2012-13 AHL/ECHL Thread

RowdyFan42

You can watch the Clermont vs. Wedgewood shoot out here: http://titanshockey....shootout-video/

Wedgewood is getting the start against Elmira tomorrow after stopping 19 of 22 shots in 45 minutes of relief. He's 6-5-0-0 through 12 games with a 2.65 GAA and .912 SV%.

While he made all the saves Wedgewood looks small and deep in his net, I imagine a lot of white was seen by the shooters.

Any player who was on an AHL Clear Day roster is eligible to sign an AHL contract.

The more I think about it, the more Gionta would just be taking up space. The Devils know what he can and cannot do - why have guys like Mills and Gionta there? They're also going to have players who brush up against the AHL games limit, throwing another one on to the pile complicates matters further.

Albany signed Stephen Gionta today.

Edited by JWomp

Wow I just saw that Justin Schultz is leading the AHL in points.

Edmonton having a dman that isn't atrocious might actually be a boon for them. Of course Schultz is totally unproven at the NHL level, but you gotta admit signing him could be big if he's all they say he is.

I think they found some magic with Whitney and Butler together. Those two have been playing so good since they got put on a line together.

By the way, I recently noticed that Joe Whitney is only on an AHL contract. He doesnt show up on cap geek for the NJ Devils so im assuming that means hes only on an AHL contract. The kid in my opinion could be a really good NHL player. Ive always been impressed with him when I go see the Albany Devils. Question is, do you guys think the Devils have any intention of giving him a shot at the big team? and also, if he is on an AHL contract does that mean the Devils could sign him to an NHL level contract whenever they want to? Or do they need to wait till free agency when his contract is up to sign him (which every other team can do as well)? Just curious. I really like the way this kid plays, he kinda reminds me of B. Gionta. Wouldnt want to lose him.

Edited by njd3b1ink

I think they found some magic with Whitney and Butler together. Those two have been playing so good since they got put on a line together.

By the way, I recently noticed that Joe Whitney is only on an AHL contract. He doesnt show up on cap geek for the NJ Devils so im assuming that means hes only on an AHL contract. The kid in my opinion could be a really good NHL player. Ive always been impressed with him when I go see the Albany Devils. Question is, do you guys think the Devils have any intention of giving him a shot at the big team? and also, if he is on an AHL contract does that mean the Devils could sign him to an NHL level contract whenever they want to? Or do they need to wait till free agency when his contract is up to sign him (which every other team can do as well)? Just curious. I really like the way this kid plays, he kinda reminds me of B. Gionta. Wouldnt want to lose him.

NJ could sign him to an NHL contract whenever they want (when the lockout ends obviously), yeah. I'm not sure they want to, though - Whitney's a nice find for the minor league team, but he has a lot to overcome to be an NHL player.

NJ could sign him to an NHL contract whenever they want (when the lockout ends obviously), yeah. I'm not sure they want to, though - Whitney's a nice find for the minor league team, but he has a lot to overcome to be an NHL player.

What do you think he needs to overcome? I mean, I get his size is an issue. He is only 5'6 according to the Albany Devils website. But if we compare him to Brian Gionta who is an inch taller than Whitney (5'7) they are almost identical in weight. I think Gionta is a few pounds heavier. People always say that short players cannot make the NHL, but there are exceptions (even more now). When I watch Whitney I see a kid, who is small, but has the muscle to take hits, not get knocked off the puck *cough Tedenby*, has really good vision, and an above average offensive talent, yet nobody talks about this kid.

And i saw last night that he is 3rd on the A-Devs in points. 2 points behind JJ and has played 6 less games than him. Obviously points are not everything, but I don't really notice anything wrong with his defensive game either. To me he just seems like a great player who is just under appreciated because of his size.

Edited by njd3b1ink

What do you think he needs to overcome? I mean, I get his size is an issue. He is only 5'6 according to the Albany Devils website. But if we compare him to Brian Gionta who is an inch taller than Whitney (5'7) they are almost identical in weight. I think Gionta is a few pounds heavier. People always say that short players cannot make the NHL, but there are exceptions (even more now). When I watch Whitney I see a kid, who is small, but has the muscle to take hits, not get knocked off the puck *cough Tedenby*, has really good vision, and an above average offensive talent, yet nobody talks about this kid.

And i saw last night that he is 3rd on the A-Devs in points. 2 points behind JJ and has played 6 less games than him. Obviously points are not everything, but I don't really notice anything wrong with his defensive game either. To me he just seems like a great player who is just under appreciated because of his size.

No, I don't think it has very much to do with size - it's just a really hard road for players who aren't very good defensively. If Whitney isn't used on the PK by Albany, and I doubt he is, then he has to be really good offensively to get a shot. I can see Whitney being signed to an NHL contract and getting a few games as a call-up, but unless he improves significantly, he's not likely to be an NHL player. His stats in the minors and college don't really suggest an NHLer - I mean, you compare him to Brian Gionta, but Gionta scored 123 goals in college. He dominated that level.

No, I don't think it has very much to do with size - it's just a really hard road for players who aren't very good defensively. If Whitney isn't used on the PK by Albany, and I doubt he is, then he has to be really good offensively to get a shot. I can see Whitney being signed to an NHL contract and getting a few games as a call-up, but unless he improves significantly, he's not likely to be an NHL player. His stats in the minors and college don't really suggest an NHLer - I mean, you compare him to Brian Gionta, but Gionta scored 123 goals in college. He dominated that level.

I don't think there is much wrong with Whitney's defensive game. I don't noticed a lot of turnovers from him compared to some of his teammates. I don't think hes being used on the PK right now, but I think we can agree that Albany's coaching staff has been terrible so far. Some players also just take a lot longer to find their game. I just think it should be pointed out that everyone on here is making a huge deal about Josefson, (me included) but Whitney is actually producing at the same level as JJ right now. Yet he gets overlooked as a good prospect.

I don't think there is much wrong with Whitney's defensive game. I don't noticed a lot of turnovers from him compared to some of his teammates. I don't think hes being used on the PK right now, but I think we can agree that Albany's coaching staff has been terrible so far. Some players also just take a lot longer to find their game. I just think it should be pointed out that everyone on here is making a huge deal about Josefson, (me included) but Whitney is actually producing at the same level as JJ right now. Yet he gets overlooked as a good prospect.

Josefson's defense is so good that any production at the NHL level will be a bonus and may give him 17 to 18 minutes a night.

Like Jason pointed out, Josefson is already very good defensively at the NHL level with a chance of being elite. He's also younger than Whitney. Look, systems need guys like Whitney, but at the NHL level, it's real hard to crack the roster if your skill is offense but you're not good enough to play consistently in the top 9. There's a huge list of players, most of whom now play overseas, who put up superb AHL stats in the last few years but were either not given a chance or couldn't make the most of their chance.

Edited by Triumph

Like Jason pointed out, Josefson is already very good defensively at the NHL level with a chance of being elite. He's also younger than Whitney. Look, systems need guys like Whitney, but at the NHL level, it's real hard to crack the roster if your skill is offense but you're not good enough to play consistently in the top 9. There's a huge list of players, most of whom now play overseas, who put up superb AHL stats in the last few years but were either not given a chance or couldn't make the most of their chance.

I can get all that. I think the point im trying to make is that if this kid is putting up the topass offensive numbers in the minors for his team for the past two years then why wouldnt they at least sign him to a nhl contract and see how he compares in pre season. It just seems like a waste to keep trying tedenby or sestito when chances are whitney could be better.

I can get all that. I think the point im trying to make is that if this kid is putting up the topass offensive numbers in the minors for his team for the past two years then why wouldnt they at least sign him to a nhl contract and see how he compares in pre season. It just seems like a waste to keep trying tedenby or sestito when chances are whitney could be better.

That's fair. I think he'll get a look considering NJ's in need of a few wingers. I don't see why he couldn't put up 25-35 points on the third line