The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions:

David Conte taking in #Flames - #Kings..Conte key #Devils decision maker...interesting..

Yeah, this is very interesting for sure. Tri is right, you never really hear about Conte attending games.

Wow this is indeed very interesting, I cannot remember a time where Conte was seen scouting a game.

I still think Lou will get someone for cheap like a Boyes or Hemsky. I don't see him giving away any of our young D this season.

I'm cool giving up a mid-round pick and one of the defensemen not named Gelinas, Merrill, Greene, or Larsson for Cammalleri. However, if Lou trades any one of those four in a deal where Cammalleri is the centerpiece, I will lose it.

Severson and Santini better be kept out of any Cammalleri deal as well.

Why is everyone assuming the Flames?  I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli.  They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.  

Hemksy would be an upgrade over Brunner.  And I like Brunner, but Hemsky is very talented.  His points won't blow you away, but he's been mostly used in a checking role. He's also not bad defensively.  Boyes would be a nice upgrade over Bernier.  If Lou can get Hemsky and Boyes, I'd be happy.

Why is everyone assuming the Flames?  I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli.  They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.  

I like Toffoli.  Kings fans are mad at Sutter for not playing him on the first line more.

If we ever even talked trade with Calgary you KNOW Burke would want Matteau or Santini, one of our truculent players :P

All kidding aside, if there's a prospect that might be untouchable, I think it's Santini. In part because of circumstances in that he couldn't land another very good NHL player on his own, unlike Larsson. I also really think that Lou believes he'll be the future captain of the team, not to mention that he's really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Why is everyone assuming the Flames? I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli. They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.

That's my hope and there's just as much rapport between Lou and Lombardi as there is with Lou and Burke.

To me sending Conte suggests some follow up on a guy the Devils liked in the drafting 0process recently.

I wouldn't hesitate in giving up either...just not both. You gotta give to get sometimes

That would be horrific. Cammalleri really isn't that good and it seems every team he goes to wants to get rid of him after a year or two.

I love Santinis potential and Matteau is a piece you give up for a cost controlled younger talent who can be here for awhile. Not some scrub rental.

I already mentioned it but i really don't want Cammalleri, he's absolutely not a Devils kind of player. Extremely selfish and can be a cancer in a locker room. He has one hell of a shot and can score in SO sure but still, if we're getting someone id like to see someone that we could at least try to resign next season and i really dont want that guy. I absolutely can't stand the guy.

Bringing Cammalleri in (assuming the price is low...not sure why Calgary thinks a guy who's been a -39 over the last two seasons would fetch a big return) would be a bit like Steve Sullivan Part 2 to me...it would feel like a lukewarm endorsement of this team on Lou's part.  Kind of a "what the hell, maybe he helps" kind of move, but I don't see the current version of Cammalleri really making much of a difference here.  It feels like it'd be adding a new body for the sake of doing so. 

Assuming this is what SD is referring to, regarding Cammalleri's past:

http://thecheckingline.com/blog/george-prax/montreal-canadiens/well-was-quick-habs-boot-mike-cammalleri-calgary

The Flames have not much trade bait. I think Burke is going to fleece some desperate team for Mike Cammalleri. It really better not be the Devils.

I saw a tweet from dreger that said Burke admitted it's unlikely that they re-sign camilleri, so I think that hurts his leverage a bit. I think it really will depend on what other wingers are available. If moulson vanek and gaborik are and the asking price is a first minimum, I'm not sure how camilleri commands a first as well.

Idk I guess what I'm saying is it seems like a buyers market for forwards this year since there are a few guys available...

Edited by dmann422

That would be horrific. Cammalleri really isn't that good and it seems every team he goes to wants to get rid of him after a year or two.

I love Santinis potential and Matteau is a piece you give up for a cost controlled younger talent who can be here for awhile. Not some scrub rental.

Both Santini and Matteau are dime a dozen prospects with little offensive upside. But they're also the best movable chips we have considering the sorry state of our prospects in general. If you're going to hang on to them, then there is no trade to be made at the deadline

Both Santini and Matteau are dime a dozen prospects with little offensive upside. But they're also the best movable chips we have considering the sorry state of our prospects in general. If you're going to hang on to them, then there is no trade to be made at the deadline

They are not dime a dozen prospects.  Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good.  Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19.  Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW.  I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it.  I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway.  There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

They are not dime a dozen prospects.  Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good.  Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19.  Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW.  I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it.  I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway.  There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

Devils already don't have their first-rounder, not sure I'd want to give up what looks to be roughly a mid-second for a rental that doesn't look like a strong bet to really help.  Not thrilled about moving next year's second either, but I'm a little more open to that I guess.