518 replies to this topic

#381 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Well this pretty much guarantees he will retire a Devil, so happy about that.

Pissed at the amount and what this could do to the Parise offer.

#382 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#383 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

I agree that this was surely a difficult situation to keep "loyalty" or emotion totally out of the equation, but...

The greatest of all time just took another pay cut. I think it's a little silly to get worked up about this, especially considering what this team accomplished last year. There's risk, sure, but there's risk with 95% or more of goaltenders in the NHL.

#384 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

From the other thread:

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#385 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Great for us and Marty but I am afraid of what this means for Zach...I think we are sh!t out of luck with Parise. :whistling:
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#386 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Dear God,

Thank you.

Love,
10 year old me

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#387 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

#388 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Not if he doesn't play well. If he has a first half like last season's and doesn't pull it together, and is clearly holding the team back, the Devils can't (and I believe won't) just pencil him in for 50 games. And I think Marty probably realizes this final contract is almost like a gift from Lou, for all of his contributions and for taking less than market value for all of his contracts before this one...if he's not anywhere near living up to it, and getting embarrassed, I don't think he's going to fight it if his playing time sees significant reduction.

My post was from #30's Point of view. He will expect to start 60 next season. If we sign Moose, then perhaps we'll be more likely to sit Matty in a cool stretch, and use the proven backup.
I still would prefer a young keeper as back up this coming year.

#389 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

I'm dont necessarily disagree in principle, but consider the circrumstances. The Devils had, in reality, zero NHL goaltenders before this signing. How can you expect them to not overpay or cave to MB's terms?

#390 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur has a serious "injury" after this season and can't come back. Lou knows, Lou knows.

Doesn't save you a penny on the cap, but the cap in two years is the least of our worries right now anyway.

If anyone deserves a gold watch, it's Marty. I'm just worried what giving him a gold watch means vis-a-vis what Zach told Lou.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#391 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Awful signing.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#392 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hall of Fame goalies aren't cheap boys.

I'm just happy he's back.

#393 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

If there is a lockout for a year Marty still comes back to play. BS

#394 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

It is a scary signing but you can't say, "I hope this didn't hurt signing Zach."

Lou didn't do this blindly. Either Parise was leaving anyway or he can still sign at the same price that we were gonna give him

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#395 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

What a great way to start this morning. I don't care about the money, I just wanted Marty back on this team and to be a Devil forever. I just hope he proves all the naysayers wrong.

If there is a lockout for a year Marty still comes back to play. BS

That's a big if. We might miss a half a season but the league and players know that they can't afford to miss an entire season so soon after the 05 season. I don't believe the fans will come back in droves this time.

#396 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Oh you guys know this has absolutely nothing to do with Parise's offer. Parise will either stay or go, this contract has nothing to do with it.

Glad to see Marty is sticking around... though I never truly thought he would leave. I would've been shocked. I don't think two years is that bad, and at $4.5M per, I don't think it's that bad either. What good goaltenders out there are getting paid less?

#397 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

i dont like it and im worried about a really bad fall off at some point
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#398 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm not saying it's the wrong deal to do, but at the same time this contract is pretty brutal. It's a selfish deal on Brodeur's part, but he has a right to be selfish.

I'm still of the belief that Brodeur has a lot of good hockey left to show. At least that's what I hope. But this deal doesn't say that Brodeur is all that confident in his game.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#399 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

yeah a lot of money, but I'd hate to see him pull a Roy and retire with a team other than the one he broke all his records with. Just wouldn't be right to see him play his last game in another sweater.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#400 Unknown Soul

Unknown Soul

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Now does Hedberg sign too?

I think no unfortunately. I would assume a young one will fill his role, hope he gets a job somewhere else though, I always loved the guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users