Concerts

Devils Dose

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone been to a concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn? If so, how were the seats? Someone warned me to avoid the upper bowl because the seats are so high up compared to other arenas. Does anyone have any experiences from that arena that they can share?

Has anyone been to a concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn? If so, how were the seats? Someone warned me to avoid the upper bowl because the seats are so high up compared to other arenas. Does anyone have any experiences from that arena that they can share?

Saw Dave Matthews Band there last winter

Had GA floor, show was sick...the 200 level does look like it is pitched verrrrryyyy steep

Floor or 100 level near the stage you should be fine

I would personally avoid the 200 level if at all possible.

Good luck!

I was at Braclay's for the Islanders/Devils pre-season game back in September and my seats were about the 4th row from the very top.  What I remember most that it was very dark and steep up there and had to use the flashlight feature on my iphone to see where I was stepping and the seat numbers.  It did feel like we were higher up than comparable seats at the Rock.

I was at Braclay's for the Islanders/Devils pre-season game back in September and my seats were about the 4th row from the very top.  What I remember most that it was very dark and steep up there and had to use the flashlight feature on my iphone to see where I was stepping and the seat numbers.  It did feel like we were higher up than comparable seats at the Rock.

I was also at that game...but about 4 rows from the ice instead of from the top lol. The arena is a nice place, the seats were nice, in my opinion. Only thing I can really complain about is that I was on line for a burger for 30 minutes :( If you sit in the upper level, you can order food from your seat and go pick it up...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from the 200s at Barclays unless I get first row or something.

DM84, just curious, how comfortable were the seats up there? I heard that those seats are small with little leg room, much like at the Rock. How would you compare the two?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from the 200s at Barclays unless I get first row or something.

DM84, just curious, how comfortable were the seats up there? I heard that those seats are small with little leg room, much like at the Rock. How would you compare the two?

Pretty much exactly the same as the Rock 200-level seats in terms of room and comfort.  I think the fact at how friggin dark it was up there really annoyed me as without the flashlight feature on my iphone I wouldnt have seen where I was going or what seat # I was in.  If it was that bad for a hockey game with the lights blaring on the ice I can't imagine how dark it will be up there for a concert.

• 3 months later...

May 1, 2014

Holmdel cracks down on parking lot activities at PNC Bank Arts Center

HOLMDEL – As the summer concert season nears, thousands of tailgaters and band superfans are preparing for the inevitable parking lot parties that often accompany major touring bands – but if they are coming to the PNC Bank Arts Center, they might want to leave their fun at home.

On Tuesday, the Holmdel Township Committee effectively banned tailgating at venues seating more than 4,000 people – targeting the 7,000 seat PNC Bank Arts Center.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2014/05/holmdel_bans_pnc_bank_arts_center_tailgating_ahead_of_summer_concerts.html

Apparently, that initial report was incorrect.

May 1, 2014

Official: Tailgating Ban At PNC Bank Arts Center Doesn’t Apply To Concerts

NEW JERSEY (CBSNewYork) — New rules are being put in place for the parking lot at PNC Bankicon1.png Arts Center and at least one report said the rules included a ban on tailgating for summer concert season.

Town officials, however, say it isn’t so.

As WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond reported, the headlines may have had some concertgoers crying in their beer, but as Homdel’s Administrator Donna Vieira explained, “this ordinance has nothing to do with tailgating.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/official-tailgating-ban-at-pnc-bank-arts-center-doesnt-apply-to-concerts/

The Arts Center is quite possibly the worst venue in the entire Tr-State area to see a concert at.  I refuse to go see any act there and will actually pay more and travel further to see a group perform at a different venue than at the Arts Center.

The Arts Center is quite possibly the worst venue in the entire Tr-State area to see a concert at.  I refuse to go see any act there and will actually pay more and travel further to see a group perform at a different venue than at the Arts Center.

really? i dont mind it i like going there actually.

really? i dont mind it i like going there actually.

It's a complete sh!thole since Live Nation bought it in the mid to late 90's.

Back when it was the Garden State Arts Center, it was a smaller facility and acted more like an outdoor version of NJPAC.  It worked well then.

However, when Live Nation bought it, they renovated it to expand the permanent seating beyond the edges of the roof (dumb as hell idea) and they built up the lawn area to make it a huge hill.  Here are my problems with it:

1) The lawn area isn't a lawn, it's dirt that is barely maintained and not given enough (rest) to regrow.  When it rains its a mud sh!thole and Live Nation sells way too many tickets for that area so it becomes overcrowded very easy.  Not only that but you have a good chunk of the entitled crowd where 4 people together spread out and take a space that could be occupied by 6 or 8

2) The parking lots suck.  Unless you go real early and get a spot near the front, you will instead be lead to one of the tertiary parking lots that are a good hike from the actual venue.  Not only that, but the entrance/exit setup sucks majorly and when the concert is over you hit major traffic, so always plan to stay after the concert for another hour

3) While Live Nation re-did the seating area, they didn't do much to expand the other facilities.  Therefore you are stuck with facilities that were meant for the smaller, NJPAC-style venue they had back 20 years ago and so lines to concessions and bathrooms always suck.

4) It's an outdoor venue.  I really dislike outdoor venues for concerts as you are always at the mercy of weather and the acoustics suck.  I guess if you want to act like a drunken or high fool then I guess it wouldn't matter as much but if I spend $150+ on tickets I better damn well hear the music well.

Many valid points there, DM84. I can't disagree with any of it. There are many other venues better than PNC Arts Center at which to see a show, generally speaking.

However, when it comes to summertime concerts, I mostly like going to PNC for two reasons: 1) the tailgating and 2) it's outdoors.

At least once a year for the past decade, a few friends and I have gotten tickets to shows at PNC. We get to the parking lot as early as time will allow, pop up a canopy, set up our camping chairs, listen to music, eat some food, enjoy a few brews, and shoot the sh!t. Then we head inside and enjoy the show -- usually an act we haven't seen in a while.

Many a good time has been had there.

But if they ever took away the tailgating, I probably wouldn't go anymore. That's half the fun.

• 4 months later...
New Jersey thrash vets Overkill at Starland Ballroom this Saturday night. It's always fun to see Bobby Blitz and Co. ... Also looking forward to checking out Maloney's Pub & Grill in Matawan before the show. I've never been, but the guys in the BEER thread say it's good.

Edited by 95Crash

If it's the place I'm thinking of, Maloney's is cool. A friend of mine's band plays there occasionally.

As far as concerts go...I haven't been to many this year, but the ones I did were wild.

Won a trip via LiveNation to my choice of Made in America festivals (travel/hotel/tickets all paid). I chose the one in LA just to go to LA, despite Philly having a far better lineup.

Watched the National on the feed from Philly while in LA, which was interesting. In person in LA, Rise Against were awesome. John Mayer was surprisingly interesting. My friend wanted to see Steve Aoki and he was alright for what he is (loud obnoxious dubstep). Weezer were okay, but mixing old and new songs just makes it incredibly stark how BAD everything since Green Album is. In all, it was a crazy packed weekend, but a lot of fun.

Other show was Gaslight Anthem/Jimmy Eat World/Against Me in Philly. Benny (Gaslight Anthem) drummer had a family emergency and had to leave before the show started, so the drummer from Against Me filled in, learning 13 songs in a few hours. The show was really loose and fun and different. Gaslight ended with a 6 or 7 song acoustic set, including possibly my favorite song of theirs, the Navasink Banks.

Lately I've been getting into slower sludge/doom metal.  I went to Baltimore for the final day of a weekend-long metal festival called Maryland Deathfest and saw some of my new favorite bands, Bongripper, Windhand, and Inquisition, which is the only black metal band I actually like because they have melodic parts and aren't just blast beats throughout entire songs. I have no idea if anyone else here is familiar with these bands, but I saw Sleep and Windhand (again) at Union Transfer in Philly a month ago, and saw Windhand for a third time the other day at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn--awesome place, intimate little metal bar in Brooklyn. 

In October I'm going to see Om and Inquisition again.  Then in November I'll be seeing 80s doom metal legends Pentagram, and then Slayer Thanksgiving weekend.  Might end up at a Flogging Molly show in between too.

Anyone who likes metal, check those bands out!  I especially like Bongripper because they have no vocals.  I can't even count how many times I gave a listen to a band that was recommended to me and the guitars and drums sounded good and then the singer came in and ruined the entire band. 

Oh and to continue the above discussion about PNC...you can skip the exorbitant parking fee, the long walk, and the traffic jams by parking at the Aberdeen/Matawan train station and taking the free shuttle to the venue.  The bus drops you off pretty close to the entrance and picks you up at the same spot, and it has access to a different exit so you get to go right past all the cars sitting in traffic trying to get back on the Parkway.  Its purpose is to allow people to take a train to the show, but you can just drive to the train station and park there.

Edited by devilsfan26