Blackout issues???

Devil Boy

I just got off the phone with cablevision, and they inform me it was THE DEVILS who have blacked out the game due the my proximity to the CAA! If The Devils are behind this, what will they gain by such actions.

Do they think the arena will sell out due to the blackout?

If this is the DEVILS doing, they are only going to alienate more of their fans. BTW, if I have to pay for HNL Ceter-Ice it will cost me an additional $159.00 for the season. That being said Cablevision, HNL Center-Ice, and THE WHOLE NJ DEVILS ORGANAZATION CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!!

People at cable companies never know what's going on.

And you can correct me if I'm wrong. But if you live in the Devils area north NJ, whatever, aren't all the Devils' games on the direct tv channels blacked out?

Aren't you supposed to watch it on your Fox Sports Net channel?

(You'd also have to subscribe to Fox Sports Net as well.)

I think that's what the cablevision rep was thinking when they tried to answer your question.

So when I read that in the paper today, I figured people from out of the metro area had their directv blacked out in error, is that what happened?

People at cable companies never know what's going on.

And you can correct me if I'm wrong. But if you live in the Devils area north NJ, whatever, aren't all the Devils' games on the direct tv channels blacked out?

Aren't you supposed to watch it on your Fox Sports Net channel?

(You'd also have to subscribe to Fox Sports Net as well.)

I think that's what the cablevision rep was thinking when they tried to answer your question.

So when I read that in the paper today, I figured people from out of the metro area had their directv blacked out in error, is that what happened?

I do not have direct tv, I have cablevision OI digital. It was blacked out on channel 88, which is Fox Sports NY.

Just to let you know, it's not a reception problem. As of this season, all games that are on TWO different stations can only be viewed if you have a DirecTV (or Cable) "Center Ice" package. So, last night, the game appeared on Fox Sports Bay Area (which was on the Center Ice package) and Fox Sports New York. With the new regulations in effect, all viewers who ONLY have FSNY were blacked out. To see the game, you must have Center Ice tuned to the FSNY broadcast. Now, if the game was not broadcast on Center Ice, then you would receive the game on your regular FSNY feed, which is all good.

Yes, these new rules suck, but they are fact. Also, the reason why you received the broadcast from the first couple of games on FSNY was because they were offering the Center Ice free preview.

A scam bigger than cotton candy.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25899

once again Devils fans get F%$#@D. And people wonder why there's no fan base. :argh:

I had it on channel 88 (fsny) in Howell.  I also have IO.  How could they be different?

Well, if you were able to see the game, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

Another cablevision rep scheduled a service call to have my TV's checked, we'll see what happens.

Edited by Devil Boy

Center Ice is going to black out ALL Devils/Rangers/Isle's games within - I think it's 50, but could be wrong - 50 miles of NYC - This is how the teams can have local broadcast agreements. Why would FSNY want to pay the devils a fee to broadcast their games if people were able to get it elsewhere?

That being said, even with in the FSNY agreement, not ALL 82 games are covered - they adjust it periodically, but I think it's somewhere around 65 games on FSNY, 12 on Metro, a couple on espn and a couple with no tv coverage what so ever.

Now if what you're saying is that last night's game, which was broadcast on FSNY and watched, at least over comcast of monmouth I know of, was blacked out in some other territory, then yeah, you've got a major gripe and someone owes you an explanation.

I have regular cable.. it is never a problem... Fox sport or metro carry it.. Does this mean i am missing tonights game?

Just to let you know, it's not a reception problem. As of this season, all games that are on TWO different stations can only be viewed if you have a DirecTV (or Cable) "Center Ice" package. So, last night, the game appeared on Fox Sports Bay Area (which was on the Center Ice package) and Fox Sports New York. With the new regulations in effect, all viewers who ONLY have FSNY were blacked out. To see the game, you must have Center Ice tuned to the FSNY broadcast. Now, if the game was not broadcast on Center Ice, then you would receive the game on your regular FSNY feed, which is all good.

Yes, these new rules suck, but they are fact. Also, the reason why you received the broadcast from the first couple of games on FSNY was because they were offering the Center Ice free preview.

A scam bigger than cotton candy.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25899

once again Devils fans get F%$#@D. And people wonder why there's no fan base. :argh:

I don't believe this is a true statement. For instance, I can see *every* Stars game, without Center Ice, no matter where they play or who's broadcasting. Unless it's an exclusive national broadcast, I will *always* see our local broadcast. And if it's national - I will see that as long as I have ESPN/2, ABC, etc. Center Ice doesn't enter into it for my local team, because Center Ice is always blacked out for the local team.

The statement about being broadcast on 2 different stations should still not affect whether you can see your local team over your local station. (Aside from the Metro issue, of course, which is another can of worms).

Nieuwy25, it seems to me, I'm not going so far as to say conspiracy, that the Devils for some reason have some of the biggest problems with game feeds in the whole league. I have had Center Ice with both DirectTv and Comcast, and consistently the Devils, by far, have had the biggest problem. I would call and complain every time and get my two dollars but...

Be happy we're not blackhawk fans living IN chicago - the last I heard from my friends who used to live in chi-town was that they DO have a blackout rule there, and since the hawks have basically sucked a$$ for several years now, they hardly ever have enough seats sold early enough to get the blackouts lifted.

Nj on the other hand does not have a black out rule for the devils, so what ever is happening is a local cable company problem, not the devils organization.

There may be a local broadcast problem. But it has nothing to do with Center Ice or DirecTV, as asserted above. Blackout rules only affect the local teams in their local area, no matter how many different broadcasts there may be. What happened in your area sounds like just a bone-headed mix up, like rbdf said. Anyway, I hope they get it figured out! :)

Devil boy, do you subscribe to cablevision's sports package? FSNY, Yes & MSG? If you do, then you should've got the game, the person at the cable company doesn't know what they're talking about. They always blame everyone else but themselves.

There's no way the Devils black out the local market, they are simply wrong. They only do that on Center Ice, and that's to protect the local rights fees the FSNY pays to carry the Devils, (yes even when they put it on Metro, Center Ice must be blacked out).

NHL blackout issuses are something else. I live in San Diego County, California, and our area is considered part of the Anaheim market -- so the Ducks games are blacked out on Center Ice if they're on a "local" channel. The catch? 20-some games are on a "local" channel that is not available through either cable or satellite in San Diego -- it is a Los Angeles channel that is not offered in San Diego. So, the games are blacked out because KCAL has the rights to our market, even though they do not broadcast in our market!!

Want to know how bad it is being a hockey fan in SoCal?? The station that has the Ducks' rights says they can't broadcast 20-some games because of "conflicts". What's the conflict? Well, there's a popular sports talk show on from 4 to 7 pm, so any of the games that start before 7 on weeknights, they call it a "conflict." Yes, that's right... hockey is being pre-empted for a standard daily sports talk show! :argh:

Makes me want to move to New Jersey.... would you guys welcome another fan? :hail:

NHL blackout issuses are something else. I live in San Diego County, California, and our area is considered part of the Anaheim market -- so the Ducks games are blacked out on Center Ice if they're on a "local" channel. The catch? 20-some games are on a "local" channel that is not available through either cable or satellite in San Diego -- it is a Los Angeles channel that is not offered in San Diego. So, the games are blacked out because KCAL has the rights to our market, even though they do not broadcast in our market!!

Want to know how bad it is being a hockey fan in SoCal?? The station that has the Ducks' rights says they can't broadcast 20-some games because of "conflicts". What's the conflict? Well, there's a popular sports talk show on from 4 to 7 pm, so any of the games that start before 7 on weeknights, they call it a "conflict." Yes, that's right... hockey is being pre-empted for a standard daily sports talk show!  :argh:

Makes me want to move to New Jersey.... would you guys welcome another fan? :hail:

Hehe, we have a similar problem here with the Metro Channel, so you wont find any sympathy here! :P

Last year there were some 20+ games on this channel that most of New Jersey doesn't get. This year it's only 12, so it's a little better.

Anyways, we'd be more than happy to welcome another fan!

EDIT: Just re-read the end of your post. You think being pre-empted for a talk show is bad, how about being pre-empted for a Spanish version of the Knicks game! :angry:

Edited by sammyk

Want to know how bad it is being a hockey fan in SoCal?? The station that has the Ducks' rights says they can't broadcast 20-some games because of "conflicts". What's the conflict? Well, there's a popular sports talk show on from 4 to 7 pm, so any of the games that start before 7 on weeknights, they call it a "conflict." Yes, that's right... hockey is being pre-empted for a standard daily sports talk show! :argh:

Yeah, I've heard from some Dallas fans who the NHL says are in the Dallas market, but they're out of range of the local over-the-air channel that has about 1/2 of the Stars games. And when it's on FSSW, a lot of times they get the Spurs basketball game or something, instead of the Stars games.

So I consider myself very lucky to get to see every Stars game!