Non New Jersyians/International Posters- Why Did You Choose the Devils

Derlique

I always liked hockey from watching the mighty ducks as a young boy, however never fully followed it because hockey does not have as big a-following in the UK. I picked hockey back up by joining my university hockey team as a beginner and needed a jersey and a team to support so checked on ebay for hockey jerseys, the top result (and IMO best logo design) was NJD. As soon as I clicked the buy button, I was straight onto the Devils website, wikipedia, anything to do with them and learnt as much histoy as possible.

So I guess, I loved the design and then love the history of the organisation and players.

Always proud to wear my Sheffield Wednesday shirt underneath my Devils jersey :thumbsup:

It was 1993/1994-ish, I was 7 or 8. Everyone collected hockey cards and picked teams, which was kinda funny when you think about it because all we saw was condensed highlights on TV. Anyways, I (and I alone) chose the Devils. Why? Cool logo and they were getting good at the time. 1995 was huge, even though I didn't see a second of live TV, nor can I recall anything except reading the results on TV text.

Another tale of randomness from over the pond in the UK!

Way back in the mid to late seventies (yes, I'm old) when the UK only had three TV channels there used to be a program every saturday afternoon called World of Sport. This program used to run through a few highlights of tha major sporting events from around the world. So, from the USA we'd get  the  very brief clips of Nascar, NFL, NBA, MLB & some hockey. I loved the MLB and NFL but it was the ice hockey that really made an impression on me. I guess it was the combination of skill, speed and the physical that caught my eye. The only real alternative in the UK was soccer so I followed that.

Jump forward a decade or so  and the NFL started to get shown in depth over here and I became probably the only Green Bay fan to start supporting the team because they we're so bad it was comical. Jump forward another decade and I was trying to find a game I could play with my soccer hating son on his Xbox when I remembered watching ice hockey on tv all those years ago, so went and bought one of the NHL 2K games. Chosing a team was just a case of flicking through the teams until I saw one  I liked and the Devils were that team. From playing the game I fell in love with the team and scoured the internet for info (and found this site among others) and soon realised I could watch the games on the internet and I've probably only missed about ten games over that last four seasons.

Now my seven year old daughter watches games with me whenever they're on early enough and frequently tries to sneak down late at night to watch games. She wants to know why I can't take her to a Devils game and can't understand why Pavel Datsyuk (who she thinks is the greatest player in the world) doesn't want to play for the Devils.

What else is there to say? Ah yes..........Go Devils!!!!!

• Like 1

I bleed red and black now, and I no longer care for Australian sports, hockey is in my blood.

Do you watch any Australian hockey? Sometimes if I'm up late at night I'll check the AIHL website to see if there's any games being streamed. The Melbourne Ice offer live video streaming for free and a couple other teams have audio-only streams.

Do you watch any Australian hockey? Sometimes if I'm up late at night I'll check the AIHL website to see if there's any games being streamed. The Melbourne Ice offer live video streaming for free and a couple other teams have audio-only streams.

I've been to a couple of live games, but to be honest, whilst it is hockey, the quality just isn't there. I've even screamed at the refs for screwing up basic hockey calls. I am extremely spoiled by NHL hockey, and would love to live in an area of USA/Canada with a minor league team and NHL team for more high quality hockey.

I always liked hockey from watching the mighty ducks as a young boy, however never fully followed it because hockey does not have as big a-following in the UK. I picked hockey back up by joining my university hockey team as a beginner and needed a jersey and a team to support so checked on ebay for hockey jerseys, the top result (and IMO best logo design) was NJD. As soon as I clicked the buy button, I was straight onto the Devils website, wikipedia, anything to do with them and learnt as much histoy as possible.

So I guess, I loved the design and then love the history of the organisation and players.

Always proud to wear my Sheffield Wednesday shirt underneath my Devils jersey :thumbsup:

I've called /talked to Cardiff Devils folks and going to buy t-shirt, but had issue w/ my card @ the time, and for some reason didn't pursue it. They had a player on their team that played in Dev's farm system for a few years. Name was Max.