NJ Devils vs Ottawa Sens 7:30 MSG+

caron14

By Pete's own admission they never practice the shootout, and didn't practice the shootout last year when they were godly at it. They probably should practice the shootout now that they don't have Kovy and Parise to save their ***es in it.

Well their record and the devils shooters feeble attempts should have clicked with the coaching staff long ago that they should practice at least a little bit. Just skating head on towards the goalie and taking a shot without forcing the goalie to move isn't gonna win many shootouts.

Well their record and the devils shooters feeble attempts should have clicked with the coaching staff long ago that they should practice at least a little bit. Just skating head on towards the goalie and taking a shot without forcing the goalie to move isn't gonna win many shootouts.

Their goalies are relics.   Practicing on Marty and Moose would do nothing against this gigantic overpadded monster.   Still logic should kick in and 3 of the 4 guys shouldn't be walking in to shoot.

Disappointed after that shoot out ...not over getting the extra point but because we didnt catch a win after playing what I would consider a much better game then to be expected, really thought we were the better of the two teams threw periods 2/3 ... Oh well atleast we got one point I guess.

I see a lot of you guys are pulling out the shots on goal stat.. But frankly, we're not seeing many quality chances.

Neither was Ottawa.  And that's the point.  Devils controlled the game for long stretches, forced their D into all sorts of turnovers.  Clarkson had hands for feet tonight otherwise he mighta had a couple of goals.  Devils were just fine without Kovalchuk and like max said, the OT was much different without him, but this game was played almost entirely 5 on 5 and he wasn't missed.

I see a lot of you guys are pulling out the shots on goal stat.. But frankly, we're not seeing many quality chances.

Neither was Ottawa. And that's the point. Devils controlled the game for long stretches, forced their D into all sorts of turnovers. Clarkson had hands for feet tonight otherwise he mighta had a couple of goals. Devils were just fine without Kovalchuk and like max said, the OT was much different without him, but this game was played almost entirely 5 on 5 and he wasn't missed.

Or maybe he would have gotten us that third goal at ES. Or maybe he would have had a brain fart and given up a break away and we would have lost in regulation. There is no way of knowing.

But, if it's a choice between having or not having our most skilled forward who gets the most ice time a game for a forward by far, I'd rather have him at even strength, on the powerplay, short handed, or 4 on 4. They're a worse team without him in whatever situation you want to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Or maybe he would have gotten us that third goal at ES. Or maybe he would have had a brain fart and given up a break away and we would have lost in regulation. There is no way of knowing. But, if it's a choice between having or not having our most skilled forward who gets the most ice time a game for a forward by far, I'd rather have him at even strength, on the powerplay, short handed, or 4 on 4. They're a worse team without him in whatever situation you want to choose. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They're not substantially worse 5 on 5, if they're worse at all.  Losing Salvador and Gionta was certainly a boost to the team too.

Or maybe he would have gotten us that third goal at ES. Or maybe he would have had a brain fart and given up a break away and we would have lost in regulation. There is no way of knowing. But, if it's a choice between having or not having our most skilled forward who gets the most ice time a game for a forward by far, I'd rather have him at even strength, on the powerplay, short handed, or 4 on 4. They're a worse team without him in whatever situation you want to choose. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They're not substantially worse 5 on 5, if they're worse at all. Losing Salvador and Gionta was certainly a boost to the team too.

Until you can recreate the game with a particular player who wasn't there you or I just don't know. Hell, he might be out for the rest of the year and we'll win the Cup, but I can say we would have won the Cup in 16 games had we had him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They're not substantially worse 5 on 5, if they're worse at all.  Losing Salvador and Gionta was certainly a boost to the team too.

lol I knew someone would go there :rolleyes:

They've been playing fairly well defensively with Sal recently.  I'd rather have seen Sal on the ice than Larsson/Volch/Harrold when they were ****ing up at times.  Losing Gionta was no factor, it's not like our offense became great finishers :P  There's no advantage to playing with sixteen skaters, especially when one guy you know can play 25-30 minutes when needed isn't even around, and some of the other scrubs on the third/fourth line can't even add the spark Gio does.

It's just the same **** it's been.  Give effort, can't finish, lose OT/SO.  Thankfully Marty's only allowed four goals in the three games but he's still fighting it out there too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We've outshot our opponents in practically every game the last month. It's not "bad luck" if it happens 20 games in a row. We're just not a very talented offensive team.. We miss Zach, and now we'll miss Kovy.

Don't get the stats guys started lol.  All we'll hear about how it's impossible to maintain such a bad shooting percentage :lol:

Doesn't help when you're brain-dead in your shot choices - like basically anything Clarkson throws at the net from his back foot, or the shootout when three of the four shooters didn't even attempt to get Bishop to move, just firing it into his body.  The one that made him move scored, go figure.

We've outshot our opponents in practically every game the last month. It's not "bad luck" if it happens 20 games in a row. We're just not a very talented offensive team.. We miss Zach, and now we'll miss Kovy.

No, we have dogsh!t goaltending.  People bitch and moan about perimeter shots, and the Devils aren't good shooters, well what the hell is Chris Phillips from outside the circle?  But the puck goes in.  And the Devils are behind AGAIN and teams outshoot when behind.  And on goal #2 there's a lot wrong there but there's also a juicy rebound served up to Greening.  The Devils' D allow 14 shots on goal and Brodeur lets in two of them.  There's your problem - he lets in 1, NJ probably wins this game.  They played more than well enough to do that.

You get 1 power play in a game, you shouldn't be scoring more than 2 goals all that often without some good fortune.  It's a tough league.  But your goalie has to make stops, and ours aren't.  That's why we're outshooting teams.  And that's why we're not winning.

Edited by Triumph

You can keep telling yourself that. it's easy to say that after this game since the entire team rallied and arguably put forth their best effort of the season (save for the first 9 mins)

You can keep telling yourself that. it's easy to say that after this game since the entire team rallied and arguably put forth their best effort of the season (save for the first 9 mins)

I'm not telling myself that, it's true.  Just about every Devil has better numbers when they are not playing with Salvador or Gionta.  Losing both, well that's surely going to pick things up.

This NJ team has massive potential with some streaky goaltending. When zubrus kovalchuk and poni get healthy you should have 4very balanced puck possession lines (loki and kovi obviously with soft minutes). This has to be one of the better defensive devils teams in a long time.