Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts both sign 2 year deals with Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I DARE anyone to dubb THEM buttbuddies!

:P:boogie::lol:

Anyhow what I was going to say is so much for our whole stock market floor idea huh, Sue? Two old geezers sign for a crappy team in retirementville USA... man hockey has hit the skids afterall...

Edited by Darwindog

Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts both sign 2 year deals with Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I DARE anyone to dubb THEM buttbuddies!

:P:boogie::lol:

Anyhow what I was going to say is so much for our whole stock market floor idea huh, Sue? Two old geezers sign for a crappy team in retirementville USA... man hockey has hit the skids afterall...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The stock market floor idea was another great idea never to be used. :saddevil:

But Keenan is a coach who will play these two guys all the minutes they want. He loves vets. So it's a good fit for them - I can't say whether it will vastly improve Florida or not. But they'll play as much as they want.

2.25 mil each per year. I think that's a little bit over paid. But then again, Newy's leader ship is probably worth that, and in order to get him the Panthers had to agree to get Roberts for the same price too. Good move though by Keenen, get some vetern leadership in there for his young team.

If you think about it, it's more than half of what Elias is getting. It still doesn't seem right - still too high. But if Keenan wants to pay it...he'd better hope it works out. Because I just remember the days when he was spending money like a crazy man in St. Louis for absolutely NOTHING.

a combined 4.5 mil for 2 burned out players who will play 40 games but provide leadership in those 4 games.

genius iron mike. when you should have gone for proven defense you went the typical route of burned out leader good job.

hopefully some of their leadershpi will trasnfer over to the rest of hte locker room.

p.s. 5 bucks says either roberts or nieuwy are the new captain upon arrival.

Ugh. That is just awful. Sue, Keenan isn't the coach. That job falls on Jacques Martin. True. Florida needs leadership. But this reeks of a Rangeresque kind of move. Man.

Ugh. That is just awful. Sue, Keenan isn't the coach. That job falls on Jacques Martin. True. Florida needs leadership. But this reeks of a Rangeresque kind of move. Man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. I keep forgetting they hired the guy (I wouldn't want to be employed by Keenan). It's not the move itself I have a problem with, though. It's the $$$. Joe shouldn't be making more than $750K and Gary not more than $1.5, if that. But Keenan never let price get in the way of what he wanted to do in the old days and I guess he's not going to let it stand in his way now - cap or no cap.

keep in mind that florida's cap number was very low and they needed to get to where they could get some revenue sharing $$. this works because it's an easy one year signing that might work out and might not. its relatively risk free and does provide leadership for a young team. i actually think that it was a good move for the panthers.

I think Nieuwy does have a year left or so, not sure about Roberts though I remember him having a good first half with Toronto in '04? But it was basically a package deal anyway and when Lyle Odelein qualifies as 'veteran leadership' they did need to do something on that front :lol:

I think it's a very good move for the Panthers too. There's Four Stanley Cups and 250 playoff games at least between the two of them. What better guys to bring into a locker room? These guys love the game more than life itself.

This isn't Rangersesque. Rangersesque would be signing a guy like Nedved to get yourself over the cap number. I think Keenan's brought in two solid veterans here.

With all the news I forgot, can you go over the cap? What was the penalty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if you've got someone on IR and pick up someone to replace him. And as soon as that player comes off IR, you have to come back into compliance with the cap.

But nothing I have seen tells you what the penalty is if you screw up.

A week listening to Bettman and Campbell lecture you on your evilness?? That would be enough for me to slit my throat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.