Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

We also don't know if the Mets are planning on making a huge splash this winter with their young arms, in which case keeping Colon is even more important than the "you can never have enough pitching" spiel. 

At his age and weight, I think the Mets are really rolling the dice in keeping him around for 2015.  And $11 million is sadly a lot of money for this team.  The Mets could use that. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They definitely need his $11 million if they're going to indulge the fantasy of bringing in Tulo or CarGo.

And if Colon loses it between 2014 and 2015, that's $11 million of instant dead money.  I'm not taking that chance, especially on a team that is clearly financially hamstrung.

At his age and weight, I think the Mets are really rolling the dice in keeping him around for 2015.  And $11 million is sadly a lot of money for this team.  The Mets could use that. 

I really think the weight thing gets overblown - he's been fat for awhile. And despite his age, he's really no different than the pitcher he was last season besides the fact he's not getting the lucky breaks he had in Oakland. 

Edited by nmigliore

Also, to be clear, if I were a betting man, I'd say he's moved in August. If a team claims him, Mets could quite literally dump him for nothing and save the $11 million. I think that'll say a lot (in a bad way) about their finances if they're willing to do that, though. 

Edited by nmigliore

I really think the weight thing gets overblown - he's been fat for awhile. And despite his age, he's really no different than the pitcher he was last season besides the fact he's not getting the lucky breaks he had in Oakland. 

Actually, his numbers over the last four seasons are pretty similar...his WHIP has actually been going down, amazingly enough.  And his numbers compare very favorably to last year's on most fronts. 

But again, for how long can this continue?  Do you want to bet $11 million of a financially-limited team's money that a 41-year-old with a shaky physique is a lock to keep pitching effectively?  Not me. 

Also, to be clear, if I were a betting man, I'd say he's moved in August. If a team claims him, Mets could dump him for nothing. I think that'll say a lot about their finances. 

Hope so. 

Ironically CC Sabathia had more health problems after losing his weight than before.  Of course it could have been a case of mileage catching up regardless.  But yeah I'm not so worried about Colon's weight, far more his actual age.

Passive's quotes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/92358/alderson-mets-were-active-not-super-active

He could just be truthful and to-the-point and admit he wasn't going to do sh!t today unless something fell into his lap...we all knew that was going to be the case anyway, so I'm not ticked off about it.  All I gotta say is perhaps the major league's laziest GM better come to life this offseason.   

Yankees made a nice trade. Basically sending a AA catcher and a ptbnl or cash to the Dbacks for Martin Prado. Prado would've been perfect for us (until you look at his salary) can play LF or 2b. But the Yankees have the $ and are desperately trying to be relevant this year.

Allen Craig was also an intriguing buy-low pickup we could've jumped on for LF. He is kind of better suited for 1B and he may actually be broken, but he was one of the best hitters in the league from 2011-2013. His contract is a bargain if he bounces back but a burden (on our payroll anyway) if he remains awful. Of course the Red Sox can take that risk since they play in a big city/market while we.......yeah. 

Edited by nmigliore

Montero with one of his best starts of the season:  6.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.  In his three AAA starts since making his low-level rehab appearances:  15.2 IP, 14 H, 6 ER, 6 BB, 15 K.  Only 3 BB in his last 11.2 IP.  Very small-sample stuff, but at least the seeds for a little optimism can be planted with a couple more starts where Montero starts pitching more like the Montero who threw an insane amount of strikes. 

Herrera went 2-for-5 last night and is now batting .344 in 153 AA at-bats.  He's been incredibly steady since his promotion.  The only real knock on him is that his BB-to-K ratio isn't the best, but that's par for the course in the majors these days. 

Who knows what will happen, but I have a feeling the Mets are going to re-sign Murph (4 years, maybe 5) and make Herrera part of a package (along with some young arms) for someone that can impact the Mets' offense in 2015...more and more I'm feeling that his future as a major-leaguer simply isn't going to be as a Met.  As much as I'm intrigued by Herrera and his upside, with Murph we at least know for sure what we're getting going forward for the next few years, especially at the plate...he'll bat somewhere between .280-.300, get on base at about a .330-.340 clip, be among the league leaders in doubles, and hit around 10-15 home runs.  Overall he'll give the Mets roughly average defense at second.  It's not spectacular stuff (though pretty good for a second baseman), but at least we can count on it.  If Herrera and other bodies bring back something terrific and that player does what we all hope, I can't really quibble about losing him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This series really worries me. Giants had lost 6 straight before beating the pirates....they're sort of "due" to start winning, and they're tagging Niese early (though he didn't help his cause as once again a Met pitcher can't throw to 2nd)

Man has David Wright had some prolonged stretches of suck at the plate this year. 

And Niese's old bugaboo of letting innings get away from him is rearing its ugly head more and more.  So done with him. 

hitting the pitcher in the 7th. The hell was that about?

Don't know, but between his penchant for injuries and innings like this one, I'm done.  Make him a 5th starter whose turn you can skip on occasion, but nothing more than that.   

Peavy on the hill tomorrow for SF.

1-10 and he's pitched terribly, so watch him dominate us

I'm hopeful. 

I'm saddened by David Wright, I really am.  He's so average now.  Just really sad to see.

Well with Wright it would actually be more encouraging if he were hurt and hiding it (I suspect he is) rather than healthy and just fading fast.

His throws to 2nd and 1st seem weaker than normal. I think he has some shoulder issues.

If that's the case, the Mets should probably just shut him down.  If they are going to continue to act like he's Wright circa 2008, then they need to make sure he's as healthy as he can be in 2015.  They'll need his 15-20 HR and 80-90 RBI (all I can hope for from him at this point).

One of those days where the Met offense is nowhere to be found.  Oh well.

Did anyone notice the Mets entered the night only 5.5 back in the Wild Card race? The NL is so damn weak this year. It's really a shame they didn't have Harvey. 

Didn't really get to watch this one outside of the first few innings. Glad I didn't. At least Duda keeps mashing. 20 homers is a nice milestone. 

Syndergaard tonight: 6 IP, 0 runs, 0 BB, 7 K, 7 groundouts to 1 flyouts. He's at 107 pitches so he should be done.... very nice.

Edited by nmigliore

Noah's numbers over his last five starts:

29.1 IP, 32 H, 9 ER (7 of them came in one start), 8 BB, 34 K, 2.76 ERA 

Sabes guys will always gloss over hits allowed, but where Noah is right now, the glossing over is warranted.  32 H in 29.1 IP is pretty good there.

Glad to see that pitching in the PCL didn't get inside his head.,.his control has remained a strength.  Now get him out of there already!