Concerts

Devils Dose

Starland is a fire trap waiting to happen with the way they cram people in there. Velvet Revolver on new years eve a few years back was so packed it was impossible to move 2 inches in either direction. Awesome show though. That place is great if it's just under capacity. Sold out shows are not good at all. Haven't been to the House of Blues yet, hoping to go see Cinderella down there soon though.

I'm with ya here, my favorite shows at Starland are the ones that don't sell out. I saw Eve 6 there a few years back and it didn't sell well apparently, as they had two of the three bar areas closed off. Even still, there was plenty of room to move around and hang out. The older I get, the more I cherish the spots in the back or to the sides of the stage, nearest to the bars. :cheers:

Some others I want to see:

U2

Ringo Starr

Weezer

Santana

Roger Waters

REO Speedwagon

U2's tour has been postponed for 1 year (Bono's surgery).

Apparently they're telling people who bought tickets (not me thankfully) to hold onto them for next year instead of seeking a refund.

Edited by Devils Dose

I may be going to the free RXP thing at Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Saturday. A bunch of bands are playing there, they claim, though I don't know that they've listed any. Still, its free music from 12 PM until 12 AM it seems, so it sounds like a good deal.

I may be going to the free RXP thing at Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Saturday. A bunch of bands are playing there, they claim, though I don't know that they've listed any. Still, its free music from 12 PM until 12 AM it seems, so it sounds like a good deal.

Free RXP thing? I haven't heard anything about this...I'm intrigued.

Edit: After doing some research:

Afternoon:

LAST PERFECT THING

THE SUNDAY BLUES

JON CASPI

COLIE BRICE AND THE NEW AGE BLUES EXPERIENCE

MIKE ROCKET

Evening:

Outside the Box at 8

Jesse Malin at 9:30

John Eddie at 11:15

Last Perfect Thing and Jesse Malin make it totally worth it. Don't know any of the others. Might have to see about heading down there for this...

Edited by thelastonealive

Saw the Bon Jovi concert last night at the New Giants stadium! He put on a awesome show ! 2 hours and 45 minute set. The Stadium is HUGE Wide concourses..... Made with HEAVY Duty Steal and concrete. Its anly about 80% finished........ lots of inside construction still needed to be done... and lots of the concessions were not open! small part of the old giants stadium is still up. and the strange part of that is they left gate A standing even though they tore down that part of the building first, so its just the escalator and spirals standing in the middle of nothing.

anyways great stadium and great show!

• 2 weeks later...

Free RXP thing? I haven't heard anything about this...I'm intrigued.

Edit: After doing some research:

Afternoon:

LAST PERFECT THING

THE SUNDAY BLUES

JON CASPI

COLIE BRICE AND THE NEW AGE BLUES EXPERIENCE

MIKE ROCKET

Evening:

Outside the Box at 8

Jesse Malin at 9:30

John Eddie at 11:15

Last Perfect Thing and Jesse Malin make it totally worth it. Don't know any of the others. Might have to see about heading down there for this...

I saw Jesse Malin open up for Gaslight in October. The guy was a total dick and everyone cheered once he got off the stage, he was in some sort of land of disillusion the entire time.

Just a note to anyone going to see Iron Maiden on the current Final Frontier World Tour, it looks like they are playing songs mostly from their last four albums. So unless you are a diehard Maiden fan, you might want to think twice before making the committment to this one. Here are the setlists from the first three shows so far:

Dallas (6-9):

01. The Wicker Man

02. The Ghost Of The Navigator

03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

04. El Dorado

05. Paschendale

06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

07. These Colours Don't Run

08. Blood Brothers

09. Wildest Dreams

10. No More Lies

11. Brave New World

12. Fear Of The Dark

13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of the Beast

15. Hallowed Be Thy Name

16. Running Free

Houston (6-11):

The Wicker Man

Ghost Of The Navigator

Wrathchild

El Dorado

Dance Of Death

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin

These Colours Don't Run

Blood Brothers

Wildest Dreams

No More Lies

Brave New World

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

Encore:

The Number of the Beast

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Running Free

San Antonio (6-12):

The Wicker Man

Ghost Of The Navigator

Wrathchild

El Dorado

Paschendale

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin

These Colours Don't Run

Blood Brothers

Wildest Dreams

No More Lies

Brave New World

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

Encore:

The Number of the Beast

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Running Free

These shows were nothing like the ones from the Somewhere Back in Time Tour of 2008, which contained many of the classics. Still though, even though I'm not familar with most of these newer tunes, it's still Maiden, so I'll be at the PNC show on July 11.

Edited by 95Crash

I talked them up quite a bit in the old concerts thread, but holy god ...soihadto... are an awesome live band. Just saw them for the second time tonight. They're Duff Goldman's band (the guy from Ace of Cakes), and they're amazing instrumental prog rock, very loud. If I had to put a name to it, it'd be Tool meets Pink Floyd, sans vocals. HIGHLY recommend checking them out if you get a chance. Their CD, while good, does not do the live sound justice.

With this one out of the way, I'm down to 2-3 shows for the summer. Warped Tour in July (which I'm not really that interested in since Bouncing Souls are dropping off the tour THE FRIGGIN DAY BEFORE), Lollapalooza in August (which is going to be an amazing five-day roadtrip adventure), and possibly The National at Terminal 5 in NYC in late July.

Thanks for the heads up 95Crash, I've been hesitant to buy tickets since my one friend who is a diehard Maiden fan said when he saw them about 4 years ago they pretty much just played their new CD, and I don't want to see them do something like that. I'm sure I'll end up going anyway, Fear of the Dark and Hallowed be thy Name might be enough to draw me in, plus even though they aren't as awesome as the old stuff, I like a few of the new songs on those setlists you posted.

Edited by devilsfan26

Just got back from Bonnaroo.

Highlights:

Flaming Lips (got to watch from the stage!!) Ill be posting photos. They did a full Flaming Lips set followed by The Dark Side of the Moon.

LCD Soundsystem (3am to 5am, danced myself stupid)

Kid Cudi (Few hours after he got arrested in NYC for some drug thing and breaking someones door down)

Weezer (Rivers gave a super energized performance the night of his 40th b-day.)

Gaslight Anthem (jersey represent)

Deadmau5 (another 3 am rage-fest)

Here are some shots I got.

http://froston.tumblr.com/#695522631 - deadmau5

http://froston.tumblr.com/#695503643

http://froston.tumblr.com/#695785298 - Jay-Z

Thanks for the heads up 95Crash, I've been hesitant to buy tickets since my one friend who is a diehard Maiden fan said when he saw them about 4 years ago they pretty much just played their new CD, and I don't want to see them do something like that. I'm sure I'll end up going anyway, Fear of the Dark and Hallowed be thy Name might be enough to draw me in, plus even though they aren't as awesome as the old stuff, I like a few of the new songs on those setlists you posted.

My friend is extremely bummed that they are hardly playing any of the classics. But I don't mind it as much just because it's the weekend and I still get to hang out and tailgate in the parking lot beforehand. Which newer songs should I look out for?

My friend is extremely bummed that they are hardly playing any of the classics. But I don't mind it as much just because it's the weekend and I still get to hang out and tailgate in the parking lot beforehand. Which newer songs should I look out for?

To be honest with you, I'm not that familiar with most of the newer stuff, which is weird since I wasn't even around when most of the older albums came out, but out of what appears in those setlists, I kinda like Paschendale, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Dance of Death, and No More Lies. It's different though, if you're trying to measure it up against songs like Aces High and The Trooper you're going to be disappointed, but in my opinion if you just think of it as a separate band then it's better since you don't have such high expectations that way.

I guess I'm one of the only country guys here... Seeing Toby Keith tomorrow night @ PNC. The guy puts on a great concert every year and for several years in a row kicks it off here in Jersey. Last year he played an unpublicized set @ the Stone Pony hours before the PNC concert last year. This year, a band called "Incognito Bandito" played the Irving Plaza last night (it was Keith with his session band covering some of the greatest classic rock songs ever).

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to DMB w/ Zac Brown Band at Hershey in July and Benjamin Burnley (of Breaking Benjamin) doing an acoustic set in Atlantic City next month. BB killed the rock back in February.

Heads-up. A couple of people mentioned that they had tix to see Weird Al.

Ticketmaster issued an alert tonight. Weird Al's show this Sunday, June 27, at 8 pm, has been moved from the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel to the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park on the same date and time. All tickets for the PNC performance will be honored at the Paramount Theatre.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Faith No More at Williasmburg Waterfront in Brooklyn last night. Cool place to see a show. New York City skyline right behind the audience. Only thing I didn't like was the beer garden was gated off and to the side. But if you get there early enough, you'll probably hit one of the local bars beforehand anyway. Street parking. No meters.

Saw Faith No More at Williasmburg Waterfront in Brooklyn last night. Cool place to see a show. New York City skyline right behind the audience. Only thing I didn't like was the beer garden was gated off and to the side. But if you get there early enough, you'll probably hit one of the local bars beforehand anyway. Street parking. No meters.

I wish I could have made at least one of those shows. I'm seeing Primus there in a couple weeks and obviously have never been there. Did you drive in? If so, how's the parking situation around there, garages, street, etc? Just want to know what to expect since the show is at 6:00 on a Friday and the commute there should be lovely.

I wish I could have made at least one of those shows. I'm seeing Primus there in a couple weeks and obviously have never been there. Did you drive in? If so, how's the parking situation around there, garages, street, etc? Just want to know what to expect since the show is at 6:00 on a Friday and the commute there should be lovely.

What time are you driving in? I was lucky enough to drive in early last Friday and traffic was amazingly light going that way. I took the GWB. I didn't look for a parking lot because there were plenty of free spots on the streets.

My updated concert calendar:

July 18th - Warped Tour - Monmouth Park

July 27th - Flaming Lips - Terminal 5

July 30th - Spiritualized - Radio City Music Hall

July 31st - Gogol Bordello/River City Extension - Starland Ballroom (maybe)

August 6th-8th - Lollapalooza - Grand Park, Chicago

Considering The National in September at Wellmont Theater in Montclair, Muse in October at The Rock, and Phoenix in October at MSG. These will depend on how my money and job situations look post-Lollapalooza.

July 31st - Gogol Bordello/River City Extension - Starland Ballroom (maybe)

After seeing Gogol Bordello open for Rage Against the Machine a month ago, I can't wait to have another chance to see them again. I wish I could go to that show but my friend's birthday is that night.

After seeing Gogol Bordello open for Rage Against the Machine a month ago, I can't wait to have another chance to see them again. I wish I could go to that show but my friend's birthday is that night.

They're opening for Primus in Williamburg the night before, although it's a double bill so they'll probably play more than the typical 30-40 minute opening slot. As for your question above, I'm hoping to get there early but would probably be taking the Holland tunnel. Free street parking sounds fine to me unless that area is overly shady.

I'm hoping to get there early but would probably be taking the Holland tunnel. Free street parking sounds fine to me unless that area is overly shady.

Nope, not overly shady. I think everyone parks on the streets around there. On the side streets, there are some cool bars and semi-trendy shops mixed in with some warehouses. Also Brooklyn Beer brewery is a couple of blocks down, but it doesn't open to the public till 6:00.

They're opening for Primus in Williamburg the night before, although it's a double bill so they'll probably play more than the typical 30-40 minute opening slot.

I saw Gogol headline a show in December ... the set was only about an hour long. So if you get stuck with a relatively short set, it really won't be a whole lot off from what you'd see otherwise.

They're a great show, though. Just brief.

That's actually my birthday as well, that's why I'm thinking about it even though they're playing Lolla the next week