Is it time to call out Marty?

devilsrule33

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not been good so far, but he started off 05-06 terrible, got hurt, then came back and played the best hockey of his career to date.

He's not Patrick Roy - Patrick Roy was the greatest goalie of all time. Brodeur can break all of his regular season records and I will still believe that - because he will never come close to Patrick Roy's playoff overtime record. So, no, Brodeur will never have a Roy in 93 season, that time has passed.

And no, I can't think of a series he stole, although 2003 in Ottawa comes damn close - go watch that game again and tell me Brodeur's not great. 2000 he bounced back from playing abysmal in Game 4 to have a tremendous rest of the series. The Devils have never had a team poor enough where he's had to steal a series.

And no, I can't think of a series he stole, although 2003 in Ottawa comes damn close - go watch that game again and tell me Brodeur's not great. 2000 he bounced back from playing abysmal in Game 4 to have a tremendous rest of the series. The Devils have never had a team poor enough where he's had to steal a series.

To add to this, how often do you see a goalie steal an ENTIRE SERIES???

It's rare. In fact, can anybody provide an example of a goalie stealing an entire playoff series? I'd love to hear some examples.

Goalies can steal you a couple games in a series, most definitely. And I believe Brodeur has done that.

Yes, Marty has stolen games and series and has stood on his head. Of our 3 cups, I think 95 was his best playoff year. He played out of his mind that season, and if Peppy Lemieux hadn't scored all those clutch goals, he would have been awarded MVP.

In 2000, Stevens really was the best player on the ice.

In 2003, Brodeur was pretty amazing again, but we did have a whole lot of contributions that playoff year since it was our worst of the 3 cup teams and we really had to pull as one.

Still, anyone who says Brodeur isn't in the top 3 goalies of all-time is just flat out nuts. Even in 96 when this team missed the playoffs, Brodeur was nuts most nights. Sometimes the argument is amount of saves, but in the old trap system NJ played, he may have only had 20 shots some nights, but the amount of quality shots was just as much if not more than other teams allowing 30 shots. A trap system still requires a sick goalie.

And Brodeur never gets credit for the years we haven't played the trap, or when we lead the league in goals which most people don't remember.

Right now--Marty looks a little human, but he's got a ridiculous group of defenders supporting him. He should be a little bit better too, and I'm sure he'll have a good season when all is said and done, because a season is still 82 games last time I checked, and a career still encompasses all the games a player has played (not just 10 or so).

Hail to the king, long live Brodeur.

Marty hasn't been terrible since the big road trip ended. The game in which he was pulled against Pittsburgh was more to save him than a punishment, not one of those five goas were on him. He let in one bad one against the Rangers, and he has Mike Mottau, Karel Rachunek, and Johnny Oduya in front of him.

He's definately not having a good year, but he's not having an awful one when all things are considered. Give it a little more time before we rip Marty a new one.

The only reason Henrik Lundqvist is having such a stellar year is because the Rangers are playing the trap, but of course no one in New York is complaining about that nowadays...

I think part of Marty's problem is that he doesn't trust the "D". He's over thinking out there, trying to do too much to compensate.

This is very true, if you think of the Dawes goal in the game Wednesday. He looked hesitant on it, like he was waiting for the pass across and didn't trust the defenseman to stop it. Same with the Staal goal. Looked like he wanted to commit, but couldn't.

Of course, Staal had about a half an hour to pick his shot, considering the awesome pressure the D put on him. :rolleyes:

As for Marty stealing a series, the Ottawa series Triumph mentioned and the 3 shutouts in the 2003 Finals comes to mind. He pretty much shut down Philly from Game 3 on in 95, and continued against Detroit.

Also, he was pretty unbeatable against the Rangers in 2006, for a more recent example.

Everyone is blaming the defense, but what is marty there for? to stop the puck when the defense doesn't and he hasnt been doing the best job. When your team is only going to score 1,2 goals, you need to make sure the other team isnt putting in more. im not saying get rid of Marty, but dont place the blame on everyone EXCEPT Marty. He's getting paid to be the last line of defense, just as Marty cant stop every puck, neither can the defense..where the medium

Marty is one of the greatest ever, if not THE greatest ever because of his uncanny consistancy. Roy is only one comparable. This year, the entire team is in flux so Marty's play is going to suffer just like everybody else's. Has Marty had some soft goals? Yeppers. Could he playing better? Sure...who couldn't? But I can't pin a large precentage of the teams' struggles on Marty. As last said, Marty has played very well since the road trip ended. Not one of the goals in the 5-0 Pittsburgh debacle can be blamed on him. When Sid netted his second, I clapped...it was that damn pretty.

When the team plays bad as a team, everyone should share the blame equally. But to incinuate that Marty is to blame for teams troubles just shows how some people just need a scapegoat when times get rough. He deserves a piece of the blame, but not a big one.

Edit : And to say the defense "hasn't been doing the best job" isn't painting the whole picture. The Dev's rank 29th in the league defensively...

Edited by Bulletproof

no.

I don't consider past years, I would only look at this year, and IMO its too early yet.

Even excluding our 4 SO against this year, our GF avg is a measly 3 !!

Including them it's like 2.3 GF a game

Brodeur cannot be held accountable for 4 SO against in 18 games.

He is playing below his high standards, but neither the coach, the D, nor the keeper, have found any sort of groove yet.

He has no confidence in his D, and prolly not much in himself now.

When we lose several games games 5-4, or 4-3, then the fans can get on him.

Until then give him 10-15 more games to see where he is at.

Marty hasn't had the best start. I agree that the defense being bad doesn't help. However he's given so much to this team that I just can't rag on him.

Last year he just played too many games and was burnt out, plus the team wasn't good enough to get farther than it did anyway.

It's a vicous cycle; Marty gets tentative because the D stinks, the D gets tense because Marty's not a brick wall so far.....I put my faith in Marty before the defense.

Maybe he's thinking too much. Ken Dryden wrote that he played his best when he just kinda disconnected his mind and let his body react instinctively. Maybe Marty's thinking too much...

As far as I'm concerned, Marty was called out when Scott Clemmensen was let go in favor of signing Kevin Weekes.

How long did that last? Weekes has started three of the first 20 games, and one was only because Marty had 'personal reasons' to miss the game.

dr, Marty's 35, 36 now? You can't expect him to play like a Luongo when he's 25. He was great last year with a slightly better than average defense overall. Some of the subpar games Marty's had haven't even cost the team really because the offense picked that night to chip in (the Pittsburgh and Atlanta games back-to-back) or because the team as a whole was bad enough that night where it didn't matter. Just because he's had a subpar start to this year doesn't diminish what the man's done over his career.

And defense does matter too, the great King Henry across town stunk the first half of last year before the Rangers started playing the trap and since then he's been a wall.

Edited by Hasan4978

As far as I'm concerned, Marty was called out when Scott Clemmensen was let go in favor of signing Kevin Weekes.

How do you figure? He's not a kid anymore in hockey terms. I don't know about you, but I don't want him playing as many games as he did last year. Plus it's always good to have a backup the team is comfortable with. Calling him out would be having a hotshot young goalie sitting on the bench waiting his turn to take over.

So far Kevin Weekes has done exactly what he was brought in to do, and that wasn't to threaten Marty.

Calling out marty will accomplish nothing. With that said he's had like two great games all year, and a large number of bad games. I have not been impressed for someone who is supposedly the greatest goalie of all time. He is too proud to let this continue though and he knows he needs to make more stops.