Marty and the Queen Have a Drink

msweet

hey, did the ranger fans celebrate the Kings winning in 2012....hell yeah

we're doing the same thing right now...our rival got beat...lets have a good time

we dont have to get technical about everything

this is after all a NJ Devil fan forum...we shouldnt have to explain anything 

I think we all know that Lundqvist is a phenomenal goalie. The Lundqvist dissing is because he's a rival, his fans dubbed him "The King" in arrogant fashion, and many of them act like he is the greatest goaltender to play the game since Richter (who is one of my all time favorites). Our guy won 3 cups and 4 Vezina's and his fancy nickname is "Marty". Or fatso, although I never got how a 215lb 6'2 guy was considered fat. 

Anyway, as Devils fans we had a terrible season overall from top to bottom and I think this near-miss of the Rangers losing in the finals has earned us an excuse to celebrate SOMETHING. Sure it's petty and immature, but so is ripping on a 600-plus win goalie because of an affair he had over a decade ago. 

QFT.

• Like 1

I think we all know that Lundqvist is a phenomenal goalie. The Lundqvist dissing is because he's a rival, his fans dubbed him "The King" in arrogant fashion, and many of them act like he is the greatest goaltender to play the game since Richter (who is one of my all time favorites). Our guy won 3 cups and 4 Vezina's and his fancy nickname is "Marty". Or fatso, although I never got how a 215lb 6'2 guy was considered fat.

Anyway, as Devils fans we had a terrible season overall from top to bottom and I think this near-miss of the Rangers losing in the finals has earned us an excuse to celebrate SOMETHING. Sure it's petty and immature, but so is ripping on a 600-plus win goalie because of an affair he had over a decade ago.

Excellent post. For all the crap we got from rags fans after we lost in 2012 to the kings and this terrible season (apparently according to rags fans the stadium game counted for 3 points in their mind) we have every reason to rip on them.

What's great is that rags fans have become so boorish and redundant that you can predict every insult they throw your way. It's like they put no effort into it

As for Lundqvist, I'll still enjoy Sam Rosen pretending every time to be surprised when Lundqvist plays one off his head. Always a brilliant decision to intentionally let something coming at 85 MPH hit your head, and it's never an actual save, the puck is going high anyway. 'Joe, he played it off his head on purpose!'

Lundqvist is a good goalie, possibly even good enough to win 40 games in a season (though that's unlikely). He's not good enough to carry his team to a cup though. If the Bruins don't hit 100 posts and crossbars against the Habs the Rags don't even get to finals to begin with. The Rags got lucky this year, and won't be back to the finals for a long time. If Rags fans don't see that, then they will eventually. For the 1% of their fans that aren't @sshats (really, it's just that 99% of them that ruin it for everybody ;) ) they should enjoy the trip and take it for what it is, like '12 was for us basically, a one and done.

The Rags got lucky this year, and won't be back to the finals for a long time. If Rags fans don't see that, then they will eventually. For the 1% of their fans that aren't @sshats (really, it's just that 99% of them that ruin it for everybody ;) ) they should enjoy the trip and take it for what it is, like '12 was for us basically, a one and done.

I really hope this is true, but I'm not as confident as you. For one, the new playoff format rewards teams in weak divisions, and the metro by far looks the weakest right now. Are you trusting the pens to keep the rags from another conference finals appearance? Because after them (and they come with their own serious questions) there's a whole lot of questions in this division.

I really hope this is true, but I'm not as confident as you. For one, the new playoff format rewards teams in weak divisions, and the metro by far looks the weakest right now. Are you trusting the pens to keep the rags from another conference finals appearance? Because after them (and they come with their own serious questions) there's a whole lot of questions in this division.

What, no - the Atlantic is weaker.  Florida stinks, Toronto stinks, Montreal is not good, Ottawa isn't good, and Buffalo is terrible.  Detroit's pretty mediocre too.  Tampa is going to be very good, maybe even great next year, but everyone else is not very good.

What, no - the Atlantic is weaker.  Florida stinks, Toronto stinks, Montreal is not good, Ottawa isn't good, and Buffalo is terrible.  Detroit's pretty mediocre too.  Tampa is going to be very good, maybe even great next year, but everyone else is not very good.

If Datsyuk and Zetterberg can remain healthy, Detroit is much more than mediocre, especially if Nyquist will only continue to get better, which is a pretty good bet. 

Florida is a team that might turn on a dime and all the sudden become a 90+ point team, but they're probably another year away.  Young (albeit very young) skilled forwards, and Luongo probably has another three years of a .915+ save percentage.  Gunbrandson might actually manage to turn things around, who knows.

All the stats would tell you that Toronto stinks, and maybe this year is when it truly begins to show.  However, for the past two years, they've been better than the fancy stats suggest.  Bernier might also be really, really good and help a bad team look respectable.

Buffalo will in all likelihood be terrible this year and the year after.  In three years though, it's a team will be a perennial Cup contender depending on how they fare in the draft lottery next year.  And if the Isles crap the bed next year, Buffalo could very well be the next dynasty.

Ottawa stinks, and probably will continue to stink for a while.  I think they're going to be sorely disappointed with the return they get for Spezza. 

What, no - the Atlantic is weaker. Florida stinks, Toronto stinks, Montreal is not good, Ottawa isn't good, and Buffalo is terrible. Detroit's pretty mediocre too. Tampa is going to be very good, maybe even great next year, but everyone else is not very good.

yeah my mistake I shouldn't have said by far the weakest but IMO it has the most questions. If the rangers were in the Atlantic I would be more confident that lunqvist wouldn't win a cup, because Boston and Tampa are both legit teams, and Montreal is at least capable. I can't say the same about the metro over the next 3 years with total confidence. That's what I was getting at, but of course a lot can change and even lunqvist should have a fairly different team in front of him next year. Edited by dmann422

gallery_4_81_27225.jpg

I had so much fun with that pix this weekend.

DR33 I think Lundy is great, but I am so tired of Rags fans telling me how he is better than marty.. where is he better than marty?  His team plays just as defensive as many Devils teams did for Marty, the late 90's it lseemed like every other Devil game was a 1 goal game. and he has won many many playoffs games for NJ.  Shutting up the Rags fans was alot of fun this weekend...  and I did it w/out any Cups :-)