The Official Trade Brian Gionta thread

Triumph

If they change the CBA rules to allow parts of salary to be picked up by the original team, I'd be willing to take a flyer on Havlat. At a Jagr "half-price" deal, he could be a steal, if not, hey, it's not like Zubrus is doing much more.

I think those "half price" deals (ex. Jagr) were only legal before the CBA, and since that is when Jagr signed his deal, that contract along with the Caps picking up half of his salary had to be honored under the new CBA. However, I believe it is illegal to sign players to deals that work in the same way under the current CBA.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hejduk and Murray are the same caliber, excel when playing with good set-up men. Havlat is a fragile player and his salary is a high risk. Maybe Cole would be a good addition, a power forward type with very good speed and could be the one who can create room for skilled players such as Elias and Zubrus.

I think those "half price" deals (ex. Jagr) were only legal before the CBA, and since that is when Jagr signed his deal, that contract along with the Caps picking up half of his salary had to be honored under the new CBA. However, I believe it is illegal to sign players to deals that work in the same way under the current CBA.

They are, but if Brian Burke keeps whining, you might see some changes. I think Havlat will be around for the taking for awhile, people aren't going to knock down the doors for him in the current environment.

I'm glad Tri posted this. I'm so tired of unofficial trade Brian Gionta threads mucking up the works. I'm glad this one is sanctioned. ;)

<JESTER>

PS: While I've soured on Gio a bit too. But Cheechoo is an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in the most incosistent player this side of Steve Thomas.

How much would LA like for someone like Lubomir Visnovsky. The guy is a beast in the new NHL. I think he is a UFA at the end of the season so worth a shot.

lol- He was signed long term

Although his contract extension makes it improbable, how sweet would it be for Doc and Chico to call play-by-play with Vishnovsky and Vishnevsky on the same defensive pairing????? :hah:

Edited by DevilinLA

Why Beetlebum is wiser than Triumph:

(Mattias Ohlund)'s certainly not worth more than gionta, who proved in the playoffs that he's without a doubt a 1st line RW in this league - and who is signed for two more seasons at a very reasonable price.

omg i was wrong, gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal a game in the playoffs, how dare i think he's a vital part of the team

time to hide in shame

Exactly. Gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal per game and now we are giving up on him after half a bad season. We don't give up on Elias after half a bad season and make "Official Trade Threads". Brian certainly needs to make changes to his game, but I'm not going to toss him away for peanuts because of it.

Players don't go from "skilled" to "unskilled" at the snap of one's fingers.

Getting this thread back on track - I'm looking at similar players who've got contracts expiring in 08-09.

Glen Murray (RW) - eh, Glen has 330 career goals (yes, really), but he's a power forward type nearing the end. If somehow Bruins management suffered a stroke and wanted to trade us Milan Lucic and Murray for Gionta..

Erik Cole (RW) - 11 goals so far this year. Carolina's stupid but they are not this stupid. Too bad.

Alex Tanguay (LW) - Tanguay brings the kind of skill set we'd be looking for from the wing - he's a playmaking winger. Still, Tanguay and Zubrus have a somewhat similar skill set, so they'd have to be kept apart - this would make New Jersey's lines inflexible. I don't know if Alex is playing center these days, either.

Martin Havlat (LW, RW) - please. I have loved the idea of this guy since I read about him in THN's draft issue in 1999 and it kills me that Ottawa took him one selection before New Jersey took Ari Ahonen. He is disgustingly talented and is exactly the kind of gamble New Jersey needs to take, considering their less-than-stellar drafts of the last 5 years.

Milan Hedjuk (RW) - Hedjuk is signed for one more year than Gionta, so there'd have to be some extra added. I've never liked Hedjuk, though. Then again I never really liked Gionta.

Jonathan Cheechoo (RW) - Wow, he's signed through 2010/11, I had no idea. But he's been so bad this year that San Jose has to consider selling as high as possible.

And that's about it. Fringe candidates include Pavol Demitra, Brad Richards, and Tony Amonte.

I just cant honestly tell if this is a joke or not.

Gionta has scored more points then everyone on your non "fringe" list except Tanguay (who makes 25% more money) and Hejduk who makes 1/10th of a mil less and has a whopping 3 more points. Gionta isn't tearing up the scoring sheet but he is on pace to finish with 50 points. YOU were the one who said you were be perfectly happy with Elias, our 6mil player scoring 65 points in a season but Gio the 4m scoring 50 is atrocious and must be traded for other players who at best are equally preforming per paycheck?

Havlat might be more gifted then Gio but he cant stay healthy, in 7 years the closest he came to a full season was 73 games (his first), and more importantly over the last 3 seasons he has played 108 games out of about 200. Yea, fat load of good he will do us in half our playoff games. This post is ridiculous.

Exactly. Gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal per game and now we are giving up on him after half a bad season. We don't give up on Elias after half a bad season and make "Official Trade Threads". Brian certainly needs to make changes to his game, but I'm not going to toss him away for peanuts because of it.

Do you really believe Gionta is highly skilled. I think he does have a unique set of skills, one is in tight on the goaltender. He also has a nice grit aspect which seems to have tapered off in the recent years. Gionta would be an excellent addition to a talented team where he can log minutes on a solid PP in front of the net. He would also be great on a team where there is a #1 play making center. SJ would b my first guess, Detroit second. He just doesn't fit the bill on this Devils team nor their team in the near future. He reminds me so much of Oleg Saprykin for Calgary during their cup run just he has a better knack in tight.

OMG I thought this was a Ranger thread at fist with all the crying to trade players. You should be ashamed of yourself. Look how many shootouts Gionta has won for us he is a valued player you don't just threw him out because of a dry streak, if that was the case half the team would be gone.

I like Gionta a lot. I think, point-wise, this is a little closer to, if not slightly lower than, what was expected. I don't see why he's being singled out when the whole team is having a weak offensive year.

Yes, he scored 48 goals a couple of years ago, so he can put the puck in the net. He spent a lot of time hurt last year, and to me, he seems tentative to jump back into his old style. That may be a by-product from his injuries. I still find him valuable. It would be nice if one of the coaches could sit him down with some video tape of him in 2006 and some video of him now (throwing the puck from the blue line, etc) and try to at least figure the situation out. But that is most likely more of an offseason job.

Now for an interesting statistic brought up last night during the game.... When Brian Gionta and Brian Rafalski were both on the ice in his big year, the team was a +83. Shows how the right players can affect guys like Gionta. Once again, puck moving defenseman.

If Lou traded him to a team where he hooked up with someone like that, he'd look like a moron when Gionta hit 35-40 goals the next season, because whoever the Devils bring in would 'underachieve' in comparison.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

2 games ago I thought Gionta played great. He drove to the net and didn't take weak shots from the blue line for no reason. Last night we had a lot more weak shots with no chance of rebounds or scoring and less moving the feet and driving the net. Gionta, to be most effective, needs to skate hard and always work at getting close to the net. This year he seems very content to patrol the boards and rely on his shot, which is average at best. If Gionta gets back to what he does best he will be effective. Right now, the way he is approaching the offensive zone, he is a good checking winger and not the goal getter that he can be.

Edited by Devils731

Last night either Keith Jones or Englebom pointed out that its mostly the fact that no one on our defense can muster up good deflectable shots, which is what Gionta thrives on. 80% of his goals are dirty, they come from tip ins, deflections and rebounds. If the defense cant put good shots on net he is clearly not going to be effective. Plus i think its also the fact that opposition caught on his tendencies to go in front of the net and collect garbage there, so they cover him much better now. The problem is in the lack of offense from our defense and not in our wingers. I wouldnt trade Gionta for another winger, it would have to be for a D-man that can actually muster up some good accurate shots and can move the puck. Having said that, I really dont think we will be able to get the kind of player that we would want in return for Gionta.

Put me on the bandwagon to NOT trade Gio -- barely. I think that when (if) the Devils are in the playoffs, Gio will come through with timely plays. I don't have anything concrete to base that on, just a hunch.

However, if the Devils were to trade Gio for Cheechoo, that would be a decent move. I could see both players coming alive with the change in scenery.

A name I did not see while scanning this thread is Andrew Ladd. Would people think Ladd could contribute to this Devils team?

I don't know if there was an 'official' trade Elias thread (and his no-trade half precludes it anyway) but over the last year and a half there were about as many trade Elias posts as there are people at the Giants parade today :P

But it's what people do around here, like Dew said - Zajac had a bad few weeks trade him, Gionta's had a bad few weeks trade him too. Trade Parise (just getting out of a slump) for Dion Phaneuf while we're at it. And yeah it's always been like that but lately it's just gotten even more ridiculous.

Edited by Hasan4978

people like trades, they like speculating. The idea of trades is fun and exciting. It gives this board a purpose, to discuss and to entertain its users with fantasies of exciting trade possibilities (along with other devil-related threads). It's alright to post in here that you don't think we should trade X player, but for all these people to come in and say that this kind of thread shouldn't be started at all is just nonsense. Most of this thread has been very entertaining to me, I've enjoyed reading ideas people have come up with and comparisons of players and playing styles.

people like trades, they like speculating. The idea of trades is fun and exciting. It gives this board a purpose, to discuss and to entertain its users with fantasies of exciting trade possibilities (along with other devil-related threads). It's alright to post in here that you don't think we should trade X player, but for all these people to come in and say that this kind of thread shouldn't be started at all is just nonsense. Most of this thread has been very entertaining to me, I've enjoyed reading ideas people have come up with and comparisons of players and playing styles.

I just cant honestly tell if this is a joke or not.

Gionta has scored more points then everyone on your non "fringe" list except Tanguay (who makes 25% more money) and Hejduk who makes 1/10th of a mil less and has a whopping 3 more points. Gionta isn't tearing up the scoring sheet but he is on pace to finish with 50 points. YOU were the one who said you were be perfectly happy with Elias, our 6mil player scoring 65 points in a season but Gio the 4m scoring 50 is atrocious and must be traded for other players who at best are equally preforming per paycheck?

Havlat might be more gifted then Gio but he cant stay healthy, in 7 years the closest he came to a full season was 73 games (his first), and more importantly over the last 3 seasons he has played 108 games out of about 200. Yea, fat load of good he will do us in half our playoff games. This post is ridiculous.

Edited by Triumph

Message boards are not for enjoyment! They are for serious discussion! The point is to repeat the same point over and over while someone else repeats the exact opposite view over and over, until someone passes out from fatigue or admits that the other is right and therefore superior...

NO AGREE WITH ME OR I WILL REPEAT IT.

270911970_db35fdd4ca.jpg

Edited by Hasan4978