Superstitions

DobaMB30

1) My kids and I have to wear red and black on game days. No one is allowed to wear opposing team colors. It was tough to remember not wearing blue during the Rags series, so avoiding black & white will be even more difficult to remember.

2) My youngest son has a Devils jigsaw puzzle that he decided to put together during game 7 of the FLA series. Since that game the puzzle is still sitting, intact on the coffee table. No one takes it apart or puts it away until the finals are over.

3) This is the first year I have not put up my Devils flag outside the house. Ever since I got it, when I put it up in prior years, they lost, so it's staying down until they win the Cup.

everytime i turn on a light, they give up a goal. (exception bathroom light, just kitchen, livingroom etc). My new dog has to be near me or preferably on my lap in his devils collar i got him. My wife plays "Words with Freinds" or something that distracts her as they dont score when she watches. The Devils always did good when their was ice in the gutters next to my second story apartments deck i used to live in till last year. When it melted, hte would playoffs hit and the devils lost a lot.. I stoped by the other day and saw them clogged with leaves. SO far leaves are just as good as ice. No wearing Devils T-shirts on the day they play, ecspecaily before they play the rangers.

Wife just got a Devils flag in the mail. I wont hang it outside mostly due to the flag holder is cheap metal and bent , other wise USA flag goes there. also afraid someone would steal it. She suggested in the Sunrooms window which is viewable as i live on a corner. Thinking we ll see how the first game or two goes before i do that.

must wear my marty or kovy sweater during games. marty tshirt underneath. all the wins vs the rangers i watched in budd lake then proceeded to the local dive.

probably gonna keep it up.

although i trimmed the beard finally after we beat the rags...wont shave again til after the cup celebration.

Nah. Not worth it. I've had girlfriends that have tried to distract me during games and every time it just ends with, "Why are you still watching the TV?", and me saying, "Because hockey is more important". Several days of anger always follows.

The correct phrasing is, "Because it's the Cup."

I think this season has cured me of superstitions. I had plenty. My first was in 1995 when I wore an old beat up red Devils hat that I had gotten at a convenience store for every game. I was in high school in NY and the only Devils fan, so it wasn't fun haha.

This season, I always wear my red Volchenkov jersey over a black Brodeur t-shirt to the games and the hat I bought at my first game of the inaugural season at the rock. I used to eat a gyro before every game (they've only lost once when I did). But I had bad heartburn in March and April so I skipped it and they kept winning. I got an opportunity to perform on a show in NYC (standup comedy) on the day between games 6 and 7 of the first round, so I had to shave my pathetic playoff beard. The Devils won game seven even without my help.

Then I forgot my lucky hat for Game 6 Friday and lo and behold they won. I'll keep my traditions, but I think I've had my superstitions broken. That being said, I'll be staring at the gyro stand tonight...

lol. Unfortunately for the women who have had the (dis)pleasure of dating me, they came to realize that even during regular season play, they have to take a backseat when the game is on.

As a female and a Devils fan, I don't understand why this would be a problem for anyone.^_^

My 2 jerseys, everytime the devils are on a winning streak, I keep the same, when they lose I change.

I wore my Brodeur jersey for games 4,5 and 6 against the rangers and for games 1 and 2 against the kings. however, might be time tochange to my Kovy jersey hahaha

I wore my green Kovy shirt for the 3 straight wins vs the Rags. Wore it for game 1 of the Kings series, lost. Changed for game 2 to my scott stevens shirt, we went down 1-0. My mom comes home and gives me a EC champs shirt, so I change right before the 3rd pd starts, and boom we score. I had my heart ripped out again in OT so I think it might be time to wear a jersey for Monday.(I HATE wearing jerseys for playoffs unless I'm at the arena.) Might go with my Marty or my Oduya.(never lost in playoffs with it.)

Then clearly the issue is the women I've dated and not, as they would like me to believe, that I don't have my priorities straight, lol.

Absolutely. You just need to date a nice, diehard Devils fan who insists on watching all the games. :D

In past years, I don't recall having many superstitions. But this playoff year I've had a few -- maybe because they finally started winning.

For most of this playoff run, I've been rotating a few of the same T-shirts I wear while watching each game: the 2006 Atlantic Division Champs T, the 2007 Atlantic Division Champs T, a Marty Vezina Trophy winner T, a Marty's Better T, and a black Devils logo T with no name or number. I have a ton of other Devils shirts and jerseys that I could be wearing, but the couple of times I wore any of those other T's, the Devils lost the game. So now I tend to stick with the ones that I mentioned.

Also, for the first three rounds, I've had this giant stuffed dog -- the kind that you can win on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore -- sitting on the end of the couch by the TV. It belongs to my 3-year-old son and used to always be in his bedroom, but for whatever reason, my son brought him downstairs before the playoffs started and as the Devils began winning, I started decorating it with Devils gear -- mostly my son's stuff, such as a foam Devils puckhead, a nylon Devils keychain that hangs around his neck, a foam Devils No. 1 finger, a foam Devils pitchfork, and a few others Devils stuff. That part of the couch has become a Devils corner all to itself.

The only problem is that right before the SCF started, my son insisted that the stuffed dog go back to his bedroom. Recently my son has been watching some cartoons with ghosts and monsters and stuff and so he wanted the big stuffed dog returned to his bedroom to "watch the bedroom door" while he was sleeping at night.

Well wouldn't you know it, now that that damn stuffed dog isn't on the couch, the Devs have lost the first two games in the Finals. For tomorrow night's game, I'm actually considering trying to sneak it out of my son's bedroom and bring it back downstairs and onto the same corner of the couch, LOL. I just have to try and distract my son so he doesn't notice.

:whistling:

Oh, I also have been posting old Devils fight videos, brawls and stuff, in the GDT's on gameday. It always involves an old Devils player vs. an old player from the team that they're playing that night. In Round 1, it was old Devils-Panthers fights; Round 2, Devils- Flyers fights; Round 3, Devils-Rangers fights; and of course now, Devils-Kings fights (not too many of those to be found on YouTube, but I've found enough to get us to Game 7, haha).

Edited by 95Crash

Game 6 against FLA I wore no boxers under my jeans and they won. I then wore the same combo for game 7 and it proved to be successful. Thinking this was only for the Panthers series, I went back to wearing boxers for game 1 against Philly. That proved to be a mistake, so I've free-balled for every Devils game since.

Besides that, I rotate my jersey selection for gameday depending how the previous game went.

Absolutely. You just need to date a nice, diehard Devils fan who insists on watching all the games. :D

I'll let you know when that happens. I'll also let you know when I find a 4 leaf clover, win the lottery and get struck by lightning.....all in the same day, lol.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've done almost the same things and we've lost all 3 games. I've tried switching shirt mid period, etc etc. Tomorrow I will revert back to the Flyers series and just not wear anything Devils related.d I'm keeping my jewfro and my amish beard until after the game tomorrow because I can see us losing.

So yesterday I had snuck my son's big stuffed dog out of his bedroom and put him back on the corner of the couch by the TV -- where he sat for the first three playoff rounds -- and wouldn't you know it, my wife was putting my son to bed literally minutes before the puck dropped, and he noticed the dog was missing and insisted it be brought back up to his bedroom. What was I supposed to do? My kid is only 3. I couldn't take his stuffed dog away from him and have him go to sleep scared. I had to bring the dog back up to the bedroom.

So for the third game in a row, that dog wasn't sitting where he was supposed to be, on the couch watching the Devils game. I am convinced that's why the Devs lost, yet again.