NFL Divisional Round Playoffs!

CRASHER

The last big “true” weekend of football until next September (man that used to sound sooo far from now….funny how now I think “damn look at all the hockey I can play on Sundays now!!”….and even more disappointing it would be if you looked at the potential stinkers we have this week (and poor game placement over the weekend).the good news is the road to the Super Bowl is almost complete, and if you’re not playing this weekend, you’re already on the golf course!! We’ll save the filler for next week when I’ll really need it….four games left to talk about!!!

Saturday January 10:

4pm:

Ravens at Patriots:

It’s going to annoy me all weekend that this game is so buried into the “game we don’t really wanna show but we gotta” time slot….stupid CBS picking the games beforehand…this should be Indy and Denver…don’t really have to say much to introduce this one….it all gets covered below:

How Baltimore got here:

They may not get here pretty….but boy when they do….the numbers and stats for the Ravens are just SICK…. 9-0 on the road with Flacco, a strong pass rush and Nata looked good after his four-week PED-vacation….the O-Line was strong and this offense is so balanced across the board when you look at them and say “who do we have to stop?” you kinda stutter and go …”ummm….I dunno!?!?!?!” ….add in a flawless kicker and good punting game and you can see why the Ravens are a force when they get to the playoffs….but also understand why they struggle to get in every year….

How New England got here:

It’s not the same old story here…..yes Brady is still Brady (for the most, he had his stinkers this year)…the offense aside of Gronk doesn’t scare you but they do complement each other nicely (Lafell and Amendola for example….the thousand running backs they got)….and an improved defense, this is the first true “team” the Patriots have in a long, long, long time….and of course we still have Darth Hoodie firing his force lightning and that coaching staff too, which are always a force to be reckoned with….

Who's gonna win?

The Ravens do give the Pats FITS, they just seem to be born and bred to knock them off, and they have more often than not of late…the Ravens are Road Warriors on the level of Hawk and Animal….and whoever wins this game is winning next week too no doubt (least to me), I’d really love to pick the Pats here and they do seem to play their best when I expect them to fail….but it’s sooo hard to go against the hot hand, and I looked foolish enough doing it last week….I might be rooting hard for NE, but I don’t think it’s gonna matter….and this will be a good, close and downright awesome game….shame it couldn’t wait till NEXT week…..

Winner: Ravens

Game Quality: ****

8pm:

Carolina at Seattle:

I don't really have much to say about this....I guess it's the late game because it's west coast....but this is defintely the most likely game to skip if you have to like go have a life at some time this weekend (which for me means watch the NHL....heh)....if I don't hit enter and move on soon I'm just gonna feel the need to fill space and talk garbage here sooo enter key it is.....

How the Panthers got here:

They won WORST PLACE in the NFC South, and then beat a team that would have been better having me play QB the day after my knee surgery last week….needless to say the Panthers have had the path of least resistance, but only one running back has been hotter than John Stewart….the defense is getting better….and this team is “Seattle light” with a few better weapons on offense, but a lesser version of Russell Wilson at QB

How the ‘Hawks got here:

Home field dominance….awesome defensive play…..and an MVP-Level performance from Russell Wilson at QB (no QB in football is more dangerous of making plays on the run with his arm AND legs than Wilson is)….a beastly running game (bad pun intended) with Lynch…..Seattle only turned the ball over 14 times this year….this team does NOT beat itself, and makes you do the same to try to beat them, they make you blink and then pounce on you (kinda like those creepy Angel Statues in Dr Who…eeeeppp)

Who will win?

This is as much a no-brainer as it gets….barring a disastrous injury, Carolina is just bringing rocks to a gun fight and this won’t even be close…..even if Seattle gets up by 2 Field Goals the quicksand will start sinking around Cam and it will probably be ugly by the time I post my Don Cherry pic on facebook during hockey night in Canada….this will be pretty brutal and I’ll be shocked if Carolina gets more than 10 points

Winner: Seattle

Game Quality: DUD (this could get ugly by half)

Sunday January 11:

1pm:

Dallas at Green Bay:

We all know the hype and all the crap that’s gone into this game….but here’s a fun stat for you….the Packers (51) and Cowboys (58) have combined for the least and the second fewest punts in the NFL this year….so the offenses will be all over the place…and certainly the story in this game!

How the Cowboys got here:

Butthurt fans aside (and really if I hear one more Steeler fan piss and whine about “bought off refs” need I remind them of the gift calls they got in the Arizona Super Bowl….and that gift of the millennium gift in the Pit-Seattle Super Bowl….but those don’t matter….or Giant fans forgetting those helmet-velcro catches….the point is…..good teams TAKE ADVANTAGE of their breaks, and bad teams cry like Crosby does, and Stafford surely cried like a bitch all game after (they had him miked, it was pitiful….man up and play the game….I’ve played enough low-end hockey games where we’ve been jobbed by the refs, playoff games too….you don’t win…or come back by whining, and I’m done talking about this now :P )…the Cowboys overcame a horrific first half (which I can vouch for I did drink enough to pass out at the half, only a text from my GF woke me up enough to see the score go up to 20-7, I should apologize for the nasty comment I sent her for reviving me….but she’s used to it by now….and they sent her to India for two weeks, so she’s sorts safe from it now….), got their offense in gear….and by God had a HUGE defensive play from a guy named Demarcus on defense in the 4th Quarter….that was certainly new! Dallas made the best of their chances and got it done….the formula stays the same here, especially in the bad weather….pound the ball….make that defense HURT and control the game….make enough plays on defense to help the offense, and pray to God that Jason Garrett doesn’t have to make the big decision….

How the Packers got here:

The best QB in the league (and probably the MVP because the NFL votes like that)….the most dangerous WR Tandem in the league in Cobb and Nelson…a bull of a running back who balances the offense and just enough playmakers on defense to get those key turnovers……I’d not call the Packer D “good” but it sure makes the most of the chances they create, and having that offense put up enough numbers to make you press sure fits into that vulture mode the Packers thrive on…..

Who will win?

These teams are pretty even on paper (Packers pass the ball a lil better, Dallas runs it better), this game is going to come down to intangibles….and quite honestly I think the Cowboys are tougher than the Packers and can push and bring the physical game to them and I’m not sure the Packers can handle that, the nasty weather should fit the Cowboys style more than the Packers….and Dallas is over the hump, usually teams that get over that hump are fast and loose…..but I’m still counting on the Cowboy toughness over the Packers finesse-type game….I just hope I stay sober for this one…..

Winner: Cowboys (why do I do this to myself??)

Game Quality: **** (anyone for an over/under on shots?)

4pm:

Indianapolis at Denver:

Its sad how the NFL screwed up the schedule this week, the 2nd best game is buried at 4pm on Saturday and this stinker in the works is in the “premiere game slot” (I get not wanting to have Green Bay in the nighttime or earlier on Sunday….but geesh…)….there should be plenty of time for Peyton Manning ass kissing in this one….I’m not too excited about this game….obviously….

How the Colts got here:

They played the Bengals last week….any other reason really need be said? :P

How the Broncos got here:

Just another typical Peyton Manning type season….out-gun a bunch of lesser teams (at least early, later one at least the Broncos started running the ball, St Louis beating the piss out of Manning might be a blessing in disguise because it made the handoffs more frequent), get a lead and let the pass rushers be pass rushers (the reason no one runs on Denver is because they’re usually too damned far ahead), but still….seeing the Manning game come up short enough in the post-season….if the AFC was stronger I’d really be nervous about banking on this team….

Who will win?

Nice to see Demarcus Ware back in post-season form….0 sacks, NO QB pressures…..that’s the guy Dallas gladly let walk and steal money from the Broncos….Manning is still Manning, but the Colts are sooo one-dimensional and ripe for the picking, the Broncos should be able to run it for 150+ and that should be enough (a further knock on Manning….8 of his 9 career playoff wins….he needed a hundred yard rusher in them)…hell watch Ware get a sack or two on this crappy Colt line and people can wax poetic about the Peyton Manning of the Defensive Line too….this game can’t end fast enough!!

Winner: Broncos

Game Quality: * ½ (I’m not optimistic here)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cam Newton were healthy, I'd give the Panthers a shot. I don't think he is, though. He's been beat up all season. Maybe he can put a big game together, and do what Russell Wilson often does. They'll need it. Carolina defense is pretty good. They can keep it close.

I don't like the Ravens in this game. I think they'll need to get a big special teams play and/or a big turnover or two, because I don't expect much from the Raven offense and I don't think the defense can stop Gronkowski and Edelman. This looks like 30-10 Patriots to me.

Wouldn't it be something if the Colts could beat Denver? The Broncos are vulnerable, but Andrew Luck can't do it all. Or can he? :D

The Cowboys could do it. They have the horses and who knows what Rodgers will have?

I don't think the Ravens are winning this one. I mean it wouldn't shock me if they do...they seem to be a totally fearless "we don't give a fvck" where we play squad. Foxboro doesn't scare them...but they're also playing the most balanced N.E. team we've seen in years, and one that has a sense of urgency to it with Brady being 38 at the start of next season and Belichick 63. You only get so many kicks at the can. I think you'll see Baltimore hang in it but N.E. pull away late 27-13 Patriots.

Also you have to factor in Baltimore just beat their biggest rival on the road while N.E. rested. That's a big emotional win for Baltimore and they might have a let down.

Edited by '7'

Yeah I agree the Pats are beating them this time, they're also sick of hearing about how the Ravens have their number too.

Honestly the only road team I see winning is Dallas, and that's mainly cause of Rodgers' health.  But on that end you also know the Packers are sick of losing home playoff games (Giants twice, Niners).

Edited by NJDevs4978

NFL network just replayed one of my favorite games of all time, when we beat the Pats and went on to win the Super Bowl. The difference makers that game: Flacco (who always plays bigger in the playoffs), Anquan Boldin, Bernie Pollard, Vonta Leecth, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. These guys aren't dressing today, and I think Brady is rested enough and looking for revenge. I am hoping it's close but Revis could be the difference maker here.

NFL network just replayed one of my favorite games of all time, when we beat the Pats and went on to win the Super Bowl. The difference makers that game: Flacco (who always plays bigger in the playoffs), Anquan Boldin, Bernie Pollard, Vonta Leecth, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. These guys aren't dressing today, and I think Brady is rested enough and looking for revenge. I am hoping it's close but Revis could be the difference maker here.

This is what the pundits keep pointing to...that this Ravens team is much different than that one (as are the Patriots).  I'm starting to feel a little better about this game, but I'm still very nervous about this one.  I think it's crucial for the Pats to get off to a strong start today.

I do feel the Ravens/Pats game is a toss up....the Ravens just have this weird karma thing with road playoff games, it was the only real x-factor I could pick from in that game....man it sucks that this is the 4pm game today....such a waste, it also sucks that we have two potential stinker games with only 8 teams left playing in the NFL still, and not even the anti-football comedic potential that Ariz/Carolina had last week

...this will only get worse when they stupidly add more playoff teams.....

DR, I meant no offense to the game or the teams in it in the comment, but even based on last week's game I punched out of Carolina and Arizona once all the Cardinal blunders were so bad it justy wasn't funny to watch anymore....don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting hard for Carolina (and Indy), I just don't give them a shot, the odds are too stacked against them

Nice game plan Bill. Outcoached again in the playoffs. Can't say I didn't see it coming.

So your BB complaining will be subdued for the next week or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976