Andy Greene appreciation thread

roomtemp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh Curtis Foster.  IIRC he had a 2 goal game early on that had us all excited to have him, and then proceeded to just..destroy everything he touched.  

He wasn't awful on the PP. He was just awful at EVERYTHING ELSE. On the PP, adding his shot from the point really freed up Kovy to move around. That being said Zid does that and manages to not sh!t the bed nearly as much or as badly as Foster did.

No one will ever forget. When do you think we retire his number?

That was pretty damn good trade. Foster, Napalm, some ahler and a 2nd for Zid. Only thing of value was the 2nd rd pick.

I'm not a big zidlicky fan but that was another case of Lou pulling his magic in a steal of a trade.

Edited by dmann422

I'm not a big zidlicky fan but that was another case of Lou pulling his magic in a steal of a trade.

The Devils needed a guy with his skillset...Lou tried it with Foster, and clearly realized he needed to upgrade.  Zids has his flaws, but at least he brings some offense, and fills a need.

The Devils needed a guy with his skillset...Lou tried it with Foster, and clearly realized he needed to upgrade.  Zids has his flaws, but at least he brings some offense, and fills a need.

Zid knows how to play defense.  He just tends to make bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone.  But as far as breaking up passes, stick checking, and even can throw the occasional hit, he's still pretty good in those areas.  I'd call him average to below average defensively which is ok by me.

i wish greene wouldve gotten the C before salvador.. he seems more like captain material too. maybe hes next if he resigns here

I hope Lou actually talks to Greene during next season.  Hell even this year would be dandy.  He's another one of those guys we can't let slip away.

I hope Lou actually talks to Greene during next season.  Hell even this year would be dandy.  He's another one of those guys we can't let slip away.

i wish he would quit it with that stupid rule that he has about resigning players..clearly it isnt in the teams better interest to not negotiate keeping people until the last minute the way he does.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd bump this after Andy's 5 game point streak ended Monday night.

I'm not sure if there's a website to compare guy's value based on their statistics vs salary, but at $3.5 mil Andy is an absolute steal and I hope we lock him up before his contract ends after next season.

He may not be a "#1" dman, but he fits deboer's system like a glove and plays like one in it.

I really don't get why Andy is never mentioned for Team USA, especially on the big ice.

Because the people who run Team USA are morons.  Greene should at least be in consideration.  Instead they will take Jack Johnson.

Team USA should take into consideration these 10 guys:  Suter, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Yandle, McDonagh, Martin, Carlson, Faulk, Greene, ... and the 10th guy I don't know, really, it gets kind of murky there.  Erik Johnson?  Tom Gilbert?  Jeff Petry?  Brooks Orpik?  Not a ton of options after those first 9, and I know Martin's hurt, but yeah.

Edited by Triumph

I really don't get why Andy is never mentioned for Team USA, especially on the big ice.

I agree he should at least be in the discussion. The only guys IMO clearly ahead of him are suter, byfuglien and yandle. Then there are a bunch of guys probably ahead of him but not by much- mcdonagh, Martin, Carlson.

He's probably in the 7-12 range of best american defensemen

Edit: forgot shattenkirk. He's also ahead of Greene but the point still stands.

Edited by dmann422

Because the people who run Team USA are morons. Greene should at least be in consideration. Instead they will take Jack Johnson.

Team USA should take into consideration these 10 guys: Suter, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Yandle, McDonagh, Martin, Carlson, Faulk, Greene, ... and the 10th guy I don't know, really, it gets kind of murky there. Erik Johnson? Tom Gilbert? Jeff Petry? Brooks Orpik? Not a ton of options after those first 9, and I know Martin's hurt, but yeah.

I have a feeling fowler may get a chance. Not saying he deserves it but may get it on reputation. Also looking up Erik Johnson it appears he's been better this season but holy crap how are the Avs 19-6 when they only have 5 guys with positive Corsi numbers... Haven't watched a game of theirs but their goaltending must be through the roof.

I don't know if this was posted already:

TG: Greene Disappointed to be overlooked for Olympics

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/greene_disappointed_to_be_overlooked_for_olympics_yankee_stadium_next_for_devils-rangers/

yeah it saw that from last week... I hope (and it sounds a bit like) Andy takes it as a slight and extra motivation.