The Lakewood River Rats?

rbdf

I wrote this in my thread:

This would be awesome for us Jersey shore fans. I would feel bad for all the fans in Albany though. The Blueclaws are a big draw. And most people in this area aren't even Phillies fans. They're Met and Yankee fans. I know a lot of people go to have fun and bring the kids. The "Rats" would do really well here.

doh. i posted the same thing  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, wierd, we posted within 2 minutes of each other

they probably won't do it for fear of pulling potential devils ticket buyers away from the new newark arena, but wouldn't it be sweet for all us ocean and monmouth hockey fans to have AHL level hockey in our back yards - I like going to the titans games, but the level of play is noticably lower, and trenton is still a pretty good hike all the way west on 195, Lakewood, AHL level, considerably cheaper than an NHL ticket, jeez, I'd buy season seats tomorrow.

That would be awesome. I have always thought our minor league team should be in NJ. It also extends the Devils reach further south than putting them in South Amboy or New Brunswick (two places discussed in the past) which is a good thing.

I'm sure the people in Albany will be pissed and I definately feel bad for them, but the Rats attendance has been terrible (I know the team has not been much better).

OMG, that would be so awesome living in Toms River, I'd go to a lot of games!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I like very close to Lakewood and this is a stone's throw away. The Blueclaws is already so much fun, a great family acitivity, and this would be supremely awesome to have a rink so close by.

Hi everyone

Jerzzegirl-+

I think Jimmy has been mentioning this for months.

If it is near the Blue Claws stadium that's a great spot...down the road from my car dealer...well used to be before I moved!

I hope they do it! What would they call the team though? Lakewood River Rats doesn't sound right. Lakewood Blue Devils to go with the Blue Claws?

Yup, Scherzer was promoted to Vice President of Communications in August 2002, according to his bio on the Rats' site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O, of communications. That's different then. I thought they meant like head honcho type VP.

I don't see how this move could happen this year, though. They don't even have a stadium built. Could it be done in 10 months?

O, of communications. That's different then. I thought they meant like head honcho type VP.

I suppose it's possible, depending on how you read it. His actual title says simply "Vice President" (as opposed to the VP of sales, which reads "Vice President, Sales"), but his bio explicity mentions the communications department. He may have been promoted to a head honcho-type of VP when they integrated front offices with the Conquest, I don't really know.

I don't see how this move could happen this year, though. They don't even have a stadium built. Could it be done in 10 months?

I don't see this happening in time for next season. Maybe the year after, though. We'll see how long they renew their agreement for after this season, if they even do that. (Lou may decide to scatter his few real prospects to the wind next year or go halfsies with another team, though it doesn't really sound like something he'd do.)

And if this does come to fruition... well, what am I supposed to say? It was only a matter of time before the Rats were going to be at a crossroads, although the general feeling was that the owner would give up before the Devils did. Who knows, maybe I'll finally buy Center Ice.

I think it would be a great idea.....

The only con I see is that the fans may be drawn away fromo actually going to Devils games. It's a weird thing...i think it's a great way to get new fans, which is clearly needed, but will it draw away from NJ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's "logic" like that why the fans in Chicagp are still in the stone age and can't see home games on TV.... "If we air them on TV, who'd pay to see them?"

Well with the infestations called hockey teams they put on the ice who'd wanna pay anyway ??