This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Derek Roy is the type of option I like but for the third line. We badly need centers. I just don't think we can be successful with Elias, Zubrus or Henrique at center either on line 2 or 3.

And enough with this "Lou never goes out and gets the big guy" We got Kovalchuk. We got Schneider too. We got Mogilny. We got Arnott. Lou finds quality guys and brings them in if he feels the fit is right and it's what the team needs.

Personally, I think we're weakest down the middle. I look at Boston, LA and think how could we be in the same league?

Which is why I'm hoping Lou can somehow convince Stastny to come here.

The only way Lou can get Stastny to come to NJ is if he blows him away with a contract that pays him significantly more than any other team. NJ has to be one of the least appealing options for him right now.

You're probably right, but he did spend time here as a kid and his father played here and he and Lou have a good relationship by all accounts... So we have that going for us, which probably 'aint much. Better than nothing I guess lol.

According to Bobo (I think everyone follows him so has read this) Spezza trades are heating up with 3 teams in the West and one in the East. I wonder who that East team is. Has to be in the Metro division. Rangers going for their Richards replacement?

Edit: According to Travis Yost (he has some sources in Ottawa's organization but I wonder if he does in terms of hockey operations), the Eastern team is Florida.

Edited by devilsrule33

Derek Roy is the type of option I like but for the third line. We badly need centers. I just don't think we can be successful with Elias, Zubrus or Henrique at center either on line 2 or 3. 

And enough with this "Lou never goes out and gets the big guy" We got Kovalchuk. We got Schneider too. We got Mogilny. We got Arnott. Lou finds quality guys and brings them in if he feels the fit is right and it's what the team needs.

Personally, I think we're weakest down the middle. I look at Boston, LA and think how could we be in the same league?

I was specifically stating in free agency.  When the the last time Lou signed a big name from free agency?  I never said he doesn't acquire big names.  I specifically stated when does he acquire the biggest free agent on the market?  Kovalchuk was a re-signing, meaning he was already a Devil before he hit the open market.  I guess Volchenkov but look at where that signing is at this moment.  Jagr maybe but he was already on the market for like half the summer. 

According to Bobo (I think everyone follows him so has read this) Spezza trades are heating up with 3 teams in the West and one in the East. I wonder who that East team is. Has to be in the Metro division. Rangers going for their Richards replacement?

Edit: According to Travis Yost (he has some sources in Ottawa's organization but I wonder if he does in terms of hockey operations), the Eastern team is Florida.

Florida eh? Not really who I was expecting...

Great! We're a solid possession team with no finish. That'll get us points.

It's a fancy stay that says we're better than meets the eye. Shoot outs stunk last year and evidently we had the worst goalie in human history playing 38 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yeah, it is pretty obvious he is getting swarmed as he's easily the best UFA out there. Do they mention specific teams before July 1st?

Well, if the NFL, which as a similar interview period is any indication, for some players word leaks out who they're likely to sign with and terms. Didn't seem there was much rhyme or reason as to who you would get the most information about.

Yes they do. We were in the top six in possession last year. Just behind Boston and LA, and ahead of the Rangers I believe.

Or are the goalposts being moved once again?

NJ's possession didn't result in a ton of advantage in shots.  Their shot differential at 5 on 5 was only +155.  I thought they were worse than that in shots though.  Still, a good goalie will certainly help narrow the difference, but no one besides Jagr really moved the needle posession-wise last year and that'll have to change.

NJ's possession didn't result in a ton of advantage in shots.  Their shot differential at 5 on 5 was only +155.  I thought they were worse than that in shots though.  Still, a good goalie will certainly help narrow the difference, but no one besides Jagr really moved the needle posession-wise last year and that'll have to change.

It doesn't help when the Berniers or Giontas on this team are missing empty nets or point-blank chances by shooting wide when 1-on-1... The amount of games we could've won if those 2 could've capitalized is probably 5 or 6. That's the main reason I want Ryan Carter back: from a 3rd/4th line perspective, he was the best of the 3 at forechecking and forcing those chances for his two linemates, who would usually go on to waste them. I'd be curious to see a line of Matteau, Carter, and Zubrus as a replacement to CBGB.

We create glorious chances through 3 of the 4 lines night-in and night-out and then just squandered them horribly across the board.

Edited by DJ Eco

Then why haven't any of them been signed yet? Lou locked all of them up before UFA two years ago.

According to TG, Lou has had conversations with Gio and Carter's agents, but not Bernier's.

Lou also said there's "no question" that he will be looking for offense this year. Maybe some rumors will start leaking out during this interview week leading up to the 1st.

NJ's possession didn't result in a ton of advantage in shots. Their shot differential at 5 on 5 was only +155. I thought they were worse than that in shots though. Still, a good goalie will certainly help narrow the difference, but no one besides Jagr really moved the needle posession-wise last year and that'll have to change.

Would you be on board with a Hemsky addition? He's solid with possession and gaining the zone.

According to TG, Lou has had conversations with Gio and Carter's agents, but not Bernier's.

Lou also said there's "no question" that he will be looking for offense this year. Maybe some rumors will start leaking out during this interview week leading up to the 1st.

I think they're going to give Sislo a shot to get more consistent time. Good to hear Bernier not coming back. It's time to turn the page and reshuffle.

Would you be on board with a Hemsky addition? He's solid with possession and gaining the zone.

I think they're going to give Sislo a shot to get more consistent time. Good to hear Bernier not coming back. It's time to turn the page and reshuffle.

I have mixed feelings about Hemsky.  He's a flashy player that can make the highlights but keep in mind he is 30 years old, and scored just 13 goals (43 points) in 75 GP. He's also coming off a year where he made over 5 million.. not positive that he's the guy we should invest in

Bernier's been the weakest link in CBGB all season. I still see Gionta as the least skilled of the group, but he proves his (low) worth in other ways. Bringing back Carter still at league min. again and Gionta on a 2-way contract again would be a-okay with me, as long as Bernier isn't re-signed. I thought he had potential but I was wrong; someone else deserves his spot on the team.