Confirmed : DeBoer is back

William D'Aquila

Well, I suppose as a Devils message board we will debate anything but I love how no matter how many times we see Lou do this, we still somewhat wonder whether or not what he says is complete bullsh!t or not.

I mean how much of a vague, bullsh!t, troll-like quote is this:

Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year, and will be coaching next year.

Edited by Neb00rs

I'm happy Pete is back for at least another year. I'm sure next year I'll be yelling or ranting about some weird decision I feel he's making but deep down, I think Pete is a great coach. It's a love/hate relationship.

Just give more talent on offense, that's all he needs.

Just not too much talent. I'd rather give him just enough guys to play so we don't have to see some sort of crazy Harrold starts over Larsson and Fayne stuff again haha. The less roster decisions Pete has to make, the happier I'll be.

Edited by PWW

Would it be worse than Sutter in Calgary? It would have been an interesting challenge for him.

Extremely happy with this news.

Sutter with Calgary is different because yeah that was obviously a horrendous career move, but he knew that it was.  That was pulling the plug on his career, and I doubt he'll coach in the NHL again.  DeBoer could still coach if he left NJ for Toronto, I think, he'd just be getting into a really awful situation where his job is constantly questioned if one of his bosses isn't in favor of the move.

I wonder if Lou does what the NY Giants do where he never lets a coach go into a season without a contract (Sutter being the obvious counter-example but Sutter was here on a series of one year deals IIRC)

Edited by Triumph

Just wait...the Devils will be 8 points into a playoff spot next year with 10 games to go and Lou will fire DeBoer and be like ""Pete DeBoer was never under contract for this year, has never been under contract for this year, and will not be coaching the rest of this year."

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet:

I know Lou Lamoriello will never confirm it...but hearing Peter DeBoer did get a 2 year extension today.

I'm happy to read this. Overall I think he's a solid coach and his system has proven to be effective, especially when the team has a bit more talent to get pucks in the net. Hopefully Lou can add an impact player on offense and that coupled with a full year of Schneider starting should have the team back in the playoffs.

My only complaints about DeBoer this year were his handling of Larsson, Josefson, and Loktionov specifically but at the end of the day, the Devils still did about as well as they could with the makeshift roster. Hopefully Larsson can earn PDB's trust next year. I wouldn't mind if they moved Josefson out for a pick or something.

I'm happy to read this. Overall I think he's a solid coach and his system has proven to be effective, especially when the team has a bit more talent to get pucks in the net. Hopefully Lou can add an impact player on offense and that coupled with a full year of Schneider starting should have the team back in the playoffs.

My only complaints about DeBoer this year were his handling of Larsson, Josefson, and Loktionov specifically but at the end of the day, the Devils still did about as well as they could with the makeshift roster. Hopefully Larsson can earn PDB's trust next year. I wouldn't mind if they moved Josefson out for a pick or something.

Larsson better have his trust, like Tri said he is waiver eligible next season.

Just wait...the Devils will be 8 points into a playoff spot next year with 10 games to go and Lou will fire DeBoer and be like ""Pete DeBoer was never under contract for this year, has never been under contract for this year, and will not be coaching the rest of this year."

Lmfao!!

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet:

I know Lou Lamoriello will never confirm it...but hearing Peter DeBoer did get a 2 year extension today.

yeah it has to be at least 2 years, why would he only sign a 1 year extension when he could definitely get more term somewhere else?

I'm glad he'll be back because I think he's a net positive for the team and some of the biggest knocks on him (Larsson, josefson and Marty) won't happen next year. The players also seem to like him.

This cracked me up. 

Like others have said, he got as much as he possibly could out of a bad team.  Not upset at all that he is coming back. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Deboer is no dummy. Toronto is a powderkeg where he'd be expected to be a savior and in short order.

While I have pounded on him a bit, I suspect Lou has some plans and opinions for the roster already at a birds eye level at least.

Good to know but nobody asked and nobody here cares.

What the hell is your problem? I wouldn't mind bringing Brian back. Why not? It's not as if he's going to want absurd money (I assume) or play a top six role (again, I assume). sh!t, I wouldn't be pissed if they brought petr sykora out of retirement.