Salvador officially named captain

SterioDesign

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's a good setup and perfect timing to put the C on Henrique in time

Things that will happen before Henrique wears the C: Kovy wears it. Zajac wears it.

Henrique has shown he can be a great player and once one of the alternates retires (Elias) or gets the C (Kovy) he'll probably get the A.

Salvador is probably a transition captain for the next year or so. His career is winding down anyway...Zajac, Henrique, Larsson etc one of those will be the next captain long term.

I think he's a safe transition captain. He clearly has the respect of the locker room from the way players talk about him. Plus, Elias doesn't seem interested, and going straight from Parise to Kovalchuk may have created both extra pressure on Kovy and also may have created some animosity in the locker room.

Been a fan of Sal's since he first got here. Solid defenseman, never afraid to drop the mitts, sticks up for teammates, makes defense partners look good, rarely makes mistakes. His biggest flaw is that his face seems to be a magnet for pucks. The man is a solid pick to wear the C.

It's too bad that gif of his spear tackling JVR isn't still active, because it'd be perfect in this thread. The still shot will have to do ...

4fa364cfdbbf8.image.jpg

Oh captain, my captain!

I've always liked Sal. I questioned his value/contract in the past, but as the year went on and he got his legs back after the concussion, he looked better and better. He always makes his partner look good, and he doesn't care about his stats at all. Great team player, commands respect, good fit for the job, especially after the Parise jilting.

Larsson isnt either... i remember people here saying that he was way too good for that league... he's not even on the allstars roster...

Yes, and? All-Star Games determine who's actually good now? First of all, every team has to have an All-Star, so that reduces the available All-Star slots. Second, Larsson's game probably won't get him in All-Star Games in the NHL either - he's not going to put up loads of points - but he's going to be a top defender.

Yes, and? All-Star Games determine who's actually good now? First of all, every team has to have an All-Star, so that reduces the available All-Star slots. Second, Larsson's game probably won't get him in All-Star Games in the NHL either - he's not going to put up loads of points - but he's going to be a top defender.

and... i've seen flashes of greatness from Larsson but there's some things i don't like too, the worst is his speed, he's horribly slow. i'm still not convinced he'll be the great dman that some are projecting him. Hedman had the same hype and see now... he's been in the league for awhile now and bunch of younger guys like doughty, pitrelangelo, Karlsson etc etc just step in and have success almost right away. i know some great dman took time to become who they are but im still worried.

Edited by SterioDesign

and... i've seen flashes of greatness from Larsson but there's some things i don't like too, the worst is his speed, he's horribly slow. i'm still not convinced he'll be the great dman that some are projecting him. Hedman had the same hype and see now... he's been in the league for awhile now and bunch of younger guys like doughty, pitrelangelo, Karlsson etc etc just step in and have success almost right away. i know some great dman took time to become who they are but im still worried.

Those a "a bunch of younger guys" are arguably among the top 5-10 defensemen in the league. They are also 2-3 years older than Larsson. All of them had issues with their game in their first season. Larsson's footspeed can be improved.

Also, complaining about Hedman because he hasn't panned out according to the max projection (which in itself is ridiculous)...he's coming around. He had 20 points in 26 games in the KHL, has been above 20 points in all of his three NHL seasons. Guys with his size can take longer to adjust because of their frame.

You start splitting hairs on ethnicity, for some people Dirk Graham doesn't have enough black heritage to be black and for some people he does.

I thought he was splitting hairs too haha.. But I think he just posted the answer before realizing the person before him did it already..

You start splitting hairs on ethnicity, for some people Dirk Graham doesn't have enough black heritage to be black and for some people he does.

Iginla and Salvador are both biracial too, so I guess there are some people who might say they don't "count" either. I say who cares, they are all of African descent. But there actually is a Wikipedia article about this if anyone's interested.