Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

Did you just make that up?? because Lou is quoted as saying one of the reasons we brought him in is, in fact, to play well 5-on-5.

“We had an opportunity to get an experienced right shot, puck-moving defensemen, who can also quarterback a power play and has a lot of experience," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said of the trade. "In my opinion, we had a chance to get someone who is better-suited to playing 5-on-5 and moving the puck out of the zone and jumping into the offense the way he can, with the type of forwards we have at this point."

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=618812&navid=DL|NJD|home

Let's be real here, Lou also said he was a top 2 defenseman and that he doesn't worry about what he gives up.

Does anyone realize Palmieri and Vellieux weren't even NHL caliber players?

Not the best deal but better make a move than do absolutely nothing at the deadline and go with what we have.

Of course palms is an NHL player. He was our opening day Rw! He did a lot during our run last year, too. The kid is 22.

Does anyone realize Palmieri and Vellieux weren't even NHL caliber players?

Not the best deal but better make a move than do absolutely nothing at the deadline and go with what we have.

Along with Fayne, Palmieri was one of our breakout young players last year. He was called up out of nowhere to play on a line with Kovalchuk and Zajac and he handled it well. He wasn't even given much of a shot this year.

Let's be real here, Lou also said he was a top 2 defenseman and that he doesn't worry about what he gives up.

Of course Lou doesn't worry what he gives up. That makes perfect sense. He and his scouting team evaluate the worth of players - if a player they give up in trade turns out to be better (or worse) than they evaluated, c'est la vie. Unless it's a chronic issue, that's just what's going to happen when you're dealing with such an imperfect science as projecting who's going to succeed and fail in the NHL. I guarantee Lou is not sitting around thinking about trades he should have made or shouldn't've made.

Of course palms is an NHL player. He was our opening day Rw! He did a lot during our run last year, too. The kid is 22.

Palmieri is a fringe NHL player. He scores goals and that's it, and he doesn't score enough goals.

Along with Fayne, Palmieri was one of our breakout young players last year. He was called up out of nowhere to play on a line with Kovalchuk and Zajac and he handled it well. He wasn't even given much of a shot this year.

Palmieri got lucky that he was in a position last year to play. Yes, he played well. Playing with Kovalchuk and Zajac as a first year player was definitely nice. He's got a decent shot. But, frankly, he's a complete pansy when it comes to playing without the puck. He had a nice opening salvo on a team that was lost at sea most of the year.

I guess we shouldve given up Clarkson last year then, too

Let me know when Palmieri impacts games like Clarkson. Clarkson looked better, to me, at the same age and Clarkson was having to convince people to give him a chance while the Devils were giving Palmieri chances to succeed.

The trade did not come as a surprise. He had asked the Wild for a trade and waived his no-trade for a deal to the Devils.

"I knew a couple (days) before. I asked for Jersey first. That was my first pick," Zidlicky, 35, said. "I just waited for a phone call. It wasn't a surprise for me.

"I like how Jersey plays the games. They have a lot of skilled players and they have a pretty good team. WE have a pretty good team. I believe they can play good hockey. I know a couple Czech guys and I know Ilya Kovalchuk, too. I played against him in the world championships."

"I was hoping. I asked for a trade a couple of weeks ago and this was my first pick," Zidlicky said. "I'm glad I can be part of this team. I'll try to do everything to be good for this team.

"I like the way the Devils play hockey. I like when you spend most time in the offensive zone. That's what I like."

NJ.com

Hell be in the line up tomorrow afternoon against Tampa. I am excited to see him play.

Let me know when Palmieri impacts games like Clarkson. Clarkson looked better, to me, at the same age and Clarkson was having to convince people to give him a chance while the Devils were giving Palmieri chances to succeed.

Its starting to get a bit off-topic here. I'm not trying to compare Clarkson and Palms. I just did so the last post to show that scoring goals and playing with a physical presence (something Palms has the capabilities of doing, like a Clarkson) can make you a valuable NHL player (which all stemmed from someone saying Palms isnt an nhl player, to which I disagreed).

Edited by devlman

Its starting to get a bit off-topic here. I'm not trying to compare Clarkson and Palms. I just did so the last post to show that scoring goals and playing with a physical presence (something Palms has the capabilities of doing, like a Clarkson) can make you a valuable NHL player (which all stemmed from someone saying Palms isnt an nhl player, to which I disagreed).

Palmieri really doesn't do either well enough to be an important NHL player it looks like. I would think his likely career paths at this point are ok role player at NHL level down to is never a real NHL contributor.

I haven't seen anything physically that makes me think Palmieri becomes a really good NHL player and I've seen reasons to think that he won't be an effective NHL player at all. Best case scenario for him is he starts to play much harder, much more physical, and he can really start contributing as a 2nd/3rd line guy who can chip in a few goals. I really question his ability to work hard over multiple games though.

I'm happy with this move. My initial reaction was that we gave up too much. But upon further consideration, we really didn't lose any difference-makers. I am especially intrigued to see how Zidlicky affects the power play. He might not have Foster's big shot but he should be better at distributing the puck. Since we already have Kovy as the featured shooter, I think Zid's a better fit than Foster was. There's no question that he's an improvement over Foster 5-on-5, and if Tallinder doesn't return this year, we will be happy we picked up another veteran body that we can trust with real minutes (i.e. not Foster). This move is clearly about improving the team in the short-term for a playoff run, which I can get behind. We didn't sacrifice and key pieces moving forward so this is a risk worth taking.

And Mike Rupp potted a hat trick with Crosby as his center.

Come on already. He was handed a top line spot to start the year and played himself off it. The only reason Palmieri picked up points is because of who he was playing with. Henrique blew him away and went on to earn top six minutes while Sykora - out of the NHL nearly two years - out performed him as well.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

That's like saying Andreas Salomonsson and Pierre Dagenais were NHL players because they started 2001 with us and Dagenais was going to be the next Mogilny. And Palmeri was a passenger with Kovy and Zajac last year, nothing more.

So this is how I see our lines/pp:

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk----no kidding

Sykora-Elias-Clarkson

Poni-Zubrus-Bernier-----great third line

Carter-JJ-Boulton----who knows how many times this will change down the stretch

Fayne-Greene

Larsson-Salvador

Zidlicky-Volchenkov

PP 1:

Parise-Elias-Clarkson

Kovy- Zidlicky

PP 2:

Sykora-Zubrus-Henrique

Kovy-Fayne/Larsson

I really like the looks of the D. Dont really see a weak link in there and have great depth with Tao. It will be real interesting to see what happens when Tallinder comes back

Sykora-Elias-Clarkson

Fayne-Greene

Larsson-Salvador

Zidlicky-Volchenkov

I really like the looks of the D. Dont really see a weak link in there and have great depth with Tao. It will be real interesting to see what happens when Tallinder comes back

That actually seems like its as good as it gets. First line is deadly. Second is still pretty threatening. Third is solid. Fourth is, well, fourth. I agree though. There doesnt seem to be a REAL weak link anywhere in there.

Sykora-Elias-Clarkson

Fayne-Greene

Larsson-Salvador

Zidlicky-Volchenkov

PP 1:

Parise-Elias-Clarkson

Kovy- Zidlicky

PP 2:

Sykora-Zubrus-Henrique

Kovy-Fayne/Larsson

Shift Zubrus up to the 2nd when Zajac comes back, put Zajac at third line center, drop Sykora to the fourth, and hot DAMN that's a lineup.

That's like saying Andreas Salomonsson and Pierre Dagenais were NHL players because they started 2001 with us and Dagenais was going to be the next Mogilny. And Palmeri was a passenger with Kovy and Zajac last year, nothing more.

Lol not quite. Palms played his way off the top line but the fact that he was given the opportunity there suggests the coaching staff saw he had potential and capabilities.

Lol not quite. Palms played his way off the top line but the fact that he was given the opportunity there suggests the coaching staff saw he had potential and capabilities.

Yeah and they also saw that he didn't seem interested in realizing his potential or capabilities. They demoted him to the 4th line, put him in the minors. Nothing seemed to light a fire with him.

Yeah and they also saw that he didn't seem interested in realizing his potential or capabilities. They demoted him to the 4th line, put him in the minors. Nothing seemed to light a fire with him.

Then again, hes only 22 and still developing. He never seemed to have an attitude or work ethic problem to me.