2012-2013 NHL Playoffs

MDPucks

That is BS. Zach put the team on his back, espeically in the Ranger series, last year. He was tied for the led in goals scored and had about 60 hits in a strong two way game. Minnesota, similar to the Devils this year, just doesn't have the depth on offense. You only have to defend against the Parise line against when you play the Wild. It's all about depth, when Chicago can still beat you when Toews has no points, that shows Chicago's depth.

It's not bs. Name a playoff series since 2007 that he really took over and dominated. He's getting paid almost 100m and he isn't a playoff performer at all. Take away the 5 points he got from empty netters last playoffs and he ranks 7th in points and dead last in +/- for the devils. His best series was probably the rags series but he by no means put the team on his back.

the wild are fine. they will buy out heatley. they will not buy out pommenville. you don't give up what they did for him for a one year rental.

after dumping heatley, they'll have $16MM. plenty to resign their good young RFAs and get granlund in the lineup. backstrom is not making $6M again and it wouldn't surprise me if the wild look elsewhere for someone to pair with harding.

Getting a good goalie to pair with Harding will take cap room. $16m (best possible scenario, after a Heatley buyout as you mentioned), won't go all that far in getting a good goalie and signing/re-signing 6-7 decent players on top of that..

And that's spending right UP to the cap, which is never a good thing in the offseason...

That is BS.   Zach put the team on his back, espeically in the Ranger series, last year.    He was tied for the led in goals scored and had about 60 hits in a strong two way game.     Minnesota, similar to the Devils this year, just doesn't have the depth on offense.   You only have to defend against the Parise line against when you play the Wild.   It's all about depth, when Chicago can still beat you when Toews has no points, that shows Chicago's depth.

You give the man too much credit.  He **tried** to put the team on his back.  I think part of him wondered if it was the organization keeping him from succeeding - part of him wondered if it was lack of a really solid support system.  I mean he'snot thinking these things clear as crystal in his head he's just thinking "What do I need to break out to the next level"

Well -- this is the difference between Parise and Neidermayer. 

Parise... ahhh zach zach zach... he's a mix of temperaments.  And he's not very fond of any of them - it seems he likes the idea of being one way, he comes off another way and I get a vibe it's not satisfying for him - that sort of calm Sakic way.

Then he gets angry but not full out,  His temper is so weird - it's all grumpy but not fiery and not whiney either.  

We'll see if he can move to one side or the other and find some clarity and make it all work. It's HIM though and his own vision that he needs to figure out,  The path for this man is within.  It's always within - the path was within and attainable for Neids here in NJ but it was easier our West.  (He felt like he needed to be respectful of history and tradition here in NJ and it kept him from really stepping up to the plate.)

See, I'd actually really enjoy seeing Zach break out.  I actually think he could have learned how to break through this thing if he'd stayed a little bit

longer with the Devils. It actually woudl have been better for him here.  So?  Ooops... mistakes happen.  He may get a Cup even with the Wild -- but he's not going to be satisfied until he feels he can take ownership of the win.  I don't see what he should do clearly at all -- but I see he's seeking and working hard.  Working smart as well. Hopefully he makes this a productive loss - and I'm glad he got a nice zap to his testes even though I'm sure he didn't think it would be all that easy.

That is BS.   Zach put the team on his back, espeically in the Ranger series, last year.    He was tied for the led in goals scored and had about 60 hits in a strong two way game.     Minnesota, similar to the Devils this year, just doesn't have the depth on offense.   You only have to defend against the Parise line against when you play the Wild.   It's all about depth, when Chicago can still beat you when Toews has no points, that shows Chicago's depth.

Sorry, perhaps I should have put  **seems** in quotes.  I wasn't making a statement of fact, just my impression.    I just reviewed his PPG for Regular & Playoffs, and every year except 06/07 & 07/08, the PPG drops in the playoffs and usually by about 20%.   He's still young and will have plenty of chances to make his name in the playoffs, I just hope it doesn't happen !

He put the team on his back with his four non-empty net points and -4 in the Ranger series?  It'd be less hyperbole to say Ryan Carter put the team on his back in the Ranger series.

The ONLY dominant playoff series Zach ever had was against the Lightning, when he wasn't defended like a #1 winger.  Since he's become a #1 winger he dissapeared in the postseason every year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He put the team on his back with his four non-empty net points and -4 in the Ranger series?  It'd be less hyperbole to say Ryan Carter put the team on his back in the Ranger series.

The ONLY dominant playoff series Zach ever had was against the Lightning, when he wasn't defended like a #1 winger.  Since he's become a #1 winger he dissapeared in the postseason every year.

don't tell him about the guy with the messed up back who still outplayed Parise the entire playoffs (and shot better than 5%)  :P

This may prove to be another Gomez type situation for the Devils.

Sucks to see em leave so young(ish) and full of promise, but that contract is just horrible. I thought it'd look bad a few years from now, but if he performs like this every post-season...that may come sooner rather than later

This may prove to be another Gomez type situation for the Devils.

Sucks to see em leave so young(ish) and full of promise, but that contract is just horrible. I thought it'd look bad a few years from now, but if he performs like this every post-season...that may come sooner rather than later

Ding Ding Ding ...Winner

I was thinking the same thing.....as a part of a good team they both looked great, but neither can do what a Kovi or OV can do and carry a team on his own.

2. Top-line troubles

The Wild never were the deepest team to begin with. Their second line got on a roll in March, which coincided with their best stretch of the season, but an injury to second-line center Matt Cullen in a game April 1 against the St. Louis Blues knocked him out of the lineup for two weeks.

All of a sudden, Minnesota became a one-line team again, and Parise, Coyle and captain Mikko Koivu simply could not carry the load.

Perhaps more troubling, however, was that line's struggles during the season's final month. In 16 games since April 1, including the playoffs, Koivu had two goals and two assists and was a minus-12. Parise put up four goals and five assists but was a minus-16.

Against the Blackhawks, that line combined for just one goal and two assists and was a collective minus-17. Not good enough for a team that's still a bit thin up front to begin with.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670109&navid=nhl:topheads

I'm surprised at how much Parise anomosity there is on the board now.. I seem to recall a not-to-distant past where (at least) half of you were praising his  awesomeness and declaring how you'd like to keep him instead of Kovy etc. Times sure change. :P

It's all Lundqvist...the Rags are surprisingly quick but don't have pure shooters. But Zuccarello, Hagelin...those annoying little pests can create opportunities in a hearbeat. It's just that they often don't finish.

The Rangers are also alarmingly soft. They are prone to getting beat up on the boards and that has led to some long Caps cycles in their zone where Lundqvist has bailed them out

If the Rangers win this series any of the remaining 3 can easily grind them down to dust.

I'm surprised at how much Parise anomosity there is on the board now.. I seem to recall a not-to-distant past where (at least) half of you were praising his  awesomeness and declaring how you'd like to keep him instead of Kovy etc. Times sure change. :P

Parise was well on his way to being one of the top most beloved Devils. What he did stung, but in the future he will be remembered more fondly because he vanished out west rather than sign with the Rags and rub it in our faces

People forget, Gomez was too. We loved that obnoxious smirk and playmaking talents. He'd won two cups with us and was rapidly moving up our scoring charts

Trade Lundqvist for God sakes, I actually feel for him. What a pathetic team he is on.

I don't. Let the misery continue.

It cracks me up when Nash skates backwards towards the goalie with the puck, he actually thinks he will score with his ass towards the goal lmao. The man has all the talent to be one of the greats but he sucks because he has ZERO hockey IQ. What an abysmal postseason he is having.

It cracks me up when Nash skates backwards towards the goalie with the puck, he actually thinks he will score with his ass towards the goal lmao. The man has all the talent to be one of the greats but he sucks because he has ZERO hockey IQ. What an abysmal postseason he is having.

Good.  Hope it continues into the next game.

Why in the world does Nash always turn his back to the net when he enters the offensive zone with the puck?

Wouldn't be surpised if Lundqvist signs with a team like Chicago or Minnesota after next season. 

No. He likes the attention, he likes being Mr. GQ New York strutting around everywhere acting like a Gordon Gekko level douche.

Anyone else notice on the Ward goal tonight, the position of the players were eerily similar to the Kolvalchuk goal in game 6 of the conference finals last year? Just executed differently.

An Oates special play.

I'll update when the vid comes up on youtube for Ward's.

Anyone else notice on the Ward goal tonight, the position of the players were eerily similar to the Kolvalchuk goal in game 6 of the conference finals last year? Just executed differently.

An Oates special play.

I'll update when the vid comes up on youtube for Ward's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/watch-ilya-kovalchuk-game-6-goal-devils-k-010002074.html

"Adam Oates is the New Jersey Devils assistant coach in charge of the power play, which was 2-for-20 against the New York Rangers eading into Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final. It's entirely possible he will carry around this Ilya Kovalchuk goal in his wallet, showing it to complete strangers and telling them how gorgeous it is."