Concerts

Devils Dose

went to The Deftones and System Of A Down last night @ PNC Bank Arts Center

such an awesome show. im a big deftones fan and saw them 3 times before last night, even without Chi Cheng (Who i read is slowly recovering from his Coma) they were just awesome.

I've never seen SOAD before, so this was exciting for me.They were crisp as hell. Sounded great. The crowd was REALLY into it, which always makes the experience that much better

It was a nice hour and a half set full of songs from all albums. Just really an excellent live band

went to The Deftones and System Of A Down last night @ PNC Bank Arts Center

such an awesome show. im a big deftones fan and saw them 3 times before last night, even without Chi Cheng (Who i read is slowly recovering from his Coma) they were just awesome.

I've never seen SOAD before, so this was exciting for me.They were crisp as hell. Sounded great. The crowd was REALLY into it, which always makes the experience that much better

It was a nice hour and a half set full of songs from all albums. Just really an excellent live band

Yeah man that show was awesome! Hopefully they keep touring and it's not another six years until they come back. They didn't play anything from Steal this Album though.

System of a Down are a really solid live band, wish I could have made it Saturday night.

Just looked at the setlist, glad to see they played Radio/Video, probably my favorite song off that album and the only one I've never seen them play live.

--------

Sigur Ros was absolutely incredible, as expected. I highly recommend seeing them live, even if you think you're not into their music. Incredible experience.

Didn't go to Bouncing Souls last night.

Next up for me is Riotfest in Chicago next month. Then Third Eye Blind at the Stone Pony (SummerStage show). Might try to catch The Royal Concept at Santos in November too.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw roger waters at Yankee stadium after seeing him in 2010 and 2006. The wall is the third best selling album of all time in America and dark side of the moon is the longest charting album of all time on billboard. That album has been cited by some as arguably the best selling rock/pop album of all time worldwide if you count all formats. So yeah him and pink Floyd are pretty good.

I like mostly classic rock.

I hate whiney, overly preachy white guys whose music is a cross between phish (whom i find to be equally terrible) and thinks he is a hippy version of Bruce. Sorry but DMB is terrible and his fans are mostly 15-25 year olds who think they are reliving the 60s while having their mommys and daddy's paying for their tickets, iPhones, cars and everything else in their life.

Quite the stereotypical view I must say. At the show at Bethel Woods NY this year, Most of the crowd was 25 and up. Not many college or high school kids at all. Maybe you're thinking of OAR? I also bought my own tickets, car, and iPhone.

Your view of the 15-25 year old "fan" is also a stereotype you can stick on fans of any popular act in today's music industry. Your musical taste is better than I thought it would be with Floyd and Waters.

The problem you have is your use of the word "terrible." Trey Anastasio of Phish is one of the better guitar players around today. Every single member of Dave Matthews Band is also immensely talented. You simply just don't get excited by the music which is fine.

I also cannot stand Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi. Talentless hacks that make millions of dollars recycling material. You could play a game where you line up any verse of a Bon Jovi song with any chorus of any Bon Jovi song and they all go together. You could also go to a show and know beforehand what at least 10-15 songs are going to be. I've been to 19 DMB shows and have heard my favorite song ONCE.

I don't know where you come off calling Dave preachy either. Their last album, Big Whisky, most of the songs are about sex and being dirty. The most political song is Dive In and it's about a relationship told in the theme of global warming. One song on that album could be "preachy."

Quite the stereotypical view I must say. At the show at Bethel Woods NY this year, Most of the crowd was 25 and up. Not many college or high school kids at all. Maybe you're thinking of OAR? I also bought my own tickets, car, and iPhone.

Your view of the 15-25 year old "fan" is also a stereotype you can stick on fans of any popular act in today's music industry. Your musical taste is better than I thought it would be with Floyd and Waters.

The problem you have is your use of the word "terrible." Trey Anastasio of Phish is one of the better guitar players around today. Every single member of Dave Matthews Band is also immensely talented. You simply just don't get excited by the music which is fine.

I also cannot stand Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi. Talentless hacks that make millions of dollars recycling material. You could play a game where you line up any verse of a Bon Jovi song with any chorus of any Bon Jovi song and they all go together. You could also go to a show and know beforehand what at least 10-15 songs are going to be. I've been to 19 DMB shows and have heard my favorite song ONCE.

I don't know where you come off calling Dave preachy either. Their last album, Big Whisky, most of the songs are about sex and being dirty. The most political song is Dive In and it's about a relationship told in the theme of global warming. One song on that album could be "preachy."

Phish and DMB is just terrible music. They are preachy as could be and every single fan of either are usually in the 15-25 age group, but for Phish I will say that it is probably more like 18-35.

Fans of both groups tend to think they are the 2000's version of the Deadheads back in the 60's. The difference is that when I hear the Grateful Dead I can at least hear their distinctiveness and their talents while Phish is desperately trying to imitate them and DMB just sounds like every lame, whiney lone white guy act with a multicultural band behind him to show how diverse he is.

Phish and DMB is just terrible music. They are preachy as could be and every single fan of either are usually in the 15-25 age group, but for Phish I will say that it is probably more like 18-35.

Fans of both groups tend to think they are the 2000's version of the Deadheads back in the 60's. The difference is that when I hear the Grateful Dead I can at least hear their distinctiveness and their talents while Phish is desperately trying to imitate them and DMB just sounds like every lame, whiney lone white guy act with a multicultural band behind him to show how diverse he is.

Well that's the end of our music conversation. You are absolutely 100% entitled not to like certain music... but you've more than shown me that you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. First of all... DMB fans are ages 25-50

The band has one of the absolute best drummers in the world, Carter Beauford:

One of the best sax players in the biz Jeff Coffin:

A bass player that regularly plays Bach masterpieces on the bass as a solo during shows

A violin player that can play any style of music and absolutely jams his ass off

Of course you're probably not going to watch any of this because you don't want to be proved wrong...

But you really are ridiculous.

Anybody here familiar with shows at Starland Ballroom?

Went there once years ago to see Bad Religion, but don't remember much about the joint.

Well, I'm returning on September 14th to see Flogging Molly, but I'm hearing horror stories about how they overbook every show, making it virtually impossible to move around.

Anybody?

Well that's the end of our music conversation. You are absolutely 100% entitled not to like certain music... but you've more than shown me that you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. First of all... DMB fans are ages 25-50

The band has one of the absolute best drummers in the world, Carter Beauford:

One of the best sax players in the biz Jeff Coffin:

A bass player that regularly plays Bach masterpieces on the bass as a solo during shows

A violin player that can play any style of music and absolutely jams his ass off

Of course you're probably not going to watch any of this because you don't want to be proved wrong...

But you really are ridiculous.

Best in the world according to who? Take any of those names above and ask anyone on the street who they are and most will have no clue. They are the best in the world according to DMB fans.

Also if I want to listen to jam music, I can go to any bar, coffehouse and restaurant in the world that plays live music. When I was in college I used to go listen to a few jam bands live but after a while I began to realize they all sound the same and stopped going. Saved myself a lot of cover charges and wasted time.

Went there once years ago to see Bad Religion, but don't remember much about the joint.

Well, I'm returning on September 14th to see Flogging Molly, but I'm hearing horror stories about how they overbook every show, making it virtually impossible to move around.

Anybody?

It does tend to get pretty crowded. I'm not a fan of the venue, but if I was in NJ that weekend, I'd have dealt with it for that show.

You could always hang in the back/off to the sides in the bar areas - those tend to be a little less crowded for sold-out shows, especially if they do wristbands and keep the young'ns on the main floor.

BTW, you should try to get there early enough to catch River City Extension, who I think are the direct support for Flogging Molly. Great band, and from Jersey to boot.

I wish I had more money for shows. I'd love to see Flogging Molly again, and I'm feeling Gaslight Anthem as well. I don't like Starland, but I'll go for the right act. Since I'm in Brooklyn now, I'm more likely to stay in the city or go upstate, which is good, because I tend to like the venues better there.

I like Bruce, Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews so I guess from what I have skimmed reading this I must be in some sort of minority. Haha. Personally though, my favorite band is Rush (Honorable mention to the Stone Temple Pilots) and I'm going to try to get tickets for them when they come to the Rock.

Never listened to Gaslight. I tend to stick to my core of classic rock and 90s alternative/grunge. (I refuse to label the 90s as "Classic Rock" as of yet.) The only modern bands I really like are The Killers, Muse, The Black Keys and Cage the Elephant.

Edited by TheMazz

I like Bruce, Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews so I guess from what I have skimmed reading this I must be in some sort of minority. Haha. Personally though, my favorite band is Rush (Honorable mention to the Stone Temple Pilots) and I'm going to try to get tickets for them when they come to the Rock.

Never listened to Gaslight. I tend to stick to my core of classic rock and 90s alternative/grunge. (I refuse to label the 90s as "Classic Rock" as of yet.) The only modern bands I really like are The Killers, Muse, The Black Keys and Cage the Elephant.

If you like Bruce, you'll like Gaslight Anthem. Same style, with a little more of a punk sound. Bruce has even played with them on occasion in concert.

BTW, you should try to get there early enough to catch River City Extension, who I think are the direct support for Flogging Molly. Great band, and from Jersey to boot.

I'll be there early...no question about it. Looking forward to seeing RCE.

Looking forward to seeing the Menzingers, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and her sister are big Mumford & Sons fans. It was their first time seeing them live, so they worked their way up close to the stage early on so that they would have a good spot for the closing band. But Gogol Bordello, who they had never heard of beforehand, was the next-to-last band. Some guys and girls warned them that the crowd might get a little crazy. And sure enough, once Gogol came on, my wife and her sister found themselves on the edges of a major moshpit, LOL. Even though it is not their type of music, they couldn't stop talking about the fun they had at that show. According to them, both bands were great. My wife puts the experience in her Top 5 concerts ever.

Anybody?

Starland is a nice venue, good sound & sight-lines. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere for me so I rarely go there anymore since I am just a subway ride away from like 10 NYC venues, but I like the place.

Not that you should be Drinking and Driving in the first place, but many time's i've gone there and encountered a checkpoint down the road on my way out.

In regards to the DMB debate earlier; I consider myself totally open minded to all types of music, and listen to music all day (part of my job), but I cannot stand DMB.

I know it's all personal taste... and they are great musicians and all, but for whatever reason they are as polarizing as Nickelback. (Not as terrible as Nickleback) They are a different kind of "suck" to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Riot Fest in Chicago this weekend. Pretty awesome - Frank Turner, Gaslight Anthem, Gogol Bordello, Imagine Dragons, AWOLNation, Iggy & The Stooges, Elvis Costello, Screaming Females, Jesus & Mary Chain, and a bunch of others. Good show. The park was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but set up really well.

Edited by thelastonealive

Went to Riot Fest in Chicago this weekend. Pretty awesome - Frank Turner, Gaslight Anthem, Gogol Bordello, Imagine Dragons, AWOLNation, Iggy & The Stooges, Elvis Costello, Screaming Females, Jesus & Mary Chain, and a bunch of others. Good show. The park was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but set up really well.

Frank Turner is the bomb-diggity. I saw him open up for the Dropkick Murphys back in March, and he was on point.

Frank Turner is the bomb-diggity. I saw him open up for the Dropkick Murphys back in March, and he was on point.

I only knew a handful of his songs before seeing him Saturday, but he was one of the best sets of the weekend. Good stuff.

How was Flogging Molly/River City Extension? RCE actually just announced their annual Thanksgiving Eve show at Stone Pony with two of my other favorite local bands, the Front Bottoms and Brick + Mortar.

How was Flogging Molly/River City Extension? RCE actually just announced their annual Thanksgiving Eve show at Stone Pony with two of my other favorite local bands, the Front Bottoms and Brick + Mortar.

The FM show was good. Both openers were great. Menzingers were melodic punk (technically, I guess)...lots of good hooks.

RCE...well, I wasn't sure what to think of them through the first 2-3 songs of the set, but by the end, I was hooked. They did mention the upcoming Thanksgiving shows at the Stone Pony.

Flogging Molly were good, and gave me the exact same setlist as when I saw them in Bethlehem in May (albeit the order was rearranged).

The sound was hit-or-miss during their set, though. It wasn't the worst sound I've ever heard at a show, but definitely not the best, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to see Killswitch Engage when they come to town on this tour? I am going to see them in Lancaster PA on the 15th of December. If anyone else is going too, let me know.

Anybody?

Saw Killswitch there a few years ago was a great show. Nothing there worth complaining about at all.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Saw M83, Nas, Ben Folds Five, Penguin Prison, and Portugal. The Man at FreeFest in Maryland this weekend (and Jack White, but I could only stay for 3 or 4 songs before heading home). Good stuff, really want to see M83 in a smaller venue setting.

Planning on Anberlin/Morning Parade and River City Extension/Front Bottoms/Brick + Mortar in November, then that's probably it for me this year.