Devils pick Goalie Blackwood with 2nd round pick

DevilMinder

Future proofing a bare cupboard.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=203280

A goalie who stays calm, cool, and collected in all situations, whether down by five or leading by ten. Knows his game inside and out, and never panics. With his size, it isn't a surprise that he excels in the traditional butterfly-style; plays the puck intelligently and is quick to react with both his blocker and glove hand. Swift, crisp lateral movements let him get into positions where shooters have nothing to shoot at. At the end of the day, you can never complain when you have a goalie who tries as hard, and plays as consistently, as Mackenzie Blackwood. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

If we didn't have a completely bare forward pool then it would be a great pick. It's still solid, but I think most would agree we'd like a pick that would have a better chance to make an NHL impact within 3 years.

Who knows, maybe 5 years from now this guy is a stud and natural replacement for Schneider. But it's hard to get excited for that right now.

Yeah, don't like this pick very much.  Blackwood must have been very high on the scouts list.  That being said, this is a rebuild.  You guys do realize that when someone says "rebuild", the focus is on the future, not just making playoffs next year.  Is this fair to Cory Schneider? fvck no, but this is a goalie who we can expect(expect, not guarantee) to leapfrog pretty much every goalie we have in our system within the next 4-5 years.  

Yeah, don't like this pick very much.  Blackwood must have been very high on the scouts list.  That being said, this is a rebuild.  You guys do realize that when someone says "rebuild", the focus is on the future, not just making playoffs next year.  Is this fair to Cory Schneider? fvck no, but this is a goalie who we can expect(expect, not guarantee) to leapfrog pretty much every goalie we have in our system within the next 4-5 years.  

It's the deepest draft in almost 15 years in terms of forward and defensive talent and you take a goalie who has mediocre numbers in the OHL.  It's an awful pick.  If he had good numbers I'd hate it less.  I don't even care about having Schneider.

This is so meh. We need prospects who can score.

It's the deepest draft in almost 15 years in terms of forward and defensive talent and you take a goalie who has mediocre numbers in the OHL. It's an awful pick. If he had good numbers I'd hate it less. I don't even care about having Schneider.

Gotta agree here, that's all that everyone's been talking about is how deep this draft is and we take a goalie, something we don't need and haven't drafted well in so many years.

Edited by Satans Hockey

to put things in perspective... say in 2010 MTL would have picked Jack Campbell (best goalie in the draft) for "wtv future" even though they have price and pass on Gallagher. How does it look now 5 YEARS LATER ? 

of course that's one example and i'm sure there's other example showing it could be a good move but i don't buy it. 

You can get decent goalies who can do the job for cheap every year at worst. don't gamble a pick when you desperately need forwards

this was horrendous - plain and simple. there is no excuse.

if it wasn't for the palmieri trade, this draft would be a D+.

this shows a real lack of thinking by shero. i can't blame the scouts because even if they say this is the next carey price, you can't take him with the organization in the shape that it's in.

wasnt excited to see this.. still hoping they make a trade for an IMPACT player.. i would take kessel regardless of whaat the majority of people are saying about him he could make a real difference here.. but with this goalie maybe they are expecting to try to move him down the road for something or maybe move kinkaid who knows

It can be argued that the move makes sense. We have Kinkaid, Wedgwood and Cory that's it.

However I hate this selection. If we had two seconds it would be passable, but as it stands and with the players who were around its just horrible.

We should have taken as many forwards as possible.

Eh, not what I would have liked to see picked in the 2nd, but I guess it's a position that will also need to be filled eventually. Wedgewood and Clermont are the only goalie prospects we have left, and neither are panning out. Shame, because I like Wedgewood's style.

Their thinking maybe that they also technically got Palmieri out of this round, but I'd rather stock up on a few more forwards this early. 

The Offensive Jugernaught New Jersey Devils shored-up their 5-6 years into the future goaltendering with Goalie Blackwood. When Conte was questioned about the 2nd round pick, he replied, "The Devils fowards pool is set for the next 5 years, so we're thinking ahead of ourselves."

Absolutely a wasteful and horrendous pick. Did the front office kill too many braincells with double-malted cocktails at the party last night?

Eh, not what I would have liked to see picked in the 2nd, but I guess it's a position that will also need to be filled eventually. Wedgewood and Clermont are the only goalie prospects we have left, and neither are panning out. Shame, because I like Wedgewood's style.

Their thinking maybe that they also technically got Palmieri out of this round, but I'd rather stock up on a few more forwards this early. 

The Devils do need goalies in their organization.  And they did trade down for this pick so that's nice to at least get some extra stuff.  But the time for that was later - this guy isn't worth a 2nd round pick.  I don't trust NJ's ability to eyeball goalies - they haven't drafted a successful NHL goalie since Chris Mason in 95 - and the numbers aren't there.

The Devils do need goalies in their organization.  And they did trade down for this pick so that's nice to at least get some extra stuff.  But the time for that was later - this guy isn't worth a 2nd round pick.  I don't trust NJ's ability to eyeball goalies - they haven't drafted a successful NHL goalie since Chris Mason in 95 - and the numbers aren't there.

I didn't say I liked the pick, I was just trying to look at what the Devils' logic might be behind it. I would have preferred forwards at this point. Just makes more sense. 

I know how you feel. I don't expect much in the next two years meaning Cup challengers. He could be potential necessary trade material. We still have the UFA and RFA plus trades. So I am waiting until opening night to form an opinion about the off season.

In the remaining rounds do we have any other opportunities?

Though Mac Blackwood is a cool name...this is a  DUMB fvckING PICK. We needed another forward. I have no idea what they're thinking here but this kid better be really really really good.

Ari Ahonen part 2

Edited by '7'

The Devils do need goalies in their organization. And they did trade down for this pick so that's nice to at least get some extra stuff. But the time for that was later - this guy isn't worth a 2nd round pick. I don't trust NJ's ability to eyeball goalies - they haven't drafted a successful NHL goalie since Chris Mason in 95 - and the numbers aren't there.

This kid is probably gonna be the starter for Canada at the WJC from what they were saying on the draft coverage. We'll see how he does when the spotlight is on him, and we'll see if his numbers improve. Supposedly a very good athlete and not a statue in the crease. The pick sucked, but I'm trying to at least take a glass half full look at what Blackwood is as a prospect and his ceiling for improvement.

Though Mac Blackwood is a cool name...this is a DUMB fvckING PICK. We needed another forward. I have no idea what they're thinking here but this kid better be really really really good.

Ari Ahonen part 2

I just cringe at the thought that this pick possibly could have been used in a package to trade up for Barzal.

I just cringe at the thought that this pick possibly could have been used in a package to trade up for Barzal.

Shero said that he tried to trade back into the 1st round but the interest from other teams just wasn't there. So it might have been in play but it takes two to trade.

I like this pick. Dude is one of the top goalie prospects in a extremely deep draft, he's tall like Bishop and can really play.

What next to NO ONE understands on here is that our depth at goaltender isn't as good as fans would like to believe. We have a stud number one who is currently on the wrong side of 20, Clarmont and Wedgewood both became major duds, Clemmer won't be retained...

We don't really have that many prospects at this position if you think about it, especially skilled ones. I rather have done Merrill + this pick for Barzal but those freaking out about this pick are TRULY freaking out about nothing and/or are literally in-informed.

Edited by TheMazz
  • Like 1