on somewhere as a backup so he can stay in the league. Even if SF isn't in his corner, he's had some success, and as we saw with Matt Cassel and others, some success is all you need to get QB-starved teams to bite.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 November 2012 - 05:42 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

This season: definitely not, though it seems like everyone in SF wants Kap to take the job and run with it, which may mean Smith may never get his job back (raw deal for him, but it happens...just ask Drew Bledsoe).

Next season, if Kap already has the job...I don't see how/why they hang onto Smith...he's not a David Carr, failed starter-type hoping to catch on somewhere as a backup so he can stay in the league. Even if SF isn't in his corner, he's had some success, and as we saw with Matt Cassel and others, some success is all you need to get QB-starved teams to bite.

Most of the time that's a salary cap thing....having a capable NFL backup is GOLD in this league ask Chicago, KC, Phily and Pittsburgh (twice :P)
If they can afford to keep both they'd be pretty foolish to go all in on just one of them though.....

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#68 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Alex Smith would not bring anything new to the table. Smith would inherit the same problems that Sanchez already has: No running game, no WR's, and mediocre OL. Smith success has a lot to do with having teams key on Frank Gore. You won't get that with the Jets.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#69 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Alex Smith would not bring anything new to the table. Smith would inherit the same problems that Sanchez already has: No running game, no WR's, and mediocre OL. Smith success has a lot to do with having teams key on Frank Gore. You won't get that with the Jets.

This is a crazy assumption that the Jets will make no changes in the off-season. Which they will. Whoever is quarterbacking the Jets is already getting Holmes back, which is a big upgrade

Smith is just a flat out better decision maker. I can't see him throwing the idiotic pick that we saw on the goal line in Seattle....or the one in the endzone in Miami. Those are ALL on Sanchez

Edited by '7', 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#70 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Most of the time that's a salary cap thing....having a capable NFL backup is GOLD in this league ask Chicago, KC, Phily and Pittsburgh (twice :P)
If they can afford to keep both they'd be pretty foolish to go all in on just one of them though.....

Goes back to what Smith is though. He's not a failed starter, like so many back-ups are. He's shown he can play. He should be a starting QB.

It's funny, I was thinking I have no idea what Ryan Mallett is, if Brady should ever go down, but in ways I think I'd almost prefer that, not knowing. So many backups are Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich types, where you know if they're coming into the game for you, there's simply no chance...they're not any good and never really were. At least with a guy like Mallett, there's a maybe, who knows? feeling, as opposed to knowing for sure that the backup flat-out sucks.

This is a crazy assumption that the Jets will make no changes in the off-season. Which they will. Whoever is quarterbacking the Jets is already getting Holmes back, which is a big upgrade

Smith is just a flat out better decision maker. I can't see him throwing the idiotic pick that we saw on the goal line in Seattle....or the one in the endzone in Miami. Those are ALL on Sanchez

Agree, Jets will not be the same team next season.

#30 FOREVER!

#71 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Why is it crazy?

Last year you had an obvious problem on the offensive line, no running game and you had a WR/Captain who provided turmoil in the lockerroom. What did they do? The traded for a punt protector, who they thought could sell tickets and merchandise to non-football fans. I am sure the plan for next year is to sign Terrell Owens and make a splash on the backpages.

Your assertion about Smith is kind of silly too. Even two years ago he was considered a "bust". He didn't develop until last year (when they had a running game) and even then they waited to see if they could sign anyone better this off-season and the season before. Even now his starting status is being questioned because a rookie QB has the potential to do a better job. He ranks on par with the likes of Kevin Kolb than he does with his draft class brother Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by MantaRay, 21 November 2012 - 10:05 AM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#72 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

If he was acquired by the Jets, Smith could be a lot like Pennington. Probably won't be anything spectacular, but won't throw a lot of picks. It helped some very average Jet teams make the playoffs, and actually got an otherwise crappy Dolphins team a division title.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#73 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Why is it crazy?

Last year you had an obvious problem on the offensive line, no running game and you had a WR/Captain who provided turmoil in the lockerroom. What did they do? The traded for a punt protector, who they thought could sell tickets and merchandise to non-football fans. I am sure the plan for next year is to sign Terrell Owens and make a splash on the backpages.

A lot of good free agent receivers and running backs out there, although I don't know the Jets cap situation. WR free agents include Jennings, Wallace, Bowe. RBs include Felix Jones. I'd love one of these guys on Dolphins.
Posted Image

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Why is it crazy?

Your assertion about Smith is kind of silly too. Even two years ago he was considered a "bust". He didn't develop until last year (when they had a running game) and even then they waited to see if they could sign anyone better this off-season and the season before. Even now his starting status is being questioned because a rookie QB has the potential to do a better job. He ranks on par with the likes of Kevin Kolb than he does with his draft class brother Aaron Rodgers.

C'mon, Kolb has never had a year like Smith's this season and last. Has Kolb ever been the starting QB for a team that reached the NFC finals? No one's saying Smith is an elite QB, but he has shown the ability to be at least accurate and competent the past couple of years. There are teams out there that would happily take that over what they currently have.

I don't know Manta...yes, the Jets have issues, but it seems like you're piling on them lately for the sake of piling on, every chance you get. No, Tebow hasn't worked out for the Jets, and they probably didn't bring him in for the right (on the field) reasons, but do Jet fans need to be reminded of it constantly? I'm guessing they're pretty aware of it by now.

#30 FOREVER!

#75 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Jets in past years have added Tomlinson, Holmes, Edwards, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins etc. All those moves worked and made the Jets a better football club. Now granted you can't stock up every season like that, but traditionally they're not the type to not upgrade the roster.

#76 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

A lot of good free agent receivers and running backs out there, although I don't know the Jets cap situation. WR free agents include Jennings, Wallace, Bowe. RBs include Felix Jones. I'd love one of these guys on Dolphins.

My point was that they could have done the same thing this year, but did not.

So why would there be an expectation they would do it this year, when Ryan boasted after game one this year that this was the best Jets team he ever had to coach. The problem the Jets have is that Satan Holmes has a really bad contract they apparently can't shake.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#77 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

So why would there be an expectation they would do it this year, when Ryan boasted after game one this year that this was the best Jets team he ever had to coach. The problem the Jets have is that Satan Holmes has a really bad contract they apparently can't shake.

Haven't we all learned to ignore Ryan's bluster, notwithstanding whether you believe he's a good or bad coach.

If whoever is in charge of your front office is worth their salt, adjustments are made from season to season based on who's available.

Since I hate the Jets, I hope they don't listen to me, but nothing will improve until Sporano is no longer the O-coordinator.
Posted Image

#78 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

So why would there be an expectation they would do it this year, when Ryan boasted after game one this year that this was the best Jets team he ever had to coach. The problem the Jets have is that Satan Holmes has a really bad contract they apparently can't shake

While I hope he remains the GM for personal reasons, I can't see Tannenbaum being around to rebuild this team. If the knock on the team is "no depth at X" where X is most of the Jets' skill positions, that's all on the GM and his evaluation of his second-line guys. If anyone's head rolls for this team, I'll bet it's Tannenbaum, and then the new GM will probably go out and get some players he can use/restock.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I think Ryan has the makings to be a good head coach, I really do, but he has to stop acting like a coordinator. His problem is he is not evolving...he is starting to become a characiture and a bit of a clown, especially with the blustering. He needs to become Rex 2.0, but it is not happening...all he has to do is tone it down, and let his team play like a winner before yapping away.

#30 FOREVER!

#80 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Good luck with that :rofl:

Jones would be on the injury list and questionable simply from signing his contract :P

I can see Jennings in Miami though.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users