Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

Weren't you saying a lot of similar things last time we inked Salvador?

He's certainly worth the money when healthy. If he isn't healthy, he's scratched and comes off the cap. If he declines, he doesn't have any clauses that would prevent Lou from shedding his contract.

This is a three-year deal that could easily end up being a zero-year deal for a defenseman who has already exceeded absolutely every Devils fans' expectations so far. How can anyone actually have a problem with this?

He isn't worth the money when healthy, and he wasn't worth the money on his last contract. He played 2nd/3rd pairing minutes throughout that deal and got beat on them. It was signed when the cap was 56.8M. Under a 70M cap, it's a great deal.

I understand people having a problem with it, I don't get people having as much problem with is as they seem to. Almost all UFA contracts are bad, this is just another bad UFA contract, seems in line with the "badness" that many other UFA deals are.

The Devils already have 7 defensemen signed for next year. So now they have 8, and will they get rid of one? Who knows!

But you see, he does bleed Devils insignias and that $9.5M is gonna look like some real smart money when he does take that next shot off the head and we sell his body to some satanic cult/med school for $99 bagillion dollars, so now look who sounds stupid.

:cheers:

I hate this deal. IMO its the 2nd worst deal we've offered anyone post-lockout (Rolston being the worst).

I like the guy, but Id rather have let him walk at this rate.

He didn't play for us in 2010-11 and it showed on our blueline. Don't underrate his true value.

I think this and Marty's signing is what Lou needed to do to keep us on Zach's radar.

I think we WILL make a trade. Once we sign Fayne, we will have 8 defenders, none of who are stars, who can all play.

No. We have alot of older defensemen who play physical games and will only see more time on the Injured list. This is a great insurance policy. I think we are going to carry 8 defenders and rotate. PDB has shown he will sit rest players and give the kids a chance.

We are in a position of strength with Sal back.

He didn't play for us in 2010-11 and it showed on our blueline. Don't underrate his true value.

I think this and Marty's signing is what Lou needed to do to keep us on Zach's radar.

Ya, when Lemaire came in, it was only turned into one of the best defenses in recent NHL memory, even with Anssi Salmela around. But Salvador was the missing link.

Ya, when Lemaire came in, it was only turned into one of the best defenses in recent NHL memory, even with Anssi Salmela around. But Salvador was the missing link.

You're right that playoff run was....oh wait we didn't make the playoffs as we floundered towards the end.

No. We have alot of older defensemen who play physical games and will only see more time on the Injured list. This is a great insurance policy. I think we are going to carry 8 defenders and rotate. PDB has shown he will sit rest players and give the kids a chance.

oh really? ok then.

Please. I highly doubt Bryce Salvador will influence Parise's next car purchase, much less his decision to stay here. Marty is a completely different beast because of who he is and his history with this club.

A year ago right now it was unknown if this guy was even going to play again. He had a decent year. He's still old and the contract is a huge risk as he's one good shot away from being taken out again or if he plays like a moron, we will have trouble moving it.

I dont mind the guy coming back. Its purely a dislike of the #s. Not to mention the fact that we have a good defense without Bryce Salvador.

This deal is horrible. I disagree it being the worst in team history. I think thats a toss-up between Rolston and (all) of the 3 M's.

It's a locker room move, and a leadership move. There are certain types of guys Lou will pay to keep around. Bro.

It's for 3 years. Probably 4, actually, since the last year will be bought out and tacked on to the end just like a lot of Lou's other leadership moves.

It's for 3 years. Probably 4, actually, since the last year will be bought out and tacked on to the end just like a lot of Lou's other leadership moves.

He needed to add the 3rd year. Salvador said he had offers from 6 teams, went back to the Devils, and Lou tacked on the 3rd year. Bryce himself said the playoffs he had made the 3rd year possible. He had a little bit of leverage and used it.

Here's my prediction. Parise still needs to talk to his fiance. if its true she's a teacher he's gone because teaching in nj is horrible. Lou uses salvador for a trade.

Salvador, tedenby, urbom, 3rd round

Ryan, 2nd round

somebody has been listening to one side a little too closely.

Tri, we often use numbers because we don't see every player play every minute of every game. So numbers are the best resource in determining how good a player was over 80+ games in a season of 300+ games of his recent seasons.

For Salvador, I happen to think he was more effective last season than his numbers suggest. I'm comfortable thinking they're doing him a bit of injustice because I saw every single play he made last season, and the seasons before.

When I have only seen a player play 20 or 30 games, I'd like to see what the numbers say and give them credence. When I've seen a player play every game I'm going to give more benefit of the doubt to my eyes.

Wouldn't buying out that last year make the deal less bad in your opinion? Because it becomes less actual money spread out over more time? The cap implication doesn't matter.