GDT: Devils @ Avalanche 9:00 PM EST

ThreeCups

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Chico said they did do some practice for the shootout during one of the recent practices

Yeah Pete actually just said the practiced it yesterday. Well, it didn't help I guess lol. But they should keep practicing it anyway. When you suck at something as bad as the Devils do at the shootout and its costing you points in the standings, you keep working on it.

What the hell good is it gonna do to practice the shootout on Cory? He'll make fayne look like dangleberry.

It's to find players who have hands and any skill whatsoever at this. That means guys who don't miss the net, can't shoot high, can't deke in close...things like that. Who knows? Maybe a guy like Zidlicky steps up or someone you wouldn't expect. But, at this stage it's inexcusable for Pete not to try something outside the box. What's he got to lose? Another loss with no goals scored? Maybe one question from TG as to why he put Zidlicky or Carter or whomever out there as a 1-3?  

Me too but let's not sugar coat this. Just on the shootouts and only shootouts Corey has been ass.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. He has been off the charts good this last stretch of games, but he is horrible in the SO. Yet again, if we ever scored more than 1 goal per game for him, we wouldn't even be in the SO to begin with.

hopefully they can win on saturday. they have been playing a bit better than usual hopefully they keep this up and get 2 pts consistently from here on out. 

The Coyotes have a leaky defense, and Mike Smith is pretty inconsistent.  That's definitely a team we can score some goals on.

On my team we play "Juice Boy" at the end of every session.

Last three left in at the end have to do a forfeit, (our club its 3) collect pucks 2) take the nets off the ice 1) buy Juice for everyone at the next training session). I think the Devils should get in on this.

Or to make it competitive, 6 pucks on each blue line, teams split across two benches, goalies in opposing nets, first team to score all 6 of their pucks wins.

Clearly this has become a psycological problem, so mmaybe by making the practice session fun they might change their perception.

Great to see Cory have another strong start, and solidify his hold on being the #1.  He's now 4th in GAA and 11th in save%.  Great, in that he's keeping the Devils in games, and at least giving them a chance to win or come away with a charity point.

Shootout...same ol' story, both in the futility and the reaction to it.  Armchair coaches will scream for as much shootout practice time as possible, stat guys will claim the law of averages will at least lead to some shootout wins eventually. 

I think at this point, they've just got to find a way to win ONE.  I agree with those who think it's now purely psychological.  Sadly, until proven otherwise, if I'm the opposing team I elect to shoot first with my best guy, because I pretty much know that the Devils' psyche is so fragile in these right now, that all I have to do is get a 1-0 lead, and everyone shooting for the black and red is going to tighten up.  That damned monkey is getting to be more like Donkey Kong every shootout...I truly believe they'll all breathe easier once they win one, but they've got to find a way to do it (even if it's all based on lucky breaks).   

Schneider has mostly been about average (maybe a little above) in shootouts for his career, so even if the Devils DO start to score in these things, I can't really expect them to be much better than .500, tops (which of course, we'll all happily take).  But considering Schneider stops 92%+ of the pucks coming his way during game time, I'll live with him not tearing it up in an event that happens about 1/5th of the time in any given season, at most.

I feel for PDB and the Devils on this one.  Sure, you can practice this to the point of almost being punishment.  But how much can you do?  Easy for fans to come up with ideas, as though any of them will solve the problem.  But it's almost like trying to take a hitter who strikes out a lot and teach him to make contact.  Sometimes those guys manage to cut down on their Ks for a short period, maybe longer, but they are who they are...before long they're racking up the whiffs again.  Unfortunately I think for most guys, you're pretty good at this or you're not.  We saw Kovy improve tremendously for a time, but how many guys really have a switch flick like that?   

What sucks is, no matter what PDB does, he's kind of screwed from the get-go.  The couple of guys (Clowe and Elias, the only Devils' shooters with career shooting%s over 30) PDB has that have at least a decent track record in these aren't scoring.  Zidlicky is third lifetime on the Devils at 28.6%, but hasn't been used yet this season. 

Who knows if it will make any difference, but at this point, fvck it, try Elias, Clowe, and Zidlicky out there the next couple of times and hope their track records lead to a win.  And hope Schneider (if he's the one in net) stops more than half the shots (he's currently at 50%). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

When my unit does marksmanship training, we don't shoot at dark men in mandresses scurrying across sandy flatlands or up and down mountainsides.

We shoot at paper targets, but there's still training value, so maybe taking a couple breakaway runs at Cory or Marty during practice would help everyone get more comfortable. It might benefit the goalies too, who also have work to do when it comes to shootouts.

So all forms of practice won't help then?

I thought I heard that PDB did have them practice the shootout this week ... and our best forward during it was CamJan.  There might be some value in practicing it consistently, but its still a skills competition and we don't have players with a high level of offensive skill.  Jagr and Elias are our most skilled players.  Yet, Jagr - for some reason - always sucked at the SO and Elias can't lift the puck off the ice after he dekes the goalie out of his jock.     

Chico was spot on last night, Patty needs to get that back hand up. as do most on this team. butterfly goalies are just too dam good going side to side these days!  OH well happy with the point, happy we hung with these kids.  not happy with how easy we were knocked off the puck last night, even two of our best "possessors" travis and zubie were smeared easily, yet their goalie needed to come up big to save them as well.  Fn rags keep winning though

I thought I heard that PDB did have them practice the shootout this week ... and our best forward during it was CamJan.  There might be some value in practicing it consistently, but its still a skills competition and we don't have players with a high level of offensive skill.  Jagr and Elias are our most skilled players.  Yet, Jagr - for some reason - always sucked at the SO and Elias can't lift the puck off the ice after he dekes the goalie out of his jock.     

I agree, from my youth and now my kids team practices they finish one practice a week with a shoot out competition! and the best skaters rarely win it. its a great equalizer and fun. like any sport activity practice is essential. but this team is beyond practice , they need hockey;s Sigmund Freud

Salvador was god awful. How I wish Larsson can just replace him...

Is it me or did DeBoer bench Salvador for most of the 3rd period? I haven't looked at TOI numbers but I didn't see Salvador for the longest time, while I saw Gelinas and Merrill (who probably played his best game of the season, by the way) almost every other shift.

Chico was spot on last night, Patty needs to get that back hand up. as do most on this team.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy, he called it before Elias even started skating up to the puck.

Is it me or did DeBoer bench Salvador for most of the 3rd period? I haven't looked at TOI numbers but I didn't see Salvador for the longest time, while I saw Gelinas and Merrill (who probably played his best game of the season, by the way) almost every other shift.

Salvador had the least amount of shifts in the final period + OT (zero shifts in OT).