Rolston = Ouch!

hoekster316

I hated Brian Rolston as a Devil as much as anyone, but the quotes are fine. He's talking to a Minny reporter about how fun it was for those years to be a Wild in that building. And it can be an electric building. Just a great hockey area. And what he said is still 100% truth.

Well just wait for the thread due to the article about Zach saying the same thing because every reporter will ask him about the energy and playing in front of a full crowd 100 times for the next month or year or years.

Edited by devilsrule33

I hated Brian Rolston as a Devil as much as anyone, but the quotes are fine. He's talking to a Minny reporter about how fun it was for those years to be a Wild in that building. And it can be an electric building. Just a great hockey area. And what he said is still 100% truth.

We'll just wait or the thread due to the article about Zach saying the same thing because every reporter will ask him about the energy and playing in front of a full crowd 100 times for the next month or year or years.

Again, no its not. Do you have center ice, or watch games from minnesota? Yes, the building is sold out but its also a damn morgue

The vast majority of Ranger fans I meet think that because the Rangers play in New York, "in the world's greatest arena", and were an Original Six, the Rangers are somehow to hockey what the Yankees are to baseball. Like I've said, it might be collectively THE dumbest and most delusional fanbase I have ever seen. Some fanbases are more violent, some are too quiet, but the Ranger fans are just flat-out dumb.

Yeah in general, Ranger fans are pretty fvcking stupid and naïve, no question. Now I have friends who are Ranger fans and they're great people, and not a$$hole fans at all- so just like any fanbase, they have their good and their bad. But on the whole, yeah- most of them buy into all of the propaganda MSG feeds them, on top of being incredibly arrogant, which would be ironic if it wasn't so sad, seeing as how they've won one Cup in 73 years.

Again, no its not. Do you have center ice, or watch games from minnesota? Yes, the building is sold out but its also a damn morgue

Could also be the sound feed. Remember when we played Ottawa at the Rock and the MSG feed made it seem like the arena was dead but the Canadian feed made it feel like an ECF game?

Now I have friends who are Ranger fans and they're great people, and not a$$hole fans at all- so just like any fanbase, they have their good and their bad.

Yeah but the bad show up to The Rock, because they can't afford the permanent client meeting perk that is MSG.

A lot can change when your team has sucked for 4-5 years than when it was a playoff team in 2006-2008 when Rolston was there.

Could also be the sound feed. Remember when we played Ottawa at the Rock and the MSG feed made it seem like the arena was dead but the Canadian feed made it feel like an ECF game?

Thats true, it could be the feed, but im also going on fans standing up, etc. For instance, (on a side note) Calgary packs 19k plus every night into the Saddledome, yet about 12% of the crowd stands up when they score lol..Yeah the Wild have sucked and im not knocking their fan base but its not extraordinarily loud or anything amazing that rolston is referring to. A full building doesnt necessarily mean 'energy'. Our fan base has an undeserved reputation. Our crowds are louder imo (again when we actually fill our arena)

Edited by devlman

As a STH, I've seen firsthand the good and bad from Devils crowds. Often, especially during mid-week games towards the beginning of the season when there is less than full attendance, the crowd is rather passive for most of the game. However, during rivalry games and most weekend contests, the crowd is into it and passionate, and its often very loud. The playoffs this past season were a great example of what our crowd can be and should be on a regular basis. Those were some of the best atmospheres I've experienced in my 27+ years following this team. And a lot of credit needs to go to the Devils and their ticket department for keeping a good number of Flyer/Rags fans out of the building for Rounds 2 and 3.

Meh, no big deal. Minnesota is a hockey-crazy state. We all know that.

The day Zach get booed by his home crowd... (and its gonna happen sooner than later with that contract) is the day i will make peace with that whole thing

Edited by SterioDesign

After all these years we still get offended when our crowd gets slammed?

Truth. And it's not just about this; there's a huge portion of the Devils fan base that insists upon being super-touchy over just about everything.

C'mon now, we all know our atmosphere isn't that great compared to other arenas (not including playoffs obviously).

And more truth. Not only that, but this is Minne-fvcking-sota we're talking about here. Yeah, I can totally buy into the idea that Wild fans are among the loudest and most passionate in the league.

We'll just wait or the thread due to the article about Zach saying the same thing because every reporter will ask him about the energy and playing in front of a full crowd 100 times for the next month or year or years.

A-yup.

Oh, the butthurt will be strong that day.

Either way, I don't see why the crowd should have an impact on players.. If you need people in the stands being loud in order to get pumped for the game, you're not a very good professional athlete.. Maybe Rolston is blaming the fans for his demise :P

Anyone who doesn't think the crowd has an impact on players ought to come up to an Albany game. 3,000 fans rattling around in an arena built for 14,000 watching a piss-poor team stink out loud going on a decade... oy.

It goes both ways, though. If the players don't give the fans anything to cheer about, they'll keep quiet, and if the fans aren't fired up, that can definitely affect the energy level down on the ice.

The whole time Rolston was back he refused to take responsibility for his poor play and winked his way through his 2nd stint. He blamed it on his lack of getting a chance to play with the top players. Then when he was traded he again, rather than take responsibility, he said something to the effect of, "I'm happy to go somewhere where I'll get the chance to prove myself." Now he has a grudge against us. He needs to get a clue.

Only Brian Rolston could have his greatest impact with a team being traded twice. Traded for Claude and then traded from there to Boston for Bourque. And of course being the highest paid third liner this side of Jason Blake. DAMMIT Rolston.