kovie practicing

ZeroGravityFat

no one thinks he'll be back by friday?

i feel like he could be. everyone thought zubrus would be out an extra week but he came back earlier than everyone thought. i know he wont play tomorrow for sure. but i think friday is deffinetly a possibility. by then he'll have a few practices and i think hell be ready.

he's not even practicing today, just skating and filling in for salvador on drills. i'm pretty sure monday earliest.

sprained shoulder is tricky, he's practicing now, they will have to see how he feels tomorrow am, see if there is a flare up or not. if he's ok tomorrow am and practices again, then maybe friday, but i doubt they will want to risk it depending on how we are doing.

even if he comes back, i wouldn't be surprised if he is missing from practices here and there resting his shoulder. people will probably freak out when he plays a game and is absent from the practice the next morning.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

I would think the moment Kovy is cleared for full contact he'll play immediately.  Not being his doctor, having seen any xrays, or even really know what happened to his shoulder, I have no idea how quickly he can go from being allowed to shoot pucks to full compression stress.

Having him back will do wonders to our confidence. Players are getting frustrated, no matter how much they say they aren't. Having him back will loosen them up, whether he scores or not. Henrique, Clarkson, Elias, etc. can grip the stick a little bit less, and our opposition's D will go back to focusing more on Kovalchuk and less on our system...

powerplay, 5on3, shootout practice. well that only took 3/4 of the season to try out. good job guys, could have been a good 14 points right there.

The Devils always practice the PP, so that's nothing new.  The Devils didn't practice the shootout before and it never mattered before.

I'm highly doubting taking 1 penalty shot at practice today will actually make anyone better or worse at the shootout.  I would guess it's more to try and mentally shake the team up, since it's a change.

Whether/when he comes back ultimately depends on whether the Devils are in the playoff race.  Despite paying lip-service to the idea that the Devils play to win every game, Lou did shut down Parise in 2010-2011 when the Devils were eliminated from the playoffs.  I would prefer he do the same thing with Kovalchuk.  There's no sense risking injury for games that don't matter.  In fact, if that's where the season is heading, I'd like the Devils to call up Urbom and Gelinas to get a few games to see what they can do. 

Whether/when he comes back ultimately depends on whether the Devils are in the playoff race.  Despite paying lip-service to the idea that the Devils play to win every game, Lou did shut down Parise in 2010-2011 when the Devils were eliminated from the playoffs.  I would prefer he do the same thing with Kovalchuk.  There's no sense risking injury for games that don't matter.  In fact, if that's where the season is heading, I'd like the Devils to call up Urbom and Gelinas to get a few games to see what they can do. 

Second this. Sit Volch and Sal for a few games. See what the future holds.