Brodeur out 3-4 Months

jkrdevil

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rupture of the distal biceps tendon at the elbow joint is much less common and accounts for less than 5% of biceps tendon ruptures. This injury is also usually found in middle-aged patients, although not always. There is usually some degree of tendinosus, or degenerative changes within the tendon, that predisposes the patient to rupture of the tendon.

The significance of a distal biceps tendon rupture is that without surgical repair, patients who experience complete rupture of the distal biceps tendon will notice loss of strength at the elbow. The strength will affect both the ability to bend the elbow against resistance, and the ability to turn the forearm to the palm-up position against resistance (for example, turning a doorknob or screwdriver).

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shouldersu...psrupture_3.htm

What are the symptoms of distal biceps tendon rupture?

Distal biceps tendon rupture is characterized by sudden pain over the front of the elbow after a forceful effort against a flexed elbow. Usually the patient will hear a snap and have pain where the tendon rupture occurs. Swelling and bruising around the elbow are also common symptoms of distal biceps tendon rupture.

What is the treatment of distal biceps tendon rupture?

Most patients will experience benefit if the biceps tendon is repaired surgically. If the tear is incomplete, or if the patient is very low-demand (not active), then surgery may not be needed. However, most patients who want more normal use of their arm will benefit from surgery to repair the ruptured tendon to the bone.

elbow_distal_biceps_rupture_surg01.jpg

Oh this is great - this has pictures and the whole nine yards:

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_ed...ps_rupture.html

Edited by Pepperkorn

I knew it, i fvcking called this all the way. God damn it! After 25 years of following this team, i know better then to trust anything that comes out of that team's mouth, especially LL about injuries. You just know Martin's "Upper body" is something more.

"Bruised elbow" LOL As i said, the Devils calling that a bruised elbow was an insult to fans intelligence and anyone who believed it should have learned a lesson not to believe anyhting you hear but what you see.

There were signs of it being worse if you understand the Devils way. The big clue was not hearing from Brodeur.

So SueNJ, i guess i shouldn't have been so scared after all about that MRI after all, huh?

I knew it, i fvcking called this all the way. God damn it! After 25 years of following this team, i know better then to trust anything that comes out of that team's mouth, especially LL about injuries. You just know Martin's "Upper body" is something more.

"Bruised elbow" LOL As i said, the Devils calling that a bruised elbow was an insult to fans intelligence and anyone who believed it should have learned a lesson not to believe anyhting you hear but what you see.

There were signs of it being worse if you understand the Devils way. The big clue was not hearing from Brodeur.

So SueNJ, i guess i shouldn't have been so scared after all about that MRI after all, huh?

I had a feeling this was going to be a bad one too. When has no news regarding injuries with this team EVER been good news?

I guess we'll now also get a taste of what attendance is going to be like in the post-Brodeur era. I'm sure some fans have already given up on the season.

Do you think we stick with Weekes? Or maybe go trade for a goalie?

Probably stick with Weekes and see how it goes in a few weeks when the skaters come back. The Devils, as a very depleted team, played 2 really good periods last night so I don't think the team will be in a rush to get a goalie because it'd be hard to be sure you were significantly upgrading over Weekes anyway.

To be fair to the Devils the original diagnosis could have been bruised elbow. If you remember what Weekes said that other day who had a similar injury last year his was originally diagnosed as a brused elbow.

This sucks, and seriously puts a damper on our division crown chances.

Jesus. Brodeur out for four months, Greene out for a month, and Rolston and Holik both out a couple more weeks.

Get ready for a very unhealthy dosage of Madden, Pandolfo and Langenbrunner each night.

This team has had the luxury of having Brodeur behind them making 4 or 5 amazing saves each night. I have no idea they adapt to play a different game.

Even bigger this team won't have the luxury of having what amounts to a third defensemen back there to help start the breakout. That means gettng bottled up in the zone like last night a lot.

Even bigger this team won't have the luxury of having what amounts to a third defensemen back there to help start the breakout. That means gettng bottled up in the zone like last night a lot.

I think that was the biggest problem in the first period, the team adjusting to the lower puck handling ability combined with a heavy forecheck. The Devils got better at it as they adjusted.