New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I'm getting tired of all this fvcking waiting. Are they gunna drag this out till camp?

I'd consider the silence a blessing at this point. It suggests to me that Grossman is only speaking with the Devils, and that the talks are going well enough for all sides to abide by the the traditional Devils media blackout rule when it comes to negotiations and such.

Really, if it's just the Devils involved, what's the big difference between him signing today, tomorrow, next week, or the day before training camp, other than annoying the more impatient parts of our fanbase? As long as he's locked down with a decent contract by the time training camp starts, I don't mind not having an answer this very second.

Edit: Dammit, sammy'd. :rant:

Edited by thelastonealive

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd consider the silence a blessing at this point. It suggests to me that Grossman is only speaking with the Devils, and that the talks are going well enough for all sides to abide by the the traditional Devils media blackout rule when it comes to negotiations and such.

Really, if it's just the Devils involved, what's the big difference between him signing today, tomorrow, next week, or the day before training camp, other than annoying the more impatient parts of our fanbase? As long as he's locked down with a decent contract by the time training camp starts, I don't mind not having an answer this very second.

Edit: Dammit, sammy'd. :rant:

It's not that anyone minds it that much. They may say they do but they keep coming back to this thread. Yes, Kovy is going to be a Devil. But as long as he is not officially signed something is just unsettled in a lot of our stomachs. With the way this Kovy thing has gone there is always a small chance something else will go wrong - or some new surprise will pop up.

Summer is supposed to be a relaxing time - a 4 month period in which we don't want to stress about hockey. It's Aug. 22 and we still don't have things wrapped up yet. Yes a Devils signing of Kovy in September is better than an LA King signing of Kovy in July. However, that doesn't change the fact that this whole process has been exhausting for everyone - including the fans. A lot of us like to forget about hockey for August. That's what lets us go into the season full of energy.

So yes logically we shouldn't be upset. But it's not about logic. It's about an innate human need to have closure - it let's us sleep at night.

Just thought I'd offer my 2 cents on the situation - with that off my chest, as I said before: I think Kovy signs tomorrow. This Monday just makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by ben00rs

So yes logically we shouldn't be upset. But it's not about logic. It's about an innate human need to have closure - it let's us sleep at night.

If anyone's losing sleep over the Kovalchuk situation, y'need to take this sport a little less seriously in August. :lol:

I understand everyone's antsy-ness, maybe I'm just feeling too zen over all this for my own good, but I'm having a pretty relaxing summer, Kovaldrama or no. I look at all of this as a bit of a blessing, really - at least our summer hasn't been boring, and with how early we were knocked out of the playoffs, it could have been a LONG boring summer. Now, even if he does sign tomorrow, it's less than a month til training camp. The only people I feel sorry for in this whole situation is the newspaper reporters who pretty much lost their summer vacation on this. :lol:

If anyone's losing sleep over the Kovalchuk situation, y'need to take this sport a little less seriously in August. :lol:

I understand everyone's antsy-ness, maybe I'm just feeling too zen over all this for my own good, but I'm having a pretty relaxing summer, Kovaldrama or no. I look at all of this as a bit of a blessing, really - at least our summer hasn't been boring, and with how early we were knocked out of the playoffs, it could have been a LONG boring summer. Now, even if he does sign tomorrow, it's less than a month til training camp. The only people I feel sorry for in this whole situation is the newspaper reporters who pretty much lost their summer vacation on this. :lol:

don't worry, they'll have the ASB to head to the Caribbean

It certainly is another way to look at it. Because it looks like Kovy is going to stay I think we're going to be able to look back and say it was an short, exciting summer. If he left, I think we all would be calling it a long, energy-draining summer that was just one big fail.

Having a short offseason is overrated :P Especially when you basically turn this season into a non-stop 12-month cycle. You need some downtime emotionally, especially in the nice weather and this Kovy nonsense has been about as much of a roller coaster as any playoff run could, only we don't get a trophy at the end.

And we STILL don't know what the fallout's (capwise and who we trade) going to be of signing Kovy, that's part of the reason for the anxiety imo. That's assuming the deal actually does get signed at some point or other. It's not just waiting for him to sign, it's the giant unknown of what happens after it.

Edited by Hasan4978

And we STILL don't know what the fallout's (capwise and who we trade) going to be of signing Kovy, that's part of the reason for the anxiety imo. That's assuming the deal actually does get signed at some point or other. It's not just waiting for him to sign, it's the giant unknown of what happens after it.

+1. I'm more concerned about the effect this will have on Parise (I know, a year of stress :noclue: ) and how well Lou will be able to dump salary to get under the cap, especially if the deal happens at the last second. While he's expendable, it would bother me quite a bit to lose Zubs. I also want to know if Sal or White will be back -- it would be good for the team to lose one, if not both IMO, but I like each, so I'd like to get the emotional part out of the way. Kovie himself is less of an issue to me than the guys I'm more attached to on the team.

why are you all worried about parise, the reason this is taking forever is because LL is trying to stay in his self imposed salary cap to have enough cash to easily sign parise next year. 6-7 mil cap hit for kovie easily leaves room next year when we get rid of the bums rolston and langenbrunner.

I'm not worried about the Kovy attention or the cap number having an averse affect on Zach, Lou won't allow an insane cap number and Zach doesn't have the ego to where the attention on Kovy will matter.

I've said this before but the only thing that concerns me about Zach is if he still thinks we're a top-flight organization. And the only way to alleviate that concern is start winning playoff rounds, although signing a big player like Kovy as well as our other additions at least show we're still committed to winning.

But as far as the uncertainty goes, this season's roster issues are the far more pressing concern now.

I posted something similar somewhere around page 400 or 390’s haha. Anyway I really think Kovy is going to sign with the Devils sometime after Labor Day weekend, even closer to the 17th when veterans report.

I believe this is the reason is due to the NHL’s “so called” contract investigation on other contracts. We all know the Devils want to lock him up for at least 10 years.

Also with training camps it will give the Devils a better chance to move players due to teams needing a player due to an injury or still need to get to the cap floor.

Here is what I think Kovy will sign for 13 years, 91 million / 7 million cap hit / NMC first 10 years / NTC last 3 years.

Year 1: 6

Year 2: 6

Year 3: 9.5

Year 4: 9.5

Year 5: 9.5

Year 6: 9

Year 7: 9

Year 8: 9

Year 9: 9

Year 10: 6

Year 11: 1

Year 12: 1

Year 13: 1

Teams that aren’t at the cap floor or a little over that the Devils could trade with, 2010-2011 NHL Salary Cap Floor 43.4 million, list based on capgeek.com

1) Avalanche 38.4

2) Thrashers 41.3

3) Islanders 43.6

4) Predators 44.5

5) Coyotes 45.4

6) Stars 47.1

Devils pretty much have a history with all the teams but Coyotes but see reason below.

Players that Devils could move to get under this year:

1) Brian Rolston 5 million: will be hard to move due to have a nmc & his age, but a team like the Islanders or Avalanche would be interested due to the young core they have & having a veteran could help those groups. Rolston may wave his NMC for either one, Avalanche could be a playoff team & could make a run in the playoffs, just get in! Islanders keep in the area where he doesn’t have to up & move his family.

2) Bryce Salvador 2.9 million: I could see the Thrashers or Coyotes make a play for him both teams are looking to make a playoff push, especially the Coyotes with the success they had last year. He is a stay at home dman that could really help both teams 5 on 5 & pk.

3) Patrik Elias 6 million: I know I know “no way”, but think of this we still have to get Parise signed next year! Patrik is a point per game player & any team above would take him I think to help them at situation. Yes is the Devils all time scorer but honestly would you rather keep him or almost guarantee yourself Kovy & Parise locked up for years to come, you decided. Also we do have the 2 young Swedish kids that are coming up.

4) Dainus Zubras 3.4 million: Probably the most logical player that could be going but honestly I really think he stays, due to him being one our best forwards for the past 2 years in short lived (lol) playoff life. But truth is truth he is the easiest forward to move with no clauses and once again I think any of the above teams would take him.

Going forward a year from now: if we are going to get Kovy locked up long with Parise, we know Zach is going to want almost the same as Kovy, plus Zajic if he puts up good numbers is going to want a raise around 4.5 million (my guess) is 3 years then we need to 3 out of the 4 above & we do get 2.8 from Jamie next year & would only take him back for around 1.5 or less. We just have to hope the Swedish kids are going to be good.

I posted something similar somewhere around page 400 or 390’s haha. Anyway I really think Kovy is going to sign with the Devils sometime after Labor Day weekend, even closer to the 17th when veterans report.

I believe this is the reason is due to the NHL’s “so called” contract investigation on other contracts. We all know the Devils want to lock him up for at least 10 years.

Also with training camps it will give the Devils a better chance to move players due to teams needing a player due to an injury or still need to get to the cap floor.

Here is what I think Kovy will sign for 13 years, 91 million / 7 million cap hit / NMC first 10 years / NTC last 3 years.

Year 1: 6

Year 2: 6

Year 3: 9.5

Year 4: 9.5

Year 5: 9.5

Year 6: 9

Year 7: 9

Year 8: 9

Year 9: 9

Year 10: 6

Year 11: 1

Year 12: 1

Year 13: 1

Teams that aren’t at the cap floor or a little over that the Devils could trade with, 2010-2011 NHL Salary Cap Floor 43.4 million, list based on capgeek.com

1) Avalanche 38.4

2) Thrashers 41.3

3) Islanders 43.6

4) Predators 44.5

5) Coyotes 45.4

6) Stars 47.1

Devils pretty much have a history with all the teams but Coyotes but see reason below.

Players that Devils could move to get under this year:

1) Brian Rolston 5 million: will be hard to move due to have a nmc & his age, but a team like the Islanders or Avalanche would be interested due to the young core they have & having a veteran could help those groups. Rolston may wave his NMC for either one, Avalanche could be a playoff team & could make a run in the playoffs, just get in! Islanders keep in the area where he doesn’t have to up & move his family.

2) Bryce Salvador 2.9 million: I could see the Thrashers or Coyotes make a play for him both teams are looking to make a playoff push, especially the Coyotes with the success they had last year. He is a stay at home dman that could really help both teams 5 on 5 & pk.

3) Patrik Elias 6 million: I know I know “no way”, but think of this we still have to get Parise signed next year! Patrik is a point per game player & any team above would take him I think to help them at situation. Yes is the Devils all time scorer but honestly would you rather keep him or almost guarantee yourself Kovy & Parise locked up for years to come, you decided. Also we do have the 2 young Swedish kids that are coming up.

4) Dainus Zubras 3.4 million: Probably the most logical player that could be going but honestly I really think he stays, due to him being one our best forwards for the past 2 years in short lived (lol) playoff life. But truth is truth he is the easiest forward to move with no clauses and once again I think any of the above teams would take him.

Going forward a year from now: if we are going to get Kovy locked up long with Parise, we know Zach is going to want almost the same as Kovy, plus Zajic if he puts up good numbers is going to want a raise around 4.5 million (my guess) is 3 years then we need to 3 out of the 4 above & we do get 2.8 from Jamie next year & would only take him back for around 1.5 or less. We just have to hope the Swedish kids are going to be good.

the options are well thought out, but (and I don't mean to nit-pick) that contract would fail because of violating the 50% rule where the salary can't drop more than half of the smaller of the first 2 years salary (aka 6mil / 2 = 3mil drop max from one year to the next).

Other than that I think many options there could be good options. Not to mention with the Av's a good bit under the floor and it would be fun to see Rolston traded there because we already did that once (In the Pepe trade IIRC).

You don't go out and get Jason Arnott if you're moving Patrik Elias... it just makes NO sense at all

Besides, if you want news check twitter. A kovy signing will break on twitter first, then here, and then the blogs.

Does Mamachuk have a Twitter account? She will spill first. Need to tap her phone. glare.gif

You don't go out and get Jason Arnott if you're moving Patrik Elias... it just makes NO sense at all

Oh man.... he's bustin out the Chewbacca argument! dizzy.gif

I do agree with you on the Arnott deal, but that deal was done based on the original contract for Kovy, now with a larger cap hit & we will have a similar deal with Parise, I just think other teams would rather have Elias then Rolston. Especially we having 2 good centers now (Arnott & Zajac) along with 2 solid LW (Kovy & Parise) it might make sense for Lou to dump salary via Elias.

Trust me I don’t want him to go, but between Kovy this year & Parise next we could be looking at 13 to 14 million cap hit just in those 2 players. Now take Parise’s current hit of 5 million we still need to free up 9 million, it is going to be tough.