Langenbrunner to Dallas. 3rd round conditional pick coming back

DevsFan7545

Agreed. This is a team that's less than the sum of its parts. It must be rebuilt. It's also pretty obvious that this is the case, which doesn't help the bargaining power.....

this doesn't matter. the buyers are more desperate than the sellers. the devils are going to miss the playoffs regardless of what they do.

so you think that lou deliberately didn't want to get a 2nd round pick? is that what you are saying? i think langenbrunner is a worse player than wisniewski at this point in their careers, but even if you don't think that, you have to think they're at least close and that one has a no-trade.

Might just be that you're willing to take less to trade him to a non-rival, such as Philly who, reportedly anyway, was offering two 2nds. Although for this year's purposes it wouldn't matter if we traded him to the Rangers and got spanked in the remaining contests.

Well you could also call someone up from Albany who is expected to be a future 1st or 2nd liner. I don't know if any of those guys are ready for that role yet though.

Are you able to identify this mythical creature?

so you think that lou deliberately didn't want to get a 2nd round pick? is that what you are saying? i think langenbrunner is a worse player than wisniewski at this point in their careers, but even if you don't think that, you have to think they're at least close and that one has a no-trade.

No I'm saying Lou might not have had much of a choice but to take the lesser deal (but now it's obvious we are getting a 2nd anyway which makes the deal better, just a matter of whether it's this year or next year). Odds are Jamie was going to be selective on where he waived the no-trade to go since multiple teams were making offers.

Might just be that you're willing to take less to trade him to a non-rival, such as Philly who, reportedly anyway, was offering two 2nds. Although for this year's purposes it wouldn't matter if we traded him to the Rangers and got spanked in the remaining contests.

i have not heard from any source that the flyers were offering 2 2nds. i have heard they were offering two picks. furthermore, philadelphia doesn't have a 2nd in the upcoming draft, they traded it to phoenix in the upshall-carcillo deal. the flyers also do not have a 2nd round pick in 2012, they traded that to tampa bay for andrej meszaros.

Edited by Triumph

No that's why I said I don't know if any of them are ready. I was just pointing out that having another checking line player on a scoring line isn't the only way to have Langenbrunner off the top two lines.

Philly doesn't even have a 2nd this year so I doubt that was true. More likely it was a 3rd and a 5th.

Grabbed this from Devils All The Way over on HF.com

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=30039955&postcount=245

Tremblay talking about Jamie...

He said that Jamie was a negative leader for the past two years. He said that Lemaire benched Langenbrunner in OT in a crucial game towards the end of last year and was selected by JL for the shootout and Jamie told him he wasn't going. Parise talked to Jamie on the bench and Jamie decided to go. There was several little "fights" between JL and our ex-captain and moving him out of that locker room will be a positive for the NJD.

I'm not sure where Tremblay is interviewing right now, but this guy and Jamie sure didn't get along. Tremblay is also the guy who said they wanted to take the C off Jamie last season but they decided Langs would be too mad about it and decided not to.

Philly doesn't even have a 2nd this year so I doubt that was true. More likely it was a 3rd and a 5th.

Fine, but the details of other supposed offers isn't the issue. It's meant to illustrate a plausible scenario where a team would take less in a trade than what other teams were offering. See., e.g., Johan Santana trade.

Edited by Daniel

No that's why I said I don't know if any of them are ready. I was just pointing out that having another checking line player on a scoring line isn't the only way to have Langenbrunner off the top two lines.

Yes, saw that disclaimer after I responded. Apologies.

Wasn't there a kerfuffle because Jamie didn't come out and salute when he was one of the three stars against Atlanta?

Ya, Langenbrunner already knew he was gone at that point, we now know with hindsight, so apparently coming out for the 3 stars was too much since he's not legally obligated to do that to fulfill his contract.

I don't care about the 3 stars really, I just want to emphasize what a sourpuss he seemed to have been, from the outside looking in, for the last year or so.

Ya, Langenbrunner already knew he was gone at that point, we now know with hindsight, so apparently coming out for the 3 stars was too much since he's not legally obligated to do that to fulfill his contract.

I don't care about the 3 stars really, I just want to emphasize what a sourpuss he seemed to have been, from the outside looking in, for the last year or so.

If Langs knew he was gone it would have been a nice image for him to come out during the three stars. It would have been meaningful.

If Langs knew he was gone it would have been a nice image for him to come out during the three stars. It would have been meaningful.

At least play the part and do a good acting job. Damn, look at Rollie. His situation was WAY worse than Lags. The whole world knew we tried to get rid of Rolston, and that he was only playing because nobody else wanted him and we are stuck with him....

if you don't know what the conditions are, it's pretty silly to judge this deal quite yet. this is what you get for not waiting for the deadline, by the way - values go down, not up, because teams don't want the extra salary.

you think he'd have been worth more at the deadline? i'm confused here.

I'm glad Lou asked Langenbrunner to waive his NTC this past offseason, I'm not glad that Langenbrunner said no. :lol:

yeah - nice to know. once you're asked, the writings on teh wall

Grabbed this from Devils All The Way over on HF.com

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=30039955&postcount=245

I'm not sure where Tremblay is interviewing right now, but this guy and Jamie sure didn't get along. Tremblay is also the guy who said they wanted to take the C off Jamie last season but they decided Langs would be too mad about it and decided not to.

I wonder where this interview actually is? I don't read HF much. Does this poster have enough of a reputation to where it's safe to assume this post is reliable?

I wonder where this interview actually is? I don't read HF much. Does this poster have enough of a reputation to where it's safe to assume this post is reliable?

Ya, it was on one of the French radio stations it was mentioned later. He posted the links over there but I don't know French so it doesn't help me much. :lol: I don't think it's being made up, but that's just my opinion.

Ya, it was on one of the French radio stations it was mentioned later. He posted the links over there but I don't know French so it doesn't help me much. :lol: I don't think it's being made up, but that's just my opinion.

Hmmm ... makes me wonder how many Langs stories are gonna start popping up now that he's gone.

you think he'd have been worth more at the deadline? i'm confused here.

depends on the team and the way the season goes but he might have been worth more to the right team, yes. the possibility of more injuries and the need to get into the postseason, plus the diminished amount of cap room and salary he would take up.

i mean it's not likely his play is going to turn around any time soon, so keeping him in the hopes of maybe scoring a C grade prospect or better 2nd round pick would have been silly.

Edited by Triumph

depends on the team and the way the season goes but he might have been worth more to the right team.

Max return value probably would have come at the deadline, IMO. But, at this point, it seems like there must have been implied value in just getting him away from the team ASAP.

I don't think the value we got is too bad, considering how badly his play deteriorated and how limited the field of bidders was thanks to the NTC. That last element alone will always drag down returns.

i want to hear this confirmed, but if its a 3rd conditionally becoming a 2nd, lou did a bad job. that's really terrible when you consider that every other player dealt over the last two years has gotten at least a 2nd and that wisnewski got a 2nd and a 5th.

This may have been said already, but I have a feeling this deal was like the Pandolfo buyout... Lou wanted to "do right" by Langenbrunner, especially since he has a NTC, rather than just ship him out.