Brett Favre traded to the Jets

DaneykoIsGod

As good a player as Brett Favre has been throughout his career -- a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, for sure -- I'd be a little leery about this acquisition if I was a huge Jets fan.

Favre likes to fly by the seat of his pants. And Mangini is a bit of a control freak. I have a hard time seeing the two of them co-existing peacefully.

Plus, Brett tried to retire twice already from the team that he loved. Would it surprise anyone if he upped and walked away if things aren't going well by midway through this season?

I agree with everything you said. His played deteriorated in the seasons previous to last years "surprise" running game in Green Bay. This is a trade merely to justify the PSL nonsense in light of the Giants winning the Superbowl.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, despite what Crasher says Brett is twice the QB Pennington is (denying it so many times sounds like he's trying to convince himself for some reason), Favre will be good for at least 4 more wins with maybe a loss or two tied directly to him so they have a shot at making the playoffs but his jersey up there already?? That's marketing at its finest :) and yeah it does look very awkward....

I'm a lifelong JETS fan and I hate this move. No way Favre can win another championship so why bother? Plus the guys is drama 24/7--we don't need that.

What? There is no way the Jets can win a championship with Pennington or Clemens at the helm either....there's no way Brett can so why bother? He's got a better shot than the other two that's why...

I get all the hate on Favre...love him or hate him, I get it but when did people start completely moving out of the realm of reality with this thing? Favre hasn't been about drama up until this whole saga began...he had opportunities too...when his father died, the pain med stuff...all of that and he continued to play great...

I'm going to come off sounding like I love the guy and frankly I just think he's fun to watch play and nothing more but you guys are ridiculous with some of the comments...then again, i guess that's why this is a hockey forum and not a football one...

I am thrilled that the New York Jet$ got Favre. Let the media go ga-ga all over Favre and all the $ guys they brought in. I EXPECT 11+ wins from the Jets now, no le$$.

Now my team can just quietly develop in the background and win games as well.

What? There is no way the Jets can win a championship with Pennington or Clemens at the helm either....there's no way Brett can so why bother? He's got a better shot than the other two that's why...

I get all the hate on Favre...love him or hate him, I get it but when did people start completely moving out of the realm of reality with this thing? Favre hasn't been about drama up until this whole saga began...he had opportunities too...when his father died, the pain med stuff...all of that and he continued to play great...

I'm going to come off sounding like I love the guy and frankly I just think he's fun to watch play and nothing more but you guys are ridiculous with some of the comments...then again, i guess that's why this is a hockey forum and not a football one...

I agree and disagree XD:

I think a healthy Pennington right now is better QB fit FOR THE JETS than Favre.

If we weren't log jammed at QB right now in Baltimore I would have LOVED to have Chad, but not Favre.

I thought Favre mentally retired three years ago and was just going through the motions, but Murphy last year got Green Bay's running game going which allowed Favre to have a comeback season.

In theory Favre's arm SHOULD allow the Jet running game with its expensive offensive line a chance to really take off, but the Jets Offense under Schottenheimer is very complex and a ball control type of attack, while Favre just flys' by the seat of Donald Drivers pants. I think Favre and the offensive line will struggle this season..

He doesn't have a better shot--he'll be 39 in October and the INT he threw in the NFC Champ game gave the win to the Giants. That is what the JETS will get out of him some decent play and then big mistakes. The guy is all drama now--honestly have you ever seen a professional athlete have success when they can't even make up their mind on what they want to do (Jordan anyone)? His commitment is clearly in question and so are his skills. It's a bad signing.

I am thrilled that the New York Jet$ got Favre. Let the media go ga-ga all over Favre and all the $ guys they brought in. I EXPECT 11+ wins from the Jets now, no le$$.

Now my team can just quietly develop in the background and win games as well.

only if you resurrect Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas

the Bills seem to be in perpetual 7-9/8-8 mode.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Chad Pennington will be released by 4:00 PM EDT Thursday.

We think the Vikings and Bears are the most sensible destinations for Pennington if he wants a chance at playing time. If he's willing to accept a clear-cut backup job, New England could be interesting with their burgeoning Jets rivalry.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/07/...-cut-at-400-pm/

As a Jets fan, I'd say I'm happy but also leery of this trade. I like that they got him for a pick. I don't like the way he's acted this offseason (and the last few). It seems every year he's doing the will-I-or-won't-I retire deal. But, I think it was proven last year that they weren't going anywhere with The Chad. I'm happy to have a QB who can throw the ball deep again.

And don't get me wrong, I liked The Chad. But it seemed that every year was the year he was going to be better and get back to form, and it never happened. Who knows if Clemens will have what it takes, but this buys the Jets another year to find out.

It will be very interesting watching tonights game, as there will be plenty of Clemens and Ainge. And I want to see Gholston in action anyway.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Decent trade for both sides. The Jets need this trade after a Giants Super Bowl win to get the fans back into the fold.

Pennington is damn near finished. Yes, he's accurate, but he can't throw downfield, and that fact helped kill the Jets running game last year. When you know the guy can't throw 20 yards downfield, you can stack the box and cover the shorter routes.

The Jets are probably going nowhere, but they buy Clemens another year, and give themselves a decent shot at the playoffs with their weak schedule. Favre is not that great, and he will throw mind-blowing interceptions, but he will also make plays no one else makes, and he should be fun to watch.

Also, the Jets were insanely lucky to make the playoffs in 2006 and that has doomed Tannenbaum and Mangini. They were a 7-9 team who caught a bunch of breaks. Last year was more to form - a rebuild takes a while, even in the NFL. But now the Jets' front office has gone into job-saving mode, which is kind of a shame.

Edited by Triumph

Don't get me wrong, despite what Crasher says Brett is twice the QB Pennington is (denying it so many times sounds like he's trying to convince himself for some reason), Favre will be good for at least 4 more wins with maybe a loss or two tied directly to him so they have a shot at making the playoffs but his jersey up there already?? That's marketing at its finest :) and yeah it does look very awkward....

I don't think CRASHER watched Pennington play last year :P

I'm one of the world's biggest Chad fans, to the point where I'll even root for him to do well if he reunites with Herm in KC :whistling: That said, he's seldom played well in bad weather or against good defenses where his lack of arm comes into play that much more. Plus last year for whatever reason (probably because he was pressing due to the whole media and fan-induced Clemens watch) he wasn't even as accurate as he used to be.

Favre's a bit of a wackjob and his worst day is below Chad's worst, but his best is also better than Chad's best and all things being equal Favre's better.

Besides, Chad had at most another year or so with the Jets anyway, Clemens and/or Ainge are the future. He would have had to make the playoffs to be here next year. Might as well let Chad go now and maybe he'll go to a team whose fanbase would appreciate him more.

Edited by Hasan4978

Decent trade for both sides. The Jets need this trade after a Giants Super Bowl win to get the fans back into the fold.

Yeah, especially with the pick's round being tied to Favre's performance.

Pennington is damn near finished. Yes, he's accurate, but he can't throw downfield, and that fact helped kill the Jets running game last year. When you know the guy can't throw 20 yards downfield, you can stack the box and cover the shorter routes.

As a Pats fan, I'm sorry to see Pennington go...he was a cinch to miss some games and not be terribly good in the games he was healthy enough to play in. That 22 TD, 6 INT season he enjoyed was a result of defenses not knowing how to play against him. Once they sized up his weak arm and made adjustments he was never close to being that good again.

The Jets are probably going nowhere, but they buy Clemens another year, and give themselves a decent shot at the playoffs with their weak schedule. Favre is not that great, and he will throw mind-blowing interceptions, but he will also make plays no one else makes, and he should be fun to watch.

I've always thought Favre was a bit overrated, especially when commentators were trying to put him in the Tiger Woods/Michael Jordan category. Those players won multiple championships and never killed themselves with the kind of mistakes that Favre makes. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both make terrific plays that no else makes, without the costly mistakes and forcing of throws. Having said that, Favre was an incredible cold-weather player and that should help him in the Meadowlands. As long as Clemens realizes that Favre makes a lot of bad decisions and doesn't try to emulate every part of Favre's game, having Favre around should help Clemens' development.

Also, the Jets were insanely lucky to make the playoffs in 2006 and that has doomed Tannenbaum and Mangini. They were a 7-9 team who caught a bunch of breaks. Last year was more to form - a rebuild takes a while, even in the NFL. But now the Jets' front office has gone into job-saving mode, which is kind of a shame.

This could be Michael Jordan with the Wizards all over again. That's the only Brett Favre/Michael Jordan comparison worth making

I think the coach and GM knew 2007 was a step back year, maybe not 4-12, but 6-10, 7-9. Last year was a season to evaluate what you have and find out who was going to be here when you win...and we found out who wont be (Robertson, Vilma etc) This year they targeted a couple of guys in free agency and got exactly what they wanted. It looks like they lucked out with a good draft, Keller will make an impact right away and Gholston is a great raw talent.

I don't think this is job saving mode, this was supposed to be the 9-7 year where they come together as a team and Clemens continues his learning, and 2009-2010 the Super Bowl run. When Favre became available you had to make a run at him, it's a chance of the perfect storm coming together right away.

This I will completely disagree with. Say what you want about the Jets, but their fans are committed, loyal, and there, Joe Walton through Rick Kotite. The Jets have a strong following, but will probably never take the mantle from the Giants in NYC.

I think the Jets made this trade to get better, and are concerned about making the playoffs to also justify the absurd PSL policy that they are about to enforce on the fans who sat through all the lean years, and now are getting the $crewjob.

Edited by LOTCB

Well.. The madden curse already hit him :

He's traded to the Jets.

LOL! Will the cover be of Favre in the Packers jersey and helmet? They may have to change that cover now to the Jets jersey and helmet.

It looks like Pennington will be traded or released sometime today by the Jets. Bad move. They should get rid of Clemmons instead. Pennington to the Bears? He would be good there for the Bears.

LOL! Will the cover be of Favre in the Packers jersey and helmet? They may have to change that cover now to the Jets jersey and helmet.

It looks like Pennington will be traded or released sometime today by the Jets. Bad move. They should get rid of Clemmons instead. Pennington to the Bears? He would be good there for the Bears.

http://www.easports.com/madden09

LMFAO :rofl:

To little surprise, the guy who was running the show in New York when Chad Pennington was drafted is now interested in bringing Pennington to his current place of employment.

Per the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins and V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells have reached out to Pennington

To little surprise, the guy who was running the show in New York when Chad Pennington was drafted is now interested in bringing Pennington to his current place of employment.

Per the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins and V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells have reached out to Pennington

Edited by SatansDevils

:P that didn't take long. I can see the Jets jerseys of Favre selling through the roof now. Gang Green all over the place with their #4 Favre Jets jerseys.

Times like these make me happy to be in Southern California :lol: